Help with UTAU Box Art

poundthemochi

Teto's Territory
Anyways, I'm wondering how to make my boxart look normal? Any help, I looked at a video but, it was too fast and no help at all. I want to be like this.
See the background and all.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't think your image attachment worked.

Try TinyPic, ImageShack, reuploading, or simply linking to both the example of what you are trying to do and what you have right now.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well Crypton-style boxes are certainly popular but they are not the only way to go but if you want it Crypton-style then generally people like to put a grey bar, UTAU-loid and maybe some group information.

In the foreground they have an image of their UTAU, background an enlarged verison, and a styalized version of their name. There is an entire thread of examples of VO.

Here are my two versions of my boxart. To the left the Crypton-inspired one. To the right something more original! You of course don't have to go 3D but I chose to go the extra step.
3dboxarts.jpg

You don't have to follow the Crypton format, Internet Co. has their own style, I know of an UTAU who was videogame box inspired, and another who packaged his like software. Really you are only limited by your own imagination.

Take a look at the various Gumi Extend boxarts:
http://vocaloid.wikia.com/wiki/Gumi#Vocaloid_3_Megpoid
I think they really stand out and deviate from the usual Crypton format

poundthemochi

Teto's Territory
Hentai link said:
Well Crypton-style boxes are certainly popular but they are not the only way to go but if you want it Crypton-style then generally people like to put a grey bar, UTAU-loid and maybe some group information.

In the foreground they have an image of their UTAU, background an enlarged verison, and a styalized version of their name. There is an entire thread of examples of VO.

Here are my two versions of my boxart. To the left the Crypton-inspired one. To the right something more original! You of course don't have to go 3D but I chose to go the extra step.
3dboxarts.jpg

You don't have to follow the Crypton format, Internet Co. has their own style, I know of an UTAU who was videogame box inspired, and another who packaged his like software. Really you are only limited by your own imagination.

Take a look at the various Gumi Extend boxarts:
http://vocaloid.wikia.com/wiki/Gumi#Vocaloid_3_Megpoid
I think they really stand out and deviate from the usual Crypton format
Thanks for the forum on VO.
Two more question:
How do you copy something in paint sai (my utau) and paste on it's box art background?

V6Fluke

Momo's Minion
  Hey there!

You say you're a SAI newcomer, so I'm writing this assuming you have minimal knowledge of the program.

To copy your Utau onto the background, you're going to need both files open in sai. File>Open, then locate your files on your computer.

So you have your Utau open:
vi01lk.png
(This is just a scanned sketch I grabbed, but it gets the point across! I has excess stuff on it and I need to copy my creature onto a background.)

And you have your background open:
4r3x47.png
(Again, not a box art but something I want to put my picture on top of!)

The problem is, they're not in the same file! To fix that, we need to click the box selection tool.
34g3ddf.png
You'll find that under your color wheel above all your brushes. Now, my SAI may look a little different from yours because my tool bars are on either side of the screen, rather than all being on the left side. Don't worry about that! They're all still arranged the same, despite being on opposite sides of the screen.

Drag that selection tool across all of your background. You'll see black and white dots moving around your selected area.
2mw5co6.png
Dot city!
You can either go to Edit>Copy or press Ctrl+C to copy your selection.

Then, click on your Utau file in Sai. You can Edit>Paste, or Ctrl+V

Unfortunately, the background is now above your utau! To fix that, go to your layers window.
144693q.png
See how layer 2 (your background) is over layer 1 (your utau)? To fix this, you click and drag layer two under layer 1. When you click and drag, it will highlight pink. Once it's dragged far enough below layer 1 to be placed under it, a pink bar will appear under layer one. You can now release the layer.

Now, the background is under your utau. But your utau still needs to be isolated! So choose the freeform select tool located to the right of the box select tool.
or42v6.jpg
Then drag it around your utau, so those same selection dots move around it.
2cmq0m.png

Then, copy and past that selection. It will make another layer on top of layer one! Layer one is now irrelevant, so you can delete it by dragging it to the little trash can above the layer window.

Now, your Utau is on top of your background! Unfortunately, it has a nasty white around it from your selection. To fix this, click on the eraser tool or hit e. Then go around your Utau and carefully erase the excess white.
kajmnc.png

Then, you have successfully copied your Utau and pasted it onto a background using Paint Tool SAI!
2461bfm.png

I hope this helps!

poundthemochi

Teto's Territory
V6Fluke link said:
  Hey there!

You say you're a SAI newcomer, so I'm writing this assuming you have minimal knowledge of the program.

To copy your Utau onto the background, you're going to need both files open in sai. File>Open, then locate your files on your computer.

So you have your Utau open:
vi01lk.png
(This is just a scanned sketch I grabbed, but it gets the point across! I has excess stuff on it and I need to copy my creature onto a background.)

And you have your background open:
4r3x47.png
(Again, not a box art but something I want to put my picture on top of!)

The problem is, they're not in the same file! To fix that, we need to click the box selection tool.
34g3ddf.png
You'll find that under your color wheel above all your brushes. Now, my SAI may look a little different from yours because my tool bars are on either side of the screen, rather than all being on the left side. Don't worry about that! They're all still arranged the same, despite being on opposite sides of the screen.

Drag that selection tool across all of your background. You'll see black and white dots moving around your selected area.
2mw5co6.png
Dot city!
You can either go to Edit>Copy or press Ctrl+C to copy your selection.

Then, click on your Utau file in Sai. You can Edit>Paste, or Ctrl+V

Unfortunately, the background is now above your utau! To fix that, go to your layers window.
144693q.png
See how layer 2 (your background) is over layer 1 (your utau)? To fix this, you click and drag layer two under layer 1. When you click and drag, it will highlight pink. Once it's dragged far enough below layer 1 to be placed under it, a pink bar will appear under layer one. You can now release the layer.

Now, the background is under your utau. But your utau still needs to be isolated! So choose the freeform select tool located to the right of the box select tool.
or42v6.jpg
Then drag it around your utau, so those same selection dots move around it.
2cmq0m.png

Then, copy and past that selection. It will make another layer on top of layer one! Layer one is now irrelevant, so you can delete it by dragging it to the little trash can above the layer window.

Now, your Utau is on top of your background! Unfortunately, it has a nasty white around it from your selection. To fix this, click on the eraser tool or hit e. Then go around your Utau and carefully erase the excess white.
kajmnc.png

Then, you have successfully copied your Utau and pasted it onto a background using Paint Tool SAI!
2461bfm.png

I hope this helps!
THANK YOU SO MUCH! >u<