First (Posted) Cover, Any Tuning/Mixing Critiques?

Kumoito

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko

While I do have some old covers, it's my first time posting anything online, so I'd like to know what you think!
It was also my first serious attempt at mixing and I have no idea if I did a decent job. (I used Reaper and followed online tutorials on EQ and compression.) UST was tuned from scratch.

Any tips/suggestions/critiques to help me improve are greatly appreciated!

(I probably should have posted here first since I'm looking for feedback, not in Song Covers, sorry for the double thread)

Reactions: Halo

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
You did a really good job! Especially for your first serious/posted attempt. I think the overall balance of the vocals to the BGM is very slightly off, the BGM could have stood to be a little bit quieter (and did you EQ or put effects on the bgm? it kind of sounds a little too bassy and full, but the original might have always been like that... I'm unfamiliar with the song admittedly).

But the tuning is nice! its not too over the top, but I can tell you put effort into tuning it which is the sweet spot imo. GJ!!

Reactions: Kumoito

Kumoito

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
You did a really good job! Especially for your first serious/posted attempt. I think the overall balance of the vocals to the BGM is very slightly off, the BGM could have stood to be a little bit quieter (and did you EQ or put effects on the bgm? it kind of sounds a little too bassy and full, but the original might have always been like that... I'm unfamiliar with the song admittedly).

But the tuning is nice! its not too over the top, but I can tell you put effort into tuning it which is the sweet spot imo. GJ!!

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like it. I EQ'd the off vocal to reduce the low frequencies but I guess I didn't do it enough. (I should probably get headphones to hear the bass more accurately.) I did spend a while on the tuning, so I'm happy it turned out okay! :smile:

Reactions: Halo

fadingfebruary

Teto's Territory
I think it sounds nice! I think the bass sounds okay myself, but that might just be an issue of taste. I think the bgm and vocals might be fighting over some mid...range frequencies though? It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly. But other than that the vocals are coming through pretty well and it's obvious effort was put into the mixing so I can definitely say you're on the right track. With some practice you'll develop an ear for what sounds right to you for sure. Honestly, good job :smile:

Reactions: Kumoito

Kumoito

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I think it sounds nice! I think the bass sounds okay myself, but that might just be an issue of taste. I think the bgm and vocals might be fighting over some mid...range frequencies though? It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly. But other than that the vocals are coming through pretty well and it's obvious effort was put into the mixing so I can definitely say you're on the right track. With some practice you'll develop an ear for what sounds right to you for sure. Honestly, good job :smile:
Thank you! You're right about the mid range, I didn't reduce those frequencies at all on the off vocal (I think I was worried about messing it up) I'll keep that in mind for next time. I sure hope mixing gets easier as I get more practice :smile: