Art Help With starting commissions!

Mang0

Momo's Minion
Hi all! Brand new to the forums, but not utau! How would i start Utau design, profiles, and boxart commissions? What websites should I use, how should I receive payment, ect. Any help is much appreciated!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You can browse other threads here on the commissions board for reference when you write your own post.
For artwork, I strongly recommend having a few example images embedded in your post. Outside of UTAforum, you may want to post on social media with one image containing multiple examples and their respective prices.
If you plan on making a portfolio website, you can use a simple website builder like Wix. Be sure to include pages for contact information and your terms of service. Keep your portfolio pieces updated and showcase not only your best work, but the types of work you are most interested in doing.
Most people accept payments via PayPal. If you do the same, I highly recommend you use the built-in invoice feature. This allows you to set the exact amount, keep a proper record of the transaction, and allow the client to pay via other methods that PayPal supports (such as credit/debit cards). There are also options for things like partial payments over time and adding an extra tip.

Mang0

Momo's Minion
You can browse other threads here on the commissions board for reference when you write your own post.
For artwork, I strongly recommend having a few example images embedded in your post. Outside of UTAforum, you may want to post on social media with one image containing multiple examples and their respective prices.
If you plan on making a portfolio website, you can use a simple website builder like Wix. Be sure to include pages for contact information and your terms of service. Keep your portfolio pieces updated and showcase not only your best work, but the types of work you are most interested in doing.
Most people accept payments via PayPal. If you do the same, I highly recommend you use the built-in invoice feature. This allows you to set the exact amount, keep a proper record of the transaction, and allow the client to pay via other methods that PayPal supports (such as credit/debit cards). There are also options for things like partial payments over time and adding an extra tip.
if not paypal, what else would you recommend? I had a friend recommend fiverr, but that kind of website might not work for utau art commissions.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You will still need a PayPal or Payoneer account to withdraw your earnings from Fiverr.

Mang0

Momo's Minion
Ok, thanks! What should I AVOID in a customer? like, warning signs. I know that I should make them pay first, but that's about it. I was also thinking that for design commissions, I could have the hypothetical customer send me some key things about the character they had in mind. Is that a thing people do/ask for?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
My area of expertise is in music and voicebank configuration commissions, so for artwork specifically, I would recommend checking out other artists' commission threads, posts, and their terms of service.

If you want your clients to pay first, you need to be clear about the timeline. When you'll be sending work in progress shots, accepting feedback/revisions, and when you'll send the final piece. The client should be able to trust that you will do your part in the transaction and not run off with their money. If you're taking a break or unable to work on commissions, be clear about that as well.

Mang0

Momo's Minion
My area of expertise is in music and voicebank configuration commissions, so for artwork specifically, I would recommend checking out other artists' commission threads, posts, and their terms of service.

If you want your clients to pay first, you need to be clear about the timeline. When you'll be sending work in progress shots, accepting feedback/revisions, and when you'll send the final piece. The client should be able to trust that you will do your part in the transaction and not run off with their money. If you're taking a break or unable to work on commissions, be clear about that as well.
Awesome, thanks!
Post automatically merged:

One last question: The BUSINESS paypal is the one with all those useful features you mentioned. It charges a fee to people paying somone. Are customers ok with that?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You can still create invoices with paypal personal accounts, but either way, yes, there is a fee in the transaction that you, the seller, are meant to pay. The amount is taken out of how much you receive from the transaction. You cannot explicitly charge this exact fee to the customer. You should price your commissions up front to cover all of your expected costs, including things like software subscriptions, materials and resources used, and processing fees.