CeVio vs GTranslate?

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
does anyone know if the engines used in cevio and google translate are the same or similar? I vaguely remember reading this on some shady internet forum somewhere (it might have been here, actually), and that it was similar to world4utau, but I can't find any other information on this. does anyone know? the engine noise in cevio and google translate tts is awfully similar.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
CeVIO uses HMM synthesis, which is exactly the same as Sinsy. I suspect that Zya's Ditty is the same. However, I don't know what Google Translate uses, probably various methods depending on which language.

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
that's interesting... google translate definitely uses different methods, but I think they only have three. some western languages have a very clean, but awkwardly pronounced sound to them (german and english). some other languages sound just like cevio (spanish, japanese, chinese, korean). and neglected languages get a super robotic voice (welsh, swahili, latvian).

if no one knows whether or not gtranslate really uses the same engine can we at least agree/disagree on whether they sound alike or not? the chinese and japanese voices sound especially cevio-ish to me.
[doublepost=1476768211][/doublepost]edit: I've fallen into a hole of googling and it seems like they do use HMM, but are working on/have implemented some kind of system using artificial neural networks, very interesting...

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
That's eSpeak.
IIRC it's not that they're "neglected", it's used because they're hard to synthesize.
cool, I've never heard of that synthesizer before!

I don't that's true of all the languages with that voice, though. I know that, for one, welsh has really simple, consistent orthography, while english and japanese are both abysmal in that regard. unless you mean the actual sounds of the language themselves are difficult to use in hmm synthesis.

Reactions: Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
cool, I've never heard of that synthesizer before!

I don't that's true of all the languages with that voice, though. I know that, for one, welsh has really simple, consistent orthography, while english and japanese are both abysmal in that regard. unless you mean the actual sounds of the language themselves are difficult to use in hmm synthesis.
I'm actually not 100% sure what about them is hard to synthesize, it's just something I'd heard a while back. Not sure how true it is though.