Experiment: Does good art affect views?

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
^ I haven't even considered outside sources. You're right though, someone who's popular elsewhere would have more traffic going to their UTAU.

As for the test, I'm rather shocked by the results thus far, but it's still early.

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ant link said:
^ I haven't even considered outside sources. You're right though, someone who's popular elsewhere would have more traffic going to their UTAU.

As for the test, I'm rather shocked by the results thus far, but it's still early.

It's really interesting. When will you show us the results and link the videos? Because I'm really curious myself.

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Meta link said:
[quote author=Ant link=topic=2751.msg21097#msg21097 date=1343562910]

It's really interesting. When will you show us the results and link the videos? Because I'm really curious myself.
[/quote]

I want to wait it out a bit, and see if anything happens, though I doubt there will be many more views from this point on. Maybe next week?

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Results GET!

Good art: 【UTAU】 Imagination Forest 【Anami Eli】
Bad art: 【UTAU】 Imagination Forest 【Anami Eli】

Last time I checked, the videos were tied all around. Both had 16 views and 1 like, but the bad art video had a comment. It seems as though the good art video pulled ahead in the last few days, and got one more like. Though the numbers are kind of low, so I wouldn't say the results are definitive.

Well, that was interesting. Tough to draw a conclusion but I guess good art will give it that extra boost. Fun test.

EDIT: Is Anami Eli well known? I only noticed after I used her that she seemed to be more popular than I initially thought.

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hmm...pretty much how I thought it'd end up. Atm, it looks like they have the same amount of views, though.

Could've used my UTAU. I'm pretty sure nobody likes her. XD

Aline

Teto's Territory
Ant link said:
Results GET!

Last time I checked, the videos were tied all around. Both had 16 views and 1 like, but the bad art video had a comment. It seems as though the good art video pulled ahead in the last few days, and got one more like. Though the numbers are kind of low, so I wouldn't say the results are definitive.

Well, that was interesting. Tough to draw a conclusion but I guess good art will give it that extra boost. Fun test.

EDIT: Is Anami Eli well known? I only noticed after I used her that she seemed to be more popular than I initially thought.

Oh, the comment was Mae's. She comments on every single vid she judges as newbish; as an incentive, I believe. So, I could say that the bad art actually helped influence her to do so. (so, you can consider her a sampling anomaly. Sorta.)

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Raiyux link said:
Hmm...pretty much how I thought it'd end up. Atm, it looks like they have the same amount of views, though.

Could've used my UTAU. I'm pretty sure nobody likes her. XD

Wow, the view count went up a lot after I posted them here. I guess everyone went to go see the art? :P

Aline link said:
[quote author=Ant link=topic=2751.msg21845#msg21845 date=1344421229]
Results GET!

Oh, the comment was Mae's. She comments on every single vid she judges as newbish; as an incentive, I believe. So, I could say that the bad art actually helped influence her to do so. (so, you can consider her a sampling anomaly. Sorta.)
[/quote]

Yeah, I figured that ^_^;; lol.

Ono

Teto's Territory
It's unfortunate to many that cannot draw but art is a huge factor that helps gain more views. But hey, sometimes you don't need it. You can just copy/paste the original PV over it and for some covers like 'Aidee', you don't need extravagant artwork. Just some simple line art.

I'm guilty when it comes to viewing for the artwork. But if the voice isn't all that great then that can be a huge turn-off. I don't want to point fingers or anything but there are a few overly popular Utaus that doesn't sound all that great but their art is extraordinary. Thus is why they are popular. But don't get me wrong..I've also seen many many many Utaus with great art and the voice to back it up but they still remain unnoticed.

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
Of course yes. I won't click a video with a bad art on the thumbnail.

It's true that UTAU is actually about the voice, not the art. But we cannot neglect the art because art is the first thing people will notice in your video... and first impression is really important.
My suggestion is, if you cannot draw / cannot find people who can draw for you. Better not to put art on your video (just put text or whatever). So people will be more focus on the voice.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
After you are done with your "Experiment" Ant... I will provide you some feedback, as I have done research studies in the past:

1) When you want to experiment with a group of people, but announcing how your test will be held, it will affect your results. I was following this silently all the way and when you posted the videos I found both in less than 2 minutes; possibly another people did too.

2) Channel names. A big mistake. You named them "UTAUtestA" and "UTAUtestB". by this; by founding one cover you had even easier access to the second one (you just needed to change a letter); which would also have affected your results to make them "aproximately equal".

3) You never enounced an hypotesis... like, what you were "researching" it's been a topic that has been commented in this and the other 2 utau forums in the past. The conclusions has always been the same: Art DOES affect the number of views. Your similar numbers could have changed if you didnt commited the mistakes #1 and #2.

This is how easily you can "manipulate" data.

To be honest... I am not shocked or anything... the results were not very conclusive... And while I am from the side of UTAU that thinks that "UTAULOIDS are more about the voice", I will never deny that an appealing thumbnail also affects my view on videos.

Another factors are:
- The voicebank used.
- Quality of the bank.
- The behaviour of the creator/user towards the community
- The UTAU-tunning.
- The UTAU tunner.
- ORIGINAL Vs Cover

And many other factors that also involve.

While you did good by using the same mp3 with no changes in between them and the different quality of arts; your other factors seriously compromised your results. Do not take this as a rude or mean comment, but a POV from somone who has worked on this type of tests in the past (at least on the health-care side).

Dark3li

Teto's Territory
you used my utau! xD I found both the videos just after you posted them because I'm always looking if someone use my utau ^^U

I don't think Eli is too popular/ well known, her vb doesn't have a great quality but it sounds ok if you use equalization and other effects while mixing, I noticed that you didn't edit the mp3 that you used

I do think that good art affect views, but If you post a video on youtube without telling, nobody will know that you did.. if you post the art that you used on deviantart with a link to the video, people will link to your video if they find the art interesting..

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If I may, I will quote what I posted on the Tips to Advertise Your Works Better thread on VO:
YouTube & Nico are Video Websites

I feel it is important to take your medium into account when producing works. If all you are interested in is the audio and music, then your primary outlet should be Soundcloud, similar services, or a personal site. When you are uploading videos to YouTube or Nico these are Video websites, and videos are both an audio AND a visual medium. If you want your work to be stimulating, or at least entertaining it needs a visual element as well, otherwise you aren't taking full advantage of your medium.

While static images can work, even for unskilled artists there is a lot you can do. Karaoke subtitles, kinetic typography, MMD videos, anime studio animations, live action PVs, simple slideshows, or simply any form of visual engagement can go a long way toward furthering your work. If you don't think you are very skilled in an aspect of video production than don't be afraid to collaborate! Which brings up our next point...

So while I think that very good music along should be enough, engaging someone, in all aspects of the medium at hand, can not be a bad thing. YouTube is a video website and video implies both audio and visual elements. While very good audio will get you lots of views, its only when using both, to their maximum potential do you gain the most benefit.

That being said if I had to rank on what is most important, at least in the context of UTAU, no one wants to listen to a bad UTAU, so you could have an UTAU with some of the best art in the world, fully animated PVs, etc. etc. but if your UTAU sucks... then I am not very inclined to share or return to the video.

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
@Yue Nagareboshi; Wow, I had no idea there were so many factors I didn't take into account. I'll make sure to think about those before doing any more tests.

@Dark3li; That's a good idea, actually, I hadn't thought about gaining views through DA.

@Hentai; Good thread, and good tips. I'm learning a lot today, actually. XD

Utakoloid

Momo's Minion
I already comented on the video but, as I said, the art is really important
It even makes the song sound more pretty if it has a good art XD