can anyone teach me how to mix Circus-P Songs?

❤️PuririnLuka❤️

Arsloids Guardian
Defender of Defoko
So I know how to mix, but when I mix Circus-P song's I always have a hard time making the vocaloid voices sound nicely, their either too loud, too low, and if it's normal, it doesn't sound good at all, can anyone teach me how to mix his songs?
the song I am trying to mix is FADE with Bruno and Clara​

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What do you use for mixing? I'm personally proficient in FL Studio, but as long as it's not something like Audacity, I should be able to offer some tips.

Truly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
and i'm sitting in Ableton Live, so if it's that i may be able to lend a hand.

even so... by and large it's all the same stuff. so even if you ARE working in Audacity... well, i can tell you how to apply the same practices.

❤️PuririnLuka❤️

Arsloids Guardian
Defender of Defoko
What do you use for mixing? I'm personally proficient in FL Studio, but as long as it's not something like Audacity, I should be able to offer some tips.
I use FL Studio 12 to do my mixing, I mixed before, but Circus songs are hard to mix xP
[doublepost=1481864822][/doublepost]
and i'm sitting in Ableton Live, so if it's that i may be able to lend a hand.

even so... by and large it's all the same stuff. so even if you ARE working in Audacity... well, i can tell you how to apply the same practices.
I usually use FL Studio for mixing, I haven't touched Audacity since I got FL lol, but other than that, but some tips would be helpful

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Since your main issue is with volume level, I would recommend doing this.

Vocaloid is sometimes very quiet, so to bring it up to a workable level, you can normalize the audio clip. Double click on the audio clip in the Playlist, and check Normalize under Precomputed Effects.

upload_2016-12-16_18-17-39.png

Then, you can use a compressor to even out the volumes. I prefer using Fruity Limiter's compressor mode, because it's more visual. At the bottom, there's a button where you can toggle between "LIMIT" and "COMP"

All compressors have threshold and ratio. How it works is that it takes all audio louder than a specific threshold volume, and reduces it according to the ratio. So if the threshold is -6dB and ratio 2:1, then something that is -4dB will become -5dB, something -2dB becomes -4dB, and so on. Then you can use gain to bring it back up if it's too quiet. This evens out the volume of the vocals over the course of the whole song.

upload_2016-12-16_18-21-26.png

It seems to me that Circus tends to compress fairly hard, ie with a lower threshold and higher ratio.

If you don't want the vocals to stay a single volume, then you could automate the levels in the mixer. Right click on the handle and make a new automation clip in the Playlist, where you can add points and change the volume over the course of the song.

upload_2016-12-16_18-22-18.png

I'm listening to FADE again, to note any specific effects.
The prechorus seems to be distortion and a high pass filter, though maybe there's also a low pass filter. Use the second preset in Parametric EQ 2 to get two cutoffs, and adjust them until it sounds about right.
The bridge opens with vocal chops with the same distortion+filter, and ends with echoing. While the echoes could be done using Delay, in this case it's probably better to do it by cutting the audio clips up and repeating them. If you make them unique, you can route them to a separate mixer track, and apply more effects. There seems to be filter/more reverb.

upload_2016-12-16_18-30-56.png

It also has glitching, which can either be done by zooming in finely and cutting up the audio clips again, or using Gross Beat. Cutting audio clips may not be the best method for this particular song, because the glitching is so fine it buzzes.

Opening the provided VSQ, it's untuned and contains only the melody. Circus employs layering to make the vocals sound a lot more thick/full, so you may want to render multiple octaves, compose harmonies, and carefully observe the original for any other background vocals. If you're not using the officially provided VSQ, then I don't know what it comes with.

Reactions: Piia