Awekward feeling about utau.

Pyremageyun

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So, I know I've posted a thread basically giving people a bit of encouragement to try to fight their fear of "my utau sounds horrible." or "my voice sounds like shit." and I'm glad that thread is helping people overcome that fear.

However, I've noticed something that's been making me feel a bit confused (yet happy and scared in a way) and it's mainly because I never even thought about this bit.

When I get comments saying "I love your Utau's Voice." I feel really happy but then, later on, I realize that I never really voice acted my utau nor add any effects to my voice to alter it, i just used my normal voice.....is that kind of like someone saying "I love your voice"?

And then I start getting a bit scared cause if (HUGE IF) I were to meet some of you in real life at some anime con and you guys heard the way I talk (not tone but more or less getting what I want to say out)...In all honesty, I struggle with communication skills outside of online forums and social media...despite all that I learned in my life so far.

I'm just wondering has anyone on here felt that way when they first started out?

小_Victor

Teto's Territory
Hello, @Pyremageyun and hello to you who are reading!

These days ago I was getting ready to write a feedback about your UTAU because our fandom really likes giving feedback. Seeing your thread I understood perfectly, I even understand what you feel, 3 years ago I had the same behavior and I understand how damaging it is to our performance in fandom.
I wanted all of you to understand that we should never overestimate who is behind the voices of the UTAUs, because this causes voicer discomfort (this has happened to me) and I fell into that existential crisis about people being disappointed, but incredible as it may seem it is not so that works.

:bigtears:

From the fandom where I am, people are not afraid to demonstrate the real voice because they know that UTAU is something that should be taken seriously sometimes, but we usually understand it as a great hobby. So we are always in call, we are always accepting feedback, we are always enthusiastic not only with UTAU but with the simple things that happen in our lives, in short, it is a blockage that must be broken in order to have a great harmony in each country's fandom and also among fandons from different countries.

:creepy:

Reactions: Pyremageyun

Pyremageyun

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hello, @Pyremageyun and hello to you who are reading!

These days ago I was getting ready to write a feedback about your UTAU because our fandom really likes giving feedback. Seeing your thread I understood perfectly, I even understand what you feel, 3 years ago I had the same behavior and I understand how damaging it is to our performance in fandom.
I wanted all of you to understand that we should never overestimate who is behind the voices of the UTAU, because this causes voicer discomfort (this has happened to me) and I fell into that existential crisis about people being disappointed, but incredible as it may seem it is not so that works.

:bigtears:

From the fandom where I am, people are not afraid to demonstrate the real voice because they know that UTAU is something that should be taken seriously sometimes, but we usually understand it as a great hobby. So we are always in call, we are always accepting feedback, we are always enthusiastic not only with UTAU but with the simple things that happen in our lives, in short, it is a blockage that must be broken in order to have a great harmony in each country's fandom and also among fandons from different countries.

:creepy:

Thanks Victor (excuse me for not putting the symbol for your user name x.x still learning...) But yeah, like I said, I know I've posted a thread about how people should try to overcome their initial fear of the recording process and a tidbit that helps them show them how powerful their utaus can be. I just never thought about this bit where people would get discomfort when people say "I love your utau's voice" that could potentially cause the voicer to think the thoughts I did.

TO EVERYONE:

I just wanted you to know I really do appreciate the criticism and the comments. And I apologize if this thread gave you guys the wrong impression. Despite all that I learned in my life I'm still trying to apply that stuff for myself. And I did feel a bit of discomfort about those comments saying "I love your Utau's voice" (mostly because I'm not used to seeing or hearing comments about my voice at all...so it kind of throws me off a bit.) BUT OVERALL I'm really happy that my utau brings joy to you all. I'm going to continue to make covers with him! And when I find the pieces to the mic i used to record him I'll probably make a new voicebank! (if i find the pieces......moving's a pain T^T;

VY2's Sexy Lover

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I was actually planning on using Ryuji in one of my covers at some point because there are many aspects about him that I like.

I certainly felt weird when I first started creating UTAU, mainly because people would say "I like your UTAUs voice but I wish it wasn't so accented." That was very much a like 'Thanks...? But I have an accent even in English, so how would I go about un-accenting in Japanese, a language that I don't speak fluently to begin with?'

It wasn't until a bit later on that I realized that even when you use your regular singing voice for your UTAU, it isn't really your voice? It's your voice through a synthesizer and it can sound dramatically different, and have different character even if you change minute things about it.

There's so much more to your UTAU than just your voice, there's his design, configuration, technical limitations... You get the picture.

Also trust me, most people wouldn't be able to recognize you off of the way you talk (or tone) alone. I've spoken with many people (some at conventions) that don't even recognize I voiced an UTAU they like... It's kinda awkward more than anything:annoyed:

Pyremageyun

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I was actually planning on using Ryuji in one of my covers at some point because there are many aspects about him that I like.

I certainly felt weird when I first started creating UTAU, mainly because people would say "I like your UTAU voice but I wish it wasn't so accented." That was very much a like 'Thanks...? But I have an accent even in English, so how would I go about un-accenting in Japanese, a language that I don't speak fluently to begin with?'

It wasn't until a bit later on that I realized that even when you use your regular singing voice for your UTAU, it isn't really your voice? It's your voice through a synthesizer and it can sound dramatically different, and have different character even if you change minute things about it.

There's so much more to your UTAU than just your voice, there's his design, configuration, technical limitations... You get the picture.

Also trust me, most people wouldn't be able to recognize you off of the way you talk (or tone) alone. I've spoken with many people (some at conventions) that don't even recognize I voiced an UTAU they like... It's kinda awkward more than anything:annoyed:

haha I guess you're right! I also kind of forgot about that bit about your voice in a synthesizer form and that people wouldn't recognize it right off the bat. But yeah, umm I'm going to put a new download link for him as he has some oto's that are fixed (especially the vowels) and a few new ones that were made especially for the use of making him sing engrish...still not 100% done with the otos but a good majority of them are done (probably enough where I can just sit down on a day off from work and be done with it and add more when I decide to do another engrish cover)

Reactions: VY2's Sexy Lover