Does my voicebank need cleaning?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
When it comes to cleaning samples, there seems to be one side saying that it's best left untouched while there's another side saying that cleaning improves the quality but then again it seems to depend case by case. I record using my smartphone (a Samsung Galaxy V). Here's a sample. Would it need cleaning or is it okay as it is?

Velvet

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I don't think the sample is "dirty" enough to need cleaning; cleaning it may make it sound a little better and a little easier for UTAU to handle, but the sample at least seems clear enough

Reactions: Piia and kimchi-tan

Piia

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I think that it sounds really clear.
There are a few 'breath-y' sounds though (I think that may need a bit of cleaning[?])
Why am I criticizing your work I'm no pro at UTAU like you
But overall it's a good recording.

heta-tan

Genderless Goon
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I agree with Velvet, the recording isn't muffled or anything that you'd have to clean up.
Personally if you were going to clean it, I wouldn't go heavy-handed since it's already pretty clear.

Reactions: Piia and kimchi-tan

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Cleaning a sample is only necessary if there's audible ambient/white/pink/brown noise in the silence of the sample (a good pair of headphones or earphones are your best bet for listening for it). If there is, then you would just use the generate silence tool in audacity during the silent areas. I don't recommend using the noise removal functions present in audacity and some daws since it often results in artifacts that UTAU picks up.

Reactions: kimchi-tan

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
There are some instances in the recording where there is breath / a rumble. This will come up in utau, as I have the same issue due to cars in my recordings. The sample is overall clean but that will come up in utau
. You could remove the low frequencies but there's some in the high region that you cant exactly get rid of it without destroying your samples. Best bet would re-record it and not breath into the mic, touch it, have a low rumble etc. If not it's fine, but will come up when it runs through utau.

Reactions: kimchi-tan