Hello I'm new to this whole thing and I'm looking for advice

EnjouAkuma

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hello, for the past 4 days I have been trying to learn the basics of music theory and how to use Utau, and I made this little thing to test some things out
If you have any advice, critique, or know of any resources that will help someone who is starting out I'm happy to hear it
Hello, nice to meet you^^ I don't think I would be able to help with music theory since I don't know anything about it and don't know if I will, but I've been using UTAU for 2 years and know basically everything 'bout it! If you're having troubles, don't hesitate to DM me on discord or here or you can ask any body here!

My discord: Pyro-P#1649

RoseMB

Momo's Minion
Hello!
I'd say that that's pretty good for a test and just 4 day of work! I am unaware of any musical experience that you may have, but hearing this, I would assume you have at least a little. My biggest piece of advice would be to master the basics. When learning anything new, It's important that you become familiar with even the most basic of concepts. This applies to music as well. I'll be starting at the beginning to create a simple guide on how one would start.

When learning basic musical skills, personally, I'd say to go in the following order:

1. Pitch. This includes,
A. The names of the notes (a, b, c, d, e, f, g)
B. Being able to identify these pitches when written on a staff (at least Treble and Bass)
C. Octave numbers (EX. C3, C4, C5)
D. Accidentals (at least sharps, flats, and naturals)

2. Scales and Keys. This includes,
A. Being able to both identify and build scales using each's respective formulas (at least Major, Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, and Melodic Minor)
B. Using the order of sharps/flats to more quickly identify the sharps/flats in a key
C. Scale degrees and intervals

3. Rhythms. This includes,
A. Note values (from at least Whole to 16th)
B. Rests (from at least Whole to 16th)
C. Dotted notes
D. Tying notes together

4. Time Signatures. This includes,
A. Identification of time signatures
B. The ability to both read and understand at least simple and compound time signatures

5. Chords. This includes,
A. The ability to identify and build triads and 7th chords in and from a scale
B. Being able to augment and diminish/half diminish your triads or 7th chords

[Please keep in mind that this is a very basic list and that there's a lot more to learn, both pertaining to each of these points as well as new material.]

Even with just an understanding of these simple skills, one can create great music!

Here's a few more things that will be helpful to know when it comes to writing music:

When writing chord progressions, Its helpful to be familiar with the system of roman numerals and chord leading. Some chords lead more nicely into a particular chord than others and being aware of this may help you create smooth, beautiful chord progressions.

It's not bad to create a sense of discomfort once in a while, in fact, Tension is an integral element to great music. Tension can cause the listener to anticipate a sort of resolution. You may satisfy the listener by resolving the tension, or you may defy the listeners expectation to create interest. Music is built upon this balance of met expectations and defied expectations. If the listeners expectations are always met, then they may think the song to be boring, but If the listeners expectations are always defied, then the listener may find the music to be incomprehensible or unlistenable.

Don't let yourself become overwhelmed by how much there actually is to music. Take it all in at your own pace and remember that you don't need to know every little bit to music that there is to have a good time and to make some good music!

Now, here's a few resources that have helped me:

Free online textbooks from Open Textbook Library. This website has a wonderful selection of educational books on music.
Music Theory (Idiots Guide), by Michael Miller. an easy, informational read with exercises to help you practice. This book also has a lovely section on composition and arrangement. This author also has a similar book on composition, but I've yet to read it.
You Suck at Producing (Warning for dark humor). A creator who has not only helped me improve my production skills, but has also helped me grow my ability to come up with better musical ideas. He has a series on production, music theory, mixing, and even one that focuses on just drums. He instructs in Ableton, but his tips work mostly universally throughout all DAWs with minor workarounds.
Hookpad. A browser tool to help you quickly come up with new song ideas.

I'd say that you're off to a great start! I hope that this was helpful to you (also hoping that I didn't go overboard or miss anything important) and I wish you the best of luck with your music! Have a good day!