CVVC English Recording -- American or British?

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
Hello! I need some advice with recording. I plan to make an English VB for Zokune Ein, my UTAU. I'm wondering which accent I should use for recording, my American accent or a faux British accent. I learned from a singing tutorial some years ago (I can't find it anymore) that the reason why British singers sound the same as American singers in terms of accents is because we all sing in a British accent, consciously or unconsciously. This led to my conclusion, as of now, that I should record in a British accent and hope it will sound good. But, I need some input.

What do you do? Record English in an American accent or a British accent?

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
firstly:you should do what is easier for you
secondly:you should record in your everyday accent

i record in a British/Welsh accent, as i am Welsh, though my accent sounds quite 'stereotypically' British

this is what mine sounds like

as you can tell, my weird British Welsh hybrid accent thingymadoodle sounds odd in UTAU, but i recorded in my normal accent (yaaayy funny sounding R's xD)
a lot of CVVC's are american accented :3
so i'd say american, as a lot of CVVC USTs are made to sound american, it takes me a lot of editing to correct that to my own UTAU

Zoku

Defender of Defoko
Ok! Thanks for the input! :smile: Your "weird British Welsh hybrid accent thingymadoodle" sounds great, not weird, to me. With some tuning and envelope editing, I think it would flow very nicely and sound perfect. I feel that I should do an American-British hybrid accent... But maybe I'll do that and an American accent one to compare.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ok! Thanks for the input! :smile: Your "weird British Welsh hybrid accent thingymadoodle" sounds great, not weird, to me. With some tuning and envelope editing, I think it would flow very nicely and sound perfect. I feel that I should do an American-British hybrid accent... But maybe I'll do that and an American accent one to compare.
good idea!
also, if there are sounds in your accent that aren't in the reclist, add them in, if you want :3
like I added Welsh consonants to mine, if i ever wanted to use them :3

Reactions: Zoku

Zoku

Defender of Defoko
good idea!
also, if there are sounds in your accent that aren't in the reclist, add them in, if you want :3
like I added Welsh consonants to mine, if i ever wanted to use them :3
What kind of extra consonants do you have?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The Chezzie CVVC list that everyone uses for English is optimized for American English.

Having used English in both UTAU and vocaloid, there are a LOT of differences between the phonemes of American and British.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The Chezzie CVVC list that everyone uses for English is optimized for American English.

Having used English in both UTAU and vocaloid, there are a LOT of differences between the phonemes of American and British.
when i was recording mine, i just said them in my accent, it sounded fine to me
i rolled the R's that i would normally roll (mainly the R's after other consonants, like 'frA'
instead of the @ and & being American sounding, i said 'at' and recorded using the 'a' sound i made in the word 'at'
and i said 'and' and did the same thing
with '3' , instead of saying 'urrrrr' i said 'uhhhh'
for '6' it was a very similar sound, like 'uuuuuh'
for '8' it was a challenge because i personally nasalise that kind of sound
for 'Q' it was pretty easy
for '1' it sounds more like 'ih' and 'eh''s lovechild

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

Which is why Vocaloid English always sounds so... off to my American ears cause they use a combination of American and British (those over pronounced Rs and really strong ending consonants) most of the time.

Xuu

Ask me about Synthesizer V
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If I ever do end up recording in English, there's no way I can do an American accent so it'd be with my dumb Yorkshire English Accent, which make everything sound a little slurred otl
I'd just go with what you can do best, it's typically the way to go.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
If I ever do end up recording in English, there's no way I can do an American accent so it'd be with my dumb Yorkshire English Accent, which make everything sound a little slurred otl
I'd just go with what you can do best, it's typically the way to go.
thats how it is with me!
i cant do an american accent to save my life, so it sounds all north welsh-y xD
i think a yorkshire sounding UTAU would be cool (i have a lot of family from yorkshire, and i go into Chesterfield a lot to visit family)

Xuu

Ask me about Synthesizer V
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
thats how it is with me!
i cant do an american accent to save my life, so it sounds all north welsh-y xD
i think a yorkshire sounding UTAU would be cool (i have a lot of family from yorkshire, and i go into Chesterfield a lot to visit family)
heh I'm in Sheffield so that's cool eue
Uchuu has like, a bit of a Yorkshire accent, so the bank would fit \o/

Zoku

Defender of Defoko
I agree with the Vocaloid English comments, the Rs do sound weird. (Amazing, I've started a great topic //shot)

Thanks very much for the feedback guys, I've decided just to use an American accent for recording; though I talk very awkwardly, so it might sound like I'm exaggerating some vowels.

The reclist is so long

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I agree with the Vocaloid English comments, the Rs do sound weird. (Amazing, I've started a great topic //shot)

Thanks very much for the feedback guys, I've decided just to use an American accent for recording; though I talk very awkwardly, so it might sound like I'm exaggerating some vowels.

The reclist is so long
there are lite reclists that make it easier
and Cdra's reclist i believe is shorter, but slightly more difficult to record

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Using the latest released list is probably for the best though, even if it has more vowels than earlier versions

//I was so excited over the reclist updates when I used Aiko

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Using the latest released list is probably for the best though, even if it has more vowels than earlier versions

//I was so excited over the reclist updates when I used Aiko
aiko is so easy to use!
i made an original with her xD

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Speaking of reclists, I'm reminded of the reclist I made last year (just never had a chance to record it).
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18s_5XcJko0XirN3Ihl7vPjdIG9qvCZBuVmUxEa945aQ/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uJR8ZMdKshDCGKRWqFlhEIjWmP5DRLP-UvyuQmglV7M/edit?usp=sharing
^ Pretty much the same, but more difficult cause it has more vowels.

And btw, an American accent really isn't difficult because there's no "standard" accent. Between 50 states, there's a regional accent for each of them and they all sound funny to people who aren't from that particular state/area within a state. Not to mention immigrants who come to the country - unless they were born and raised here and went through the K-12 educational system, they'll speak with the accent of their native country and for the most part, they'll be understood to some capacity.

- 35 English accents

If you don't have an American accent, don't force it. If anything, when you sing, the accent will become more or less neutral.

Last edited: