Best Website to set up your UTAUloid's official site?

RollieRyttle

The Sensible NonSensical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Okay, so I've seen that a lot of people use Blogger, Google Sites, Tumblr, and Weebly as the hub for their UTAUloids and UTAU related projects.
There isn't really a general consensus on which site is best, so I'd like to know if anyone wanted to share the pros and cons of their most recommended site-host-places?

Personally, I'm interested in a temporary "home-base" until I learn enough html 5 (from the mandatory WebDev class I'm taking anyway, lol) to build my own small, independent site. I still want to open the discussion though since I've been weighing the possibilities in my mind for a while anyway.

Other things to think about:
Is it different for UTAUgroups vs. solo users?
Is it different if you have multiple UTAUloids vs. a single one?
Blog format vs. Site format?
Dos and Don'ts in general?

comet3

local rain enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
1. I recommend Weebly because of its simple system. I tried Blogger, but I found it clunky. I tried Google Sites, but the embedding wasn't working for me. (And a lot of other things I didn't like.) I tried Tumblr, but I didn't like it... (I use Tumblr for personal stuff though. And I scroll. I'm obsessed :cry:) With Weebly, I found it easy to use and link and put together and stuff. Plus, their urls are simple (unlike Google Sites). If you wanna see, i'm at rainyvoice.weebly.com.

2. The difference between groups and solo users... not much, I guess. You'll probably need more pages with an UTAU group, but that's pretty much all I see.

3. Well, when you have only one UTAU, people I've seen tend to name the site and kind of base the entire thing on the one UTAU. Personally I've just created pages and things for each UTAU I have. Some people make a seperate site for each UTAU (which I see as kind of pointless).

4. I think the best format would be blog+site, which you can do in all the options you listed (except GOOGLE SITES!). That way you can give your UTAUs pages and all sorts of good things while keeping a blog to update people on releases and stuff like that.

DONE! I hope my advice was useful. I've tried many times (unsuccesfully) to make a site like this so I have quite a bit of experience :wink:
(But I have one now so yay)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ono and Mazing

RollieRyttle

The Sensible NonSensical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
With Weebly, I found it easy to use and link and put together and stuff. Plus, their urls are simple (unlike Google Sites). If you wanna see, i'm at pluvutau.weebly.com.
I think the best format would be blog+site, which you can do in all the options you listed (except GOOGLE SITES!). That way you can give your UTAUs pages and all sorts of good things while keeping a blog to update people on releases and stuff like that.
I really like your site, it's clean and well organized. I'll definitely look more into weebly then!
And I think you're right about that blog+site idea~ parts that act like a recent works "showcase" stream and other parts that are static information sections seem pretty neat!

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I don't know if you already made your decision, but I personally use Wix.com for the creation and design of my website. Pros are really easy HTML 5 customization, really you just drag and drop things like images and textblocks where you'd like them to go, and adding things like videos and photo galleries is super simple to and there's a lot of preset options for how you want it to look. You can also embed your Blogger feeds or Tumblr even if you already have an offsite blog. It's a really nice, sleek interface to work with and very simple to use.

The only downside though is there is a really annoying advertisement bar at the bottom of the page, and you can only get rid of it by buying one of the more expensive subscriptions. But it's sort of out of the way, I find it a little annoying but I put up with it because I think the pros outweigh the one con. There may be other downsides but honestly I'm hardpressed to think of them.

If you wanna see what I mean by the bar at the bottom of the page, you can see it on my own site lol: The Sound of Clouds

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
To me, I found out that Weebly is very suitable for those who are not good at HTML and CSS customizing. Even I use it to build a website for my UTAU character(s) although I find it's really hard to get a better website theme compared to the free themes offered there.

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It depends on what you want to do plus what kind of audience you want.
Weebly is a good site if you want a website, but I say tumblr is better for advertising and updating purposes.
I personally use Tumblr, it's not that hard to use and it's very easy to get a customized theme and thus website.

Reactions: Lorreine Geralde

Ono

Teto's Territory
Yeah, I agree with pluvumi. Weebly is a good but if you're not feeling up to that one, you can check out wix.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't recommend wix....As you need flash to view the website and there are too many things that tempt a person to make it ugly and slow

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
As stated by others, Weebly is a good choice. Some other alternates would be Jimdo and Google Sites, if Weebly don't seem to suit you. Never used Wix, so I can't vouch for that one...

If you're handy with HTML and CSS, Angelfire is also an option.

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
I like tumblr because the blog formats are nice, clean, and you can connect to other UTAU users on the site. Especially if you don't need a hundred links on your blog, but there's always the option to edit HTML in order to achieve that.

Chorvaqueen

tonileon apologist
Supporter
Weebly and tumblr seems to be a good choice.

Weebly- newbie friendly
tumblr- I guess it would be easier to share(?)