Can this pass off as female?

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Hi! So this morning I recorded an UTAU. A female one. Yet I am male. :O So I was wondering, could this potentially pass off as a female voice? (I know it's rough sounding, I threw it together in a few hours and haven't had much time to tweak things like the OTO and rerecordings).

NO g flag:
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/anttaffy/no-g-flag-test[/soundcloud]

g-5 (and Y0) flag:
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/anttaffy/g-5-flag[/soundcloud]

Keep in mind that this isn't going to be a trap; I'm going for a legitimate female UTAU. Also this was hilarious to make and was done between random giggle fits. >:D

Apparatus

Momo's Minion
OH!~ yes yes yes this is perfectly fine!
She sounds adorable. ;D

I have a lower voice for a girl so i tend to use a g flag as well.
she sounds more feminine than my utau will ever be. XD
pitch is perfectly fine. O v O

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Depends on what kind of female you're lookin' for~

I say the first one sounds more womanly. And the second one is more cute. Personally I like the first one better;; But I think it could pass for a lady if you choose a not-so-cute design.

Then again Iris has a cute design and look at her;;

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I tried to make it look mature, but then this happened (ignore the terribad hands):

conceptz.png

I really wanted this color scheme, so I kept it, but the character itself looks too cute. Of course, I modified it a LOT from my original idea, no poofy skirt or bows or anything, haha. I like the way it came out, but I don't know if it matches the voice. :o I guess I'll use g flags then.

Also the things in her hair are mint leaves, she's based of of neapolitan ice cream. Also, is it too simple?

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It is a little simple but I still like it. Why not give her longer hair? I dunno...usually when I see females with long hair they come off as more mature for some reason, unless it's in a cutsey style like pigtails. And then you could give her a light sweater to wear. That being said I also think your style is playing into her being so cutesy looking~ Try making the eyes more narrow and give her some eyelashes~

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
IrisFlower link said:
It is a little simple but I still like it. Why not give her longer hair? I dunno...usually when I see females with long hair they come off as more mature for some reason, unless it's in a cutsey style like pigtails. And then you could give her a light sweater to wear. That being said I also think your style is playing into her being so cutesy looking~ Try making the eyes more narrow and give her some eyelashes~

Ah, good ideas! I'll revise it later.

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Hey cooooool 8O8O I think she's sounding fine even without the g flag...don't worry about passing, I just can't wait to hear her when she's been properly otoed and stuff XD

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The first one sounds mature and deep and the one with g flags sounds girlier but still with a mature tone and I think it's enough convincing to be a lady's voice ^^ I seriously envy guys being able to produce convincing female voices naturally orz

It seems they both fit to the design~

After as Iris said, the look may sometimes not necessarily like the voice as with her UTAU, nor even amongst Vocaloids with Iroha being the most noticeable... I also know personally about the low tone because my true voice is quite deep and tomboyish compared with my girly high-pitched singing orz No need to say in my case the singing one doesn't fit how I do look like IRL OTL

Then, Taylor's idea sounds good ~ You could eventually try to make them as Nana Macne and Petit, like one of them being the miniature version and getting a different voice too

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe this design could be the petit with the higher pitch, then the more mature design would be the one without g-flags. ^_^ In a way this is like a reverse gender bend.

I'm actually surprised this worked at all, the recordings sound nothing like how it actually sounds when zipped through UTAU. And another thing, I have to find a way to remove that screech from the "i" sounds, it's driving me crazy. It's all "lalalala ***iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii**"  O__O I guess just recording softer could fix that.

I think I'll make the leaves on the mature design into a moon instead of a heart.

P

PurinPuff

I really like the voice without the g flag. Don't be afraid of having a deeper voiced female. I mean, look at SELEN.