Critique my Growling, please!

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko

I would have added "tuning" into the title if half of the tuning didn't belong to CodyTailor (the ust maker).

The "to" and "ha" at the end of the first chorus is meant to be crossfaded with a radio/telephone effect and the verse between the first and second chorus where everything is growly is meant to have a full radio/telephone effect, btw.

Here the link to the romaji lyrics, so please read them as you listen to the sample. Do tell me which growl notes sound too excessive/weak or which notes you recommend having or not having growl.

My next thread here will be "Critique my Tuning, please!" XD

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I know it's moresampler's fault but some sounds like whispering rather than growl(why does moresampler makes it actually sound less powerful when growling tho, does any music technician etc know?) . Also at 0:57... very angst, much growl [s=]I think that's a bit too much[/s]. Well nobody really has found the perfect combination of growling flags yet and moresampler hasn't developed fully yet so yeah. Still pretty good tho :smile:

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Did you use the moresampler flags? you may want to lay off the MC flag a little to add a little more substance back to the growl.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for the input, guys!

@Miawerz I had to increase the intensity of some notes because of that OTL But I'm sure it's not something compressing can't fix.
Oh yes, angst; Yuutsukoe means "melancholy voice" after all 8D But anyway, when you mean "too much", do you mean that the growling intensity is too much, or do you mean that too much flags have growl and some should have them removed?

@SarCaustic It says moresampler right in the title haha When playing with the growl flags, the MC flags tend to turn out better than the MG flag (and I don't use MD unless it's for effects). I sometimes combine the MG and MC flags together, though. Overall, the effect of the growl flags tend to be really finicky.

I guess I'll try to soften some of the growl, overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: na4a4a

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
maybe both? it just sounds weird to me when a whole verse(?) have growl effect, unless if it is the intended effect like a screamo one
also i agree with you that MC flag sounds better than MG even though it makes the notes sound weak the MG flag kinda make them sound like singing through a fan or somebody's shaking them up and down lol

Reactions: kimchi-tan

M. Enini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i would use the vibrato trick to add the growl bc imo it usually sounds cleaner but idk how any of this works

Reactions: luiysia

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i would use the vibrato trick to add the growl bc imo it usually sounds cleaner but idk how any of this works
agreed, moresampler's growl just sounds wimpy and unnatural to me. @OP, could you post the other flags used in this?

Reactions: M. Enini

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
agreed, moresampler's growl just sounds wimpy and unnatural to me. @OP, could you post the other flags used in this?
Using the vibrato method with moresampler actually sounds more artificial, plus there's the downside of not being able to use vibratos since it's being taken up by the growl. What do you mean "other flags"?

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Using the vibrato method with moresampler actually sounds more artificial, plus there's the downside of not being able to use vibratos since it's being taken up by the growl. What do you mean "other flags"?
eh, true. the vibrato sounds better with other resamplers. the advantage, though, is that you can put the growl only at the beginning (well, mostly only) or end of a note without having to split it. like, at the ending of the first verse in the sample you posted, the "ra" might sound better if the vibrato was limited to the beginning of the note. same with the "to" and "ha" at ~0:37.
by other flags I mean like, are you putting anything in the rendering options box or anything.

Reactions: M. Enini

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
eh, true. the vibrato sounds better with other resamplers. the advantage, though, is that you can put the growl only at the beginning (well, mostly only) or end of a note without having to split it. like, at the ending of the first verse in the sample you posted, the "ra" might sound better if the vibrato was limited to the beginning of the note. same with the "to" and "ha" at ~0:37.
by other flags I mean like, are you putting anything in the rendering options box or anything.
Actually, I did something like that:
LH7pMAP.png

Maybe I should put the growl flags at the "a ra" note instead of the "a R" notes?

Here are the default flags: P90B0b40Mr10Ms10Mt10Mo20ME20Mb-10

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Maybe I should put the growl flags at the "a ra" note instead of the "a R" notes?

Here are the default flags: P90B0b40Mr10Ms10Mt10Mo20ME20Mb-10
yeah, I think that might help. in general I would use growl a little more sparingly because, in general, growl in utau doesn't sound that great or realistic (I know, I'm a real ray of sunshine), so it's better to only use it for strong emphasis. plus then it sounds more impressive :P