Can't import MIDI file in to make UST, HELP!!

rainydaze

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I didn't have this problem before. I tried with 2 different midi files and both of them won't open in utau. When I try to import a midi file a pop-up that says "unexpected error: bad file name or number" in japanese appears. I tried converting the midi file to a ust file on a website but it says "conversion failed".

Please help! Should I re-install utau again?

Edit: I can't import the midi files on audacity either

I do midi-ing in bandlab btw. I didn't have any problems before so I don't know if bandlab is the issue. Also, when I double click a midi file it plays fine and I have no problems importing them onto bandlab.

Last edited:

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
No, your midi probably just has too much info or info UTAU can't read. You'll need to open it in a DAW and edit to to remove any unnecessary tracks or notes, and check the tempo. re-export it from there, ideally as just the vocal track, and it should work.

Reactions: rainydaze

rainydaze

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
No, your midi probably just has too much info or info UTAU can't read. You'll need to open it in a DAW and edit to to remove any unnecessary tracks or notes, and check the tempo. re-export it from there, ideally as just the vocal track, and it should work.
Hmm that's odd because both of the files are pretty small (one of them lasts only about 20 seconds). How do I open it in a DAW?

FAVSSE VOIX

Momo's Minion
Hmm that's odd because both of the files are pretty small (one of them lasts only about 20 seconds). How do I open it in a DAW?
Depends on which DAW you're using, but usually under the "File" menu there should be an option for "Import," where you can select the MIDI file and it'll open it in a new piano roll track. [I use LMMS so this is based off my personal experience with it :smile:]

rainydaze

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Depends on which DAW you're using, but usually under the "File" menu there should be an option for "Import," where you can select the MIDI file and it'll open it in a new piano roll track. [I use LMMS so this is based off my personal experience with it :smile:]
I tried to import it on audacity but it says "could not open file (file name)" :-(
I guess the MIDI files are the problem?

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
It's really hard to tell without knowing how you made it or where you got it, or if it at least plays in windows media player/equivalent. Are you able to share that?

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Sorry for the late reply, I was having issues with my computer. here's the very short midi file and here's the midi for vocaloid utopia I made!
The one you made works for me...... aaaaand so does the other one. Okay, I said it likely wasn't you or your install anymore but. Sorry, guess it might be. I don't imagine a clean reinstall will help unless you've been messing with your locale after your last reinstall. What windows version are you on? I don't remember, but have you previously checked your decimal point to see if it's a comma or full stop?

I can upload the UST files for these but that's not going to be sustainable in the future, so we'll need to get this fixed eventually. But here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VOuDt_wVevEmtRXCd_4joITDRDRzuOWh?usp=sharing

rainydaze

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
The one you made works for me...... aaaaand so does the other one. Okay, I said it likely wasn't you or your install anymore but. Sorry, guess it might be. I don't imagine a clean reinstall will help unless you've been messing with your locale after your last reinstall. What windows version are you on? I don't remember, but have you previously checked your decimal point to see if it's a comma or full stop?

I can upload the UST files for these but that's not going to be sustainable in the future, so we'll need to get this fixed eventually. But here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VOuDt_wVevEmtRXCd_4joITDRDRzuOWh?usp=sharing
I checked the decimal point yesterday while re-installing utau and it was a period (.) like it's supposed to. I haven't messed with my locale at all, it's still set to Japan.

Maybe it's installed to Program Files (x86)? This post says that:
"Select a location OUTSIDE of Program Files, such as Documents. This will prevent issues with using and modifying voicebanks."
So maybe that's the issue? But the problem is that when I try to select the location as Documents, it says something about not having permission and contacting the administrator (I can't remember exactly what it said) even though I went to the "Documents" file properties and changed the owner to "everyone"
(sorry if this doesn't make sense, my computer isn't in english so it's hard to explain)

I also tried selecting the location as Favorites but a pop-up saying "there is a problem with this windows installer package" appears. I searched for solutions for that specific error but nothing worked.

Maybe I should find a way to convert MIDI files to UST files if I can't find a solution to this.

Also, Thank you for the for the UST files! :smile:

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Ah, are you an administrator account on your computer? If so, when installing UTAU, right click and select "run as administrator" to be sure you can install wherever. I suspect permissions issues are probably causing other problems if you can't move/install to documents.

AFAIK other than using openutau, I'm not sure there's anything that can convert midis to UST files. Utaformatix's midi solution is for vocaloid mid files not general midis iirc

rainydaze

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Ah, are you an administrator account on your computer? If so, when installing UTAU, right click and select "run as administrator" to be sure you can install wherever. I suspect permissions issues are probably causing other problems if you can't move/install to documents.

AFAIK other than using openutau, I'm not sure there's anything that can convert midis to UST files. Utaformatix's midi solution is for vocaloid mid files not general midis iirc
I think I managed to install it in the documents folder but it still won't let me open MIDI files. I selected C: > Users > Administrator > Documents. I'm not an admin account on my computer so that might possibly be affecting it. I guess I'll just have to find a way to convert the MIDI files into USTs :-(