Dissecting frogs

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Just earlier, our class dissected frogs. (Our last class is Computer so yay. but manga sites are blocked. so is Google itself -_-)

...I still feel guilty for that frog :cry: Our teacher said that our group had the biggest frog (not to mention strongest). It's random reflexive struggles gave us reflexive jerks :cynical:

When it was time to "let it go" that may or may have not been a reference XD, even with half of its body open and internal organs messed up by our teacher it still jumped out the jar where all the other dead ones were kept :blink: (but only half-way)

So what's you guys' frog stories? :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: HIRATELIER

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I don't have a frog story since I've never dissected one, but I have dissected a worm. It wasn't hard to use the scalpell on it, the pins were a bit tricky, but manegable. The only issue I had was when I had to lower it into water (to help see the organs through the microscpe). It was quite interesting though.

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I had to dissect a frog in seventh grade. At first my partner and I were kind of hesitant, but by the end we enthusiastically ripped off her skull trying to find the brain. (Okay maybe I'm overstating our excitement.)

Looking back on it now I have such mixed feelings because I've started watching Sgt Frog.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
teifuani said:
I had to dissect a frog in seventh grade. At first my partner and I were kind of hesitant, but by the end we enthusiastically ripped off her skull trying to find the brain. (Okay maybe I'm overstating our excitement.)

Looking back on it now I have such mixed feelings because I've started watching Sgt Frog.

You guys saw the brain? Awww... We didn't reach that part (and we were too scared to actually "kill" kill it).

Last edited:

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
kimchi-tan said:
teifuani said:

You guys saw the brain? Awww... We didn't reach that part (and we were too scared to actually "kill" kill it.

We didn't actually see the brain in the end. Our teacher said she would give extra credit to anyone who found it, because it was too easy to destroy in the process of looking for it. Or something like that.

Our frogs were dead from the start. What you're talking about sounds more like a vivisection, which is a little... ethically questionable of your teacher. notjudgingthough

Aoi Rikyri

Teto's Territory
My class had to dissect a variety of things once, and most of the students were running out to gag. One of my classmates started crying when we had to dissect ("It's so cruel!") and ran out, only to run back in to take selfies with the frog's intestines.

aplusod

Teto's Territory
Ahhh I remember doing that back in 7th grade!
They made us split up into pairs with one person who was really excited about the whole thing and another who was terrified. I was the terrified one orz;;
The frogs we had were frozen and long dead. Smelled really bad (but not nearly as bad as my high school's anatomy class's cat dissection week orz). I think if it weren't for the smell I would have been a lot more interested...
I remember our teacher mentioning that sometimes the contents of their stomachs were still intact or something, and that we might find random dead flies and not to freak out. So naturally a good majority of the class opened all the frog stomachs looking for random flies.
My partner did most of the hard work and I just identified a few parts while working on not puking...haha;;; I couldn't even touch it;; At one point near the end, she kissed the thing and that pic wound up in the yearbook.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
teifuani said:
kimchi-tan said:
teifuani said:

You guys saw the brain? Awww... We didn't reach that part (and we were too scared to actually "kill" kill it.

We didn't actually see the brain in the end. Our teacher said she would give extra credit to anyone who found it, because it was too easy to destroy in the process of looking for it. Or something like that.

Our frogs were dead from the start. What you're talking about sounds more like a vivisection, which is a little... ethically questionable of your teacher. notjudgingthough

Yep, we did a vivisection. We (actually our teacher did it since we didn't have the heart) punctured its lower brain but even with its lower body half-paralyzed, it was really strong. And the fact it was alive the whole time (even when it was it the "jug morgue") made me feel like a torturer :bigtears:

tetodash

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
oh yah I had to dissect on in 7th grade and it was kind of fun because my group was really crazy...

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
I did once before, and one group failed to anesthetize their frog, and the frog jumped around the lab. and all girls were 'kyaaa'ing and ran away..

hessa11

Momo's Minion
The frogs may have been preserved in alcohol, or in formalin. Many people are bothered by the odor of the formalin, so it was most likely the preservative that bothered you. The odor can make you feel nauseous.

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I never dissected frogs, but I had to dissect worms, baby pigs, and baby sharks... the work part was definitely the smell. Then when we were cutting the skull out of the pig, trying to get the brain out in one piece it flew and splat ;__;

Also, I made those little cutout people holding hands with shark skin... I tried to keep it but the smell was too awful.