Choices when you release an ust.

If you could make an ust with no problem, will you release it with:

• Your UTAULOID

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • An UTAULOID who would excel the song

• A pretty well known UTAULOID

• Other - Provide a more deep explaination.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
OK. Let's make an hypotetical scenario because I am interesed on the community individual answers.

Let's imagine you are magically able to make usts from scratch... no need of midi. You do pitchbending and stuff. My question is the same as above:

- Which from the above answers would you choose to release the ust?
- What is your reasoning for choosing this over other options?

If you already make usts, please also share your POV about the topic too. There's no incorrect answer people! and I do not expect a certain answer at all, be fully honest and do not answer to please others... I am just tryin to know the reasoning of you and make a nice post for us to share views.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Aline

Teto's Territory
With the UTAU that sounds the best to me, based in a certain voice type I find adequate to the song. I want to extract the best possibility I can from the work I had making this UST.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I make USTs because I like the song, so who I choose is dependent on that song.

And normally, most of the songs I like are suited for stronger voices, so my reaction is "oh I'd love for Aiko/Mathieu/Akio/etc. to sing that!" and that's what happens.
But there are plenty of songs I like that they'd never sound good singing, so I use other voicebanks in those situations.

Like, I desperately want to make a UST for "Crybaby Ensemble" because I adore that song, but I'd NEVER make that with Aiko since the style doesn't suit her voice at ALL xD

So it's a bit of a mix between the first 2 options?

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I choose an UTAU that fits or ask people for suggestions of voices that would go with the song.  I prefer finding a voice that sounds good with the song rather than using a voice that my friends or myself made (though, granted, I also do that).

glaciachan

Teto's Territory
If I could make UST's, I would probably pick an UTAU that fit the song, first and foremost. And if that happens to be my or one of my friends' UTAU's, then I would go with that, haha.

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
See i like to combine all of those options really
if there is a song that my UTAUloid sounds good in then i will use her
but if not, i'll use an UTAUloid that suits the song, and usually they are decently known, but that's just really coincidental. i love aiko kikyuune, and i use her, but because i like her, not because she is super popular
but i DO love using friends' utauloids a lot when they suit a song <3

so yeah, i kinda go everywhere with this XD

Ciel Phantomhive

Teto's Territory
Sort of a combination of the first two, because often when I make a UST I make it because I have a specific UTAU in mind who I want to sing it. (E.g. Black and White I made specifically for Hikari and Yami to sing it, For You I made to release Ciel's young append) I've only released a couple of USTs, but Black and White and For You are examples of the first option (I used the UTAU I wanted to cover the song with when I decided to make the UST (and it happened to be one of mine in both cases) even though they might not have been the absolute best for the song) whereas 魔ゼルな規リン is an example of the second (I picked Rana when I was working because her voice suited the song very well.)

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
When I'm making a UST I'm always trying to find a UTAU who fits the song and isn't mine. First of all I'm searching on myself which UTAU could be possible. If I can't find anyone I'm asking other people who they would use.
Oh and I'm trying to use UTAUs that aren't that popular because I want to help them a bit - but that depends on the song.

Robin Tair

Momo's Minion
If I could make UST's I'd probably go for a  mix of all the options really. Sometimes  I'll want to  hold up either  my own or  an UTAU of a friend's and go "Don't they sound  purdy?" and I also really like some of the popular  ones.
But of  course I'd never really want to pick an UTAU that wouldn't fit the song (to my ears IMO) since that'd be  pretty silly and a huge waste of the effort that went  into making the UST.

Sometimes I'll want to highlight to a VB who's voicer I don't really know  because the  UTAU is pretty adorable to me and they'd fit and  I just really love  seeing all  the different voicetypes UTAU brings with it being so open.

Shinaichivocaloid

Teto's Territory
When I make ust's I always try to think which voice it would suit best. If it's a sing I really like I use my own UTAUloid because I would love to see my UTAU sing it, but if it's a song that someone might request I would use the UTAU I thought would fit more.

Dark3li

Teto's Territory
I made my first 4 usts without using any midi (I used a midi for the last one but it sounded off time and I edited it by hand with the utau program ><)
I usually make usts if I like the song and if I want to make my utau sing it (so yeah, I used my utau almost always xD *conf*always*conf*)
I also try to make usts of songs that doesn't have any :,D

scarfu

Teto's Territory
Generally when I do covers of anything, I already know what UTAU I want to use from the getgo. Whether I wanted to use an UTAU specifically or I thought the song would fit a certain UTAU...

Most of the time like straight up I'll wanna use my own UTAU lmao no lie! I mean, they ARE my projects and so naturally my first train of thought. But generally when I'm making a ust I'll test around with other voices and if I end up liking another voice better I'll switch to that too =x=...

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I gotta tell ya, you had me at "hypothetical"

I don't have a UTAUloid of my own, nor do I think it would be appropriate for everything I'd like to do. Whenever I work at a song I'm usually flipping between the 15 or so voicebanks I have downloaded -- if I find I like the sound of one, I stick to it. I'd like to think that that's excelling at a song -- usually I'll dump another UTAU on it for chorus if their voice isn't strong enough to carry the song, too. I like to think I get interesting results.

By the way I'm working on the UST from scratch thing...I'm so close D8! ALMOST THERE!!!! by the time I actually poop anything out it's probably going to be so offtune

Tala

Momo's Minion
I most often use my own Utau... Or the one with my friends voice, but it's technically mine, too xD
But if I think the voice sounds completely odd with the song, I'll use another voicebank :I

And I'll never use a voicebank just because it's popular >:/

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hmm, probably just spitting out mostly what othr people are saying, but anyways...

With me I use Kaisho, my only UTAU, if she suits the song. HOWEVER, when I do just a cover, almost always it's going to be her. I like to personalize USTs and there's almost no chance I'll do that for any random UTAU, it takes too long. And I always see people using other people's UTAUs, so with USTs I try to stick with using various UTAUs that would sound good with it.
which sometimes causes internal conflicts where i feel i want to use a friend's bank but this one vcv bank will sound so niiiice...
So I may us Kaisho from time to time but I'm trying to use a wide vaiety of banks I like from now on.

irei1as

Teto's Territory
My choice is kinda random so I'll choose "Other".
Really I just got one and if it worked then there it went.
Like: I was doing nothing and I saw a video from one of my (random) suscriptions and released a voicebank so I just used that one. Just because it was there.

... To tell the truth it is not a recommended way to do things, for sure.