Best Korean Voicebank Reclist?

feelingiconiic

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hi there! So I'm planning on experimenting with Korean in UTAU for my Cirro音 voicebank, and what I'm asking is what's the best Korean reclist out there? More specifically, what reclist is primarily used in the Korean UTAU community? Are there any tutorials as well?

nneko

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Kitane Sno has a couple of Korean voices. You can download and study them if you want to see how to make your own.
EDIT: I've just found out that the VCCV links are broken. I do have a copy of VCCV 2.0 reclist, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to redistribute.

Korean VCCV

Korean CVCCV

I also recommend studying how hangul works, because like English, Korean words can be pronounced differently to how it is written in some cases. Recognizing these patterns can help improve your pronunciations.

Last edited:

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Please whatever you do don't use the VCCV reclist. It's heavily modeled on CZ's VCCV reclist, to the point that it includes alias types that aren't even valid in Korean for the sake of copying VCCV. So much of the reclist is redundant or not even necessary to begin with. For example, it includes separate CC and_CV aliases for y/w glides (eg, [gy]+[_ya]), but also includes dedicated CCVs for all of the y/w glides with all consonants (eg [gya]). It also makes you record 3 syllable lines for a single CC alias that could've easily been taken from a different existing part of the reclist, simply because English VCCV originally had similar lines with 3 syllables even though English VCCV used them for more than just one alias and used them for a vowel in English that can only be achieved in a very specific context, which has no bearing on Korean. The reclist was clearly trying to blindly copy English VCCV without considering the fact that English VCCV is structured specifically for English and Korean isn't English.

Feel free to DM me for a link to my CVVC reclist if you're interested. My goal in making it was to make an eve-style CVVC reclist that has little redundancy or wasted syllables (as a result there isn't a fixes line length and lines vary from 2-5 syllables). Its not finalized, but its fully functional. Here's the most recent thing I've done with it, although its not a finalized demo

Also, seconding the last bit that nneko said about learning how hangul works. A lot of consonants (and less commonly, vowels) can change depending on what's next to them and this becomes really important when using Korean VBs so that the pronunciation can be correct.

Last edited:

nneko

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Thanks to this thread, I think I'm going down a rabbit hole, so I better post what I found before I get lost. I didn't think it would be so hard finding lists (though I'm probably looking in the wrong places).

Zetty Korean List (description says CVVC, but the blog says CVC)
(Video description has links to the vb and reclist; link below goes to another page with reclist and guide BGM)

Korean VCV (no list, but I think it's interesting, so I put it here anyway)

Last edited:
Reactions: feelingiconiic

feelingiconiic

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Please whatever you do don't use the VCCV reclist. It's heavily modeled on CZ's VCCV reclist, to the point that it includes alias types that aren't even valid in Korean for the sake of copying VCCV. So much of the reclist is redundant or not even necessary to begin with. For example, it includes separate CC and_CV aliases for y/w glides (eg, [gy]+[_ya]), but also includes dedicated CCVs for all of the y/w glides with all consonants (eg [gya]). It also makes you record 3 syllable lines for a single CC alias that could've easily been taken from a different existing part of the reclist, simply because English VCCV originally had similar lines with 3 syllables even though English VCCV used them for more than just one alias and used them for a vowel in English that can only be achieved in a very specific context, which has no bearing on Korean. The reclist was clearly trying to blindly copy English VCCV without considering the fact that English VCCV is structured specifically for English and Korean isn't English.

Feel free to DM me for a link to my CVVC reclist if you're interested. My goal in making it was to make an eve-style CVVC reclist that has little redundancy or wasted syllables (as a result there isn't a fixes line length and lines vary from 2-5 syllables). Its not finalized, but its fully functional. Here's the most recent thing I've done with it, although its not a finalized demo

Also, seconding the last bit that nneko said about learning how hangul works. A lot of consonants (and less commonly, vowels) can change depending on what's next to them and this becomes really important when using Korean VBs so that the pronunciation can be correct.

Hi there again :smile:! This thread's a couple months old, but I'm actually interested in additional languages again! I've gotten more advance is voicebank production, and I'm about over halfway done with JADE's ARPAsing voicebank and I'd love to record a proper Korean voicebank for her as well. WinterdrivE, if you wouldn't mind, I'd be more than honored to record my Korean voicebank using your reclist! And thank you all to who replied to this thread, it means a lot to me :smile:!
Post automatically merged:

Oh, sorry I forgot to add; is there any way to avoid having a Japanese accent when recording Korean? I'm a native English speaker with intermediate Japanese knowledge, but I talked with some people at my school who are knowledgeable about Korean and when I practiced they said I sounded funny when speaking, and said I had a Japanese-ish accent ;-;. Is there other people with this problem as well?

**Also "Cirro音" was a private vb and was just for experimental purposes :smile:! I work on JADE now as she's a public voicebank, I thought I'd add that to avoid confusion!

nneko

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Accents are hard to get rid of unless you go to extremes to get rid of it (please don't).

However, here is what I noticed about Korean pronunciation:
오 (O sound) and 우 (U sound) it sounds like the lips are "tighter" compared to Japanese.
ㄹ as an ending consonant (L sound), the tongue curls further towards the back of the mouth.
Ending consonants like K, P, and T are not pronounced; they are stops.

There are more, but to put them all here might result in a long, confusing list.
Listening to native speakers (and even analyzing native Korean voice banks) does help in a small way.
In my opinion, I wouldn't stress out too much about having an accent unless it's so thick that no one understands what you are saying.

Reactions: feelingiconiic

feelingiconiic

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ahh, I see! Thank you for these tips, I'll research more and listen to native Korean voicebanks (listening and then repeating what I hear helps a lot for me)! I appreciate it :smile:!