Certain UTAUs for Certain Genres?

MonoSpectator

Teto's Territory
So I started thinking about this yesterday when I was listening to one of Miku's appends, Miku Hagane. I mean, obviously Hagane is more directed towards songs that are hardcore, metal, or screamo based songs, since that's just her specialty, but it got me thinking, are there specific UTAUs that would be really good for specific genres? Maybe there's good ones for opera, screamo, ballads, jazz, etc.

I dunno, what do you all think?

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Well, there are UTAUloids out there that are designed for specific genders

For example, the ones coming me to mind are the ones related to opera... I recall at the moment (stupid memory holes, don't mind if I cannot list other UTAUs x_x"') those  :

-Camila Melodia Opera append obviously (even if I find her usual voicebank has this operaish tone in the voice)
-Celleach
-Ciel Sekaine is going to get an opera append apparently

Then as you talked about Hagane, some more related to this kind of music...

I'd say Maiko, CO2, H2O and other UTAUloids (on both sides) which I don't recall the names x_x"'...

By the way, Hagane isn't a Miku append =o Her appends are Sweet (<3), Dark, Light, Vivid (<3), Soft and Solid (my favourite *_*)

Well, I think the tuning can help to make them sing other genres more easily even if they're not aimed at those but as for Vocaloids, some may need more editing to fit to it...

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For starters, "Hanage Miku" isn't an append.  She's a fanmade representing different configurations of Miku that better suit hard-rock music... though sometimes she's also just plain old Miku singing to hard-rock.

On the actual topic at hand, yes, some UTAU are definitely more suited to different genres.  You wouldn't make Hibiki Shinji sing happy pop songs unironically (well, maybe creamy, but that's an append there).  You wouldn't put Ritsu KIRE on a soft piano ballad (you could use normal Ritsu for that, of course!).  All UTAU suit certain singing styles, and playing to those strengths makes for much better and more interesting covers.

Easy example for me: Soledi, one of my babies.  Soledi's tone is unique and strange and I wouldn't make her sing certain kinds of songs, but she suits other styles amazingly.  Though, it is hard to classify that based on "genre" because a single genre can contain such a wide variety of styles and feelings...  Specifically, rock and pop are such broad genres in style that they aren't very good for explaining what kind of voice you're working with...

MonoSpectator

Teto's Territory
Ah excuse my mistake with the Hagane thing. I keep forgetting she's not an append XP.

I always found it just neat that they make some fit for certain genres. Although it's also nice to see the flexibility of UTAUloids who can sing a variety of genres. But I suppose that's what Appends are for as well, to change the voice a bit to sing a different way or a different genre.

Regardless of if Hagane is an append or not, she's still a version of Miku, just more fit to sing the harsher, metal songs.

Although, it makes me a bit curious though. How do you go about making a 'screamo' based voicebank? Just growl the things on the reclist?

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
MonoSpectator link said:
Although, it makes me a bit curious though. How do you go about making a 'screamo' based voicebank? Just growl the things on the reclist?

I think so. That's how CO2 was recorded, and I think Maiko Hakaine was too. I think it'd be fun to try out. :smile:

Also, that Camila opera append is gorgeous.

MonoSpectator

Teto's Territory
XD Lol, I'm sure there's a way to do it so that it sounds smoother and nice to listen to. Although the screamo sample that you posted was good at some parts, but others not so much XD

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
That was my first time plus x.x"'

@Ant : IKR x') And the worst it's that it sounds so effin different between the recordings samples and the ones inside of the program orz I was like "WTF" the first time I've played around with it

(Gah, just having listened back to this old test made my throat hurts like after each recording session orz)