(HARDWARE ISSUES) microphone isn't recording??

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
so hi techy people i'm a music tech major and yet i know next to nothing about hardware so please kill me

i got a scarlett 2i2 audio interface w/ a rode nt1 (not nt1a just if u wondered) because my last nt1 broke. i wasn't the smartest with phantom power but i've learned. i know the signal works to the interface because my interface lets me listen as i record or have the mic plugged in, but it won't seem to get to my computer. whenever i attempt to record, none of my DAWs pick up my microphone or even seem to recognize it. i know i have the correct input selected (scarlett line in) so idk what gives. it's like the signal just stops at the interface and doesn't go to the computer?? i haven't had problems like this on my old one, which is the same mic???

if anyone can help pls do i'm headache over this rip me

P

partial

For those of us unfamiliar with that interface, is it possible to post screenshots for reference?

Rei-Chan

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I truly wish I could help on the matter, nut alas, I am not familiar with this. However, it sounds like the issue seems to revolve around the program itself. Mayne it could be something as simple as trying to reopen the software before dealing with the microphone, to reinstalling the program altogether. I'd maybe even play with the inputs because you never know! I'm sorry I am not much help on the matter, and I hope you find a solution soon!

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
In addition to making sure both your OS and your programs are connected to the right input, I would also check your drivers, including any that would have come with your hardware.

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For all that don't know much about audio interfaces, they're actually an external thing from your computer that lets you plug in XLR mics (which typically are more HQ).
This is a picture of the audio interface I have, the scarlett:
Scarlet2i2G2-large.jpg

The software itself that comes with the scarlett right now is minimal (as are a lot of interfaces). In fact, before I didn't even have to open up the driver to check anything on my last microphone. Here's what the driver settings looks like:
2z73jbd.png

Before you ask, I've tried all three.
Interfaces are made to give your computer more power when dealing with a lot of audio or audio tracks, for a crisper sound and honestly I use it mostly to get out of annoying in-computer interfaces like ASIO. A lot more high-end DAWs will need something like an audio interface or ASIO, so I dished out and got the interface.
Back to the mic...
At first I thought it was because the right input doesn't pick up when it's set to mono recording, but I tried the left and it won't work either. The "Direct Monitor" function allows me to listen to the input as it's picking it up, so I know my microphone is getting to the interface, but it won't seem to get to the computer in recording. "48V" is phantom power, which I'm supposed to turn on after all the cables are plugged in or else it may harm the microphone.
So yeah. I'm at a loss. This might be overly techy for an utau forum >.>;

Soursop the fruit

✧ Fruity & Happy ✧
Defender of Defoko
I wish i can help you ava, but i'm a dum dum about mics. ;-;
I pray that your problem will be over soon, and i wish Prof. @_caustic_ can come here to help you with this problem

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
She blocks me I think so my message wont be visible, but I'll post anyways. Go ahead and quote me so she can see my message if you'd like.

This is probably a driver issue. When mixing or recording in your DAW, make sure your audio driver is set to ASIO and you are using the Focusrite ASIO driver specifically. With usb interfaces you often need to specify them manually else it will use your default audio (probably your built in audio).

I don't know your hardware and software setup so I can't be more specific. If you could provide more info then I can try to assist you better.

P

partial

She blocks me I think so my message wont be visible, but I'll post anyways. Go ahead and quote me so she can see my message if you'd like.

This is probably a driver issue. When mixing or recording in your DAW, make sure your audio driver is set to ASIO and you are using the Focusrite ASIO driver specifically. With usb interfaces you often need to specify them manually else it will use your default audio (probably your built in audio).

I don't know your hardware and software setup so I can't be more specific. If you could provide more info then I can try to assist you better.