Favourite Novels and Stories!

★M3ROKA★

.Puri
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I love to read novels (and by novel I mean girlfriend -shot-) to the point of staying in the library for hours on end~ Which is why I made this thread, to discuss your favourite novels and stories~ (this is the right place for this, no? XD)

When I was a child I loved Philip Ridley~ I thought never thought was reading was /that/ fun until I discovered his stories~ Although they are slightly childish, I still, to this age, giggle while reading "Zip's Apollo" out loud. (I like making the funny voices XDD) I remember the fun of childhood when reading them~ Vinegar Street, Mercedes Ice are also books by same author I remember enjoying although I haven't read them within 7 years :C -needs to re-read them-

I'm reading "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins as of now (although, it's /much/ harder to read aloud compared to Zip's Apollo XDD) I really like reading the darker novels; mystery, horror and thriller genres. I'm planning to read "Hunger" by Knut Hamsun soon, it seems rather interesting~<3  I own more information/knowledge books than actual novels (-shot-) but~~ -blabsblabsblabla-

What're your favourite novels and books? And which genre's do you normally read? :D

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Novels! Yan-dear you caught my greatest weakness.

Anyhow, I prefer fantasy/science-fiction but I also like to read a good thriller every now and then.

One of my first novels still is my favourite. However, it's a Dutch children's novel and talking about it here would not make sense. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyhow. I have read some wonderful series. Artemis Fowl, Stravaganza, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, the Chrestomanci-series... Those last ones are the best. I still draw a lot of inspiration out of these.

aplusod

Teto's Territory
I normally read fantasy/sci-fi, though I've been leaning towards humorous general fiction lately.
I don't know what my first novel was... Could have been "Holes" or "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" or the "Series of Unfortunate Events" books... I have no idea, though I guess that's about all I read when I was younger. xD;

I remember really liking "The Traveler" (and the rest of the trilogy) by John Twelve Hawks a lot... Although this was back when I still wasn't any good at questioning things. I also really liked Maria V. Snyder's "Poison Study" and the rest of that trilogy. Although her novels since then, in my opinion, haven't been as good...
Then there was "Attachments" by Rainbow Rowell (which I picked up because her name is Rainbow. K.) and really loved that one. And "Fishbowl" by Sarah Mlynowski that I really liked too. Although both of those are more (howdoIdescribeit) chick-flick-y sorts of books.
Last year I was in love with "How to Survive Safely in a Science Fictional Universe" by Charles Yu and recently I read "The Night Circus" by Erin Iforgetherlastname and that was amazing as well.

Now I'm re-reading "East' by Edith Patou again for the seventh or eighth time (I kinda re-read it once a year). It's an easy read, and I still like the story.
And I have no idea what to say to end this post so here have a random sentence. =w=;;

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I am a big fantasy/science fiction fan. I am a huge fan of Eoin Colfer (of Artemis Fowl fame), but my favorite book series is the Edge Chronicles. I also enjoy Cornelia Funke's books, like Inkheart and Inkspell, although I hated Inkdeath.

And hello, StateofDep, a fellow Edith Pattou fan has come to join you!! :D I quite like her!

Raven-Raspera

Momo's Minion
East... Is that the other name for North Child? Because if so then I love that book. I read it a little over a year ago, and really liked it. I'm a sucker for adaptations of fairy tales too, so that helped.

Some of my favourite books are the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver, and I also quite like Harry Potter. I just love reading.

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Raven, I do believe it is. :smile: I think I read that a long time ago--I like Edith Pattou's other series "Songs of Eirren" because I am a huge mythology geek, especially for Celtic mythology. :D

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
Oh hey, looks like I'm not the only one who liked East :smile:

That aside, I'm a huge fan of the Maximum Ride series. Nothing like a some good old-fashioned ass-kicking. And humor. And drama. But mostly the ass-kicking.

I also like some of The Books of Bayern (Forest Girl is a fave) and some of Esther Friesner's novels.

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I love Maximum Ride~ Unfortunately the new books in the series weren't my sort of thing, but the earlier ones were great!

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
fukokun link said:
@Raven, I do believe it is. :smile: I think I read that a long time ago--I like Edith Pattou's other series \"Songs of Eirren\" because I am a huge mythology geek, especially for Celtic mythology. :D

Dude~ I read that not that long ago... I'll never forget the name Breo-Saight cause it's just so win xD

aplusod

Teto's Territory
(I have not checked this in forever. Whoops.)
Would that "Songs of Eirren" series be Hero's Song and Fire Arrow? (Or is it a regional change I don't know?) I read those maybe six or seven years ago and still love them too~
Though, from Pattou's books, I liked East the most.

I liked Maximum Ride since they were pretty easy reads, but now it's just going on and on... I kinda dropped the series, but the earlier books were great. (Although I'm not the hugest James Patterson fan...)
Oh, and the Hunger Games was a great series too. I loved how it was in present tense for something different. (And the story too, of course). I'm not really a fan of what they did with the movie though. (Sorta unrelated; my headcanon says Finnick looks like Josh from TWEWY, and I'll sorta love the movies regardless if they find an actor that looks like him.) But, uh...I don't think I would have understood the movie well if I hadn't read the books. And that shaky camera was irritating... Back to the books, I've read the series three/four times... Pretty easy to read, can get through a book a day...

Anyways, a quick list of books I read since I last posted (I keep a list.):
The **** Up (Nersesian) - I thought it was going to be funny (here's me judging based on the title). But it wasn't really. I think it might have a bit more guy-humor that I don't really understand and don't pick up on...
In Search of the Rose Notes (Arsenault) - I thought it was sorta forgettable/typical... Interesting enough, I guess... Sort of a murder mystery? Well, maybe that's me not being the greatest fan of murder mysteries...
A Discovery of Witches (Harkness) - Besides the fact it's a vampire-romance (at least there are witches and daemons too), it's actually pretty good and there's actually a plot. Eagerly awaiting the sequel this summer~ (They /did/ sorta cut the book off on a cliffhanger, though, and this first book seems to mostly just build up for later books. I believe I read somewhere that it's planned to be a trilogy.)
The Book of Heroes (Miyabe) - It's sort of a formal translation with a typo here or there, but get past that and it's a great book/story. It's written by the same person who wrote Ico (which the game was based off of), btw.
Touch of Power (Snyder) - Her general fluff-ish book. You can count on this author for a lot of the same basic concept; low-class person who's saved in some way who becomes someone really /really/ important and finds love by the end of the first book. It's cute, I guess.
Flashforward (Sawyer) - Very interesting, science fiction. I think there's a TV series based off of this?
Reread for the 4th/5th time: How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe (Yu)
Reread the 2nd time: Attachments (Rowel) - This and the one above are hilarious.

Anyways, next on my list is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (Berendt) since I'm going to school in the city where it takes place next year. :uhuhu:

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
StateOfDep link said:
Fire Arrow

Fire Arrow

THAT NOVEL asdhhjahds
How could I forget about that one; it's great too.

I liked Maximum Ride since they were pretty easy reads, but now it's just going on and on... I kinda dropped the series, but the earlier books were great. (Although I'm not the hugest James Patterson fan...)

Agreed. The series should have ended after Saving The World and Other Extreme Sports (book three).

Myon

Momo's Minion
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
I really dislike her as a person, but I love her writing.
... Don't ask. Hahaha

Candide.
I love humanities class. I really appreciate Candide.

I like books that deal with philosophy and stuff.

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I don't read a whole lot, but when I do... I like sci-fi/fantasy. Does anyone remember the Animorphs books? Those were the shit in grade school, man. I really like the Artemis Fowl series and I have some serious catching up to do since I haven't read after the fourth book. xD

I like pretty much all the Mark Twain books. I think people moan when they hear his name because most are forced to read Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn, they dislike it. I had to read Huckleberry Finn in high school and I ended up loving it and had to read everything else.

I also love Douglas Adams. Both the Hitchhiker's Guide books, and the Dirk Gently books.

And then there's the occasional western novel, I like Morning Star and Moon Basket by SW Brouwer, which are like western/mystery books.

Hare

Teto's Territory
I used to read novels and stories quite a lot, but now, not so much. I read a lot of manga, but for serious reading my time is taken up with reading textbooks, history books and scientific journals >.<

I think the most recent book I read was Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, and I really liked that, I think I read that in a day because I couldn't put it down >.< I'm also reading No.6 by Asano Atsuko chapter by chapter as it's being translated.

I remember that I really liked Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses series. I think that was what first made me very aware about issues with racism etc

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
@Meta: Yeah, from what I've read Mark Twain was the shizz~ I've only read Great Expectations, but I simply adored some of the characters especially~ x3

I also just read the classic Frankenstein, and I quite liked it~

One series that kind of stands out to be is the "Imaginarium Geographica(?)" series that starts with "Here, There Be Dragons." It's quite a nice, mysterious and well planned mix of legend, history, and stories in general~

aplusod

Teto's Territory
@Pichu Wasn't Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, though?

How did I forget about that Imaginarium Geographica series? I remember thinking it ended with Indigo King, so a few years later I found Shadow Dragons and The Dragon's Apprentice and fell in love with the series again~
And YES, Hitchhiker's Guide~ So funny~

I remember liking Animorphs too, but I read them in like kindergarten and had no idea what was going on. xD
Up here in Michigan, we also had that Michigan Chillers series that everyone was into. American Chillers was neat too, but not as cool as an entire series about the state we lived in. It was really funny, since all the "cool kids" read Michigan Chillers which made everyone in our school want to read them, so the library never had them all in at the same time and we all had to wait for whatever one was next on our list. Lots of fantasy/horror-ish for children, I guess.
I also remember for a while everyone was really into A Series of Unfortunate Events. I kinda wish Snickett revealed more in the last book, though I can see why he didn't...

Also, has anyone else read The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear (Moers)? He has illustrations throughout the story included, which is pretty neat. Helps with the fact it's a 700 page book. xD;; He writes a lot of fantasy/adventure. Also by him, City of Dreaming Books and Rumo and his Miraculous Adventures are pretty good too~