High-pitched "buzzy" recordings?

zipperworks

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've been really struggling with getting a set of solid recordings recently, and I'm really confused as to what I'm doing wrong at this point.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to shake this high-pitched, kind of buzz-y sound. Example here: https://clyp.it/fr4vb5io?token=6f33a0f67001c3fa482ebe0719d868ff

Like, yes, it seems clear, but if you listen for it you can hear it. And once UTAU gets a hang of that and adds engine noise besides, it's absolutely unusable for me. Realistically, it's probably fine for most people, but I'm a perfectionist and I'm also not working with high-quality gear to get the same quality I could have gotten out of my old $60 mic from 8 years ago.

I'm working with an AT-4040 and a Roland Quad-Capture, but I admit I kind of suck with audio hardware so there is a real possibility there's something I'm doing wrong in the setup.

Any ideas?

(hopefully I posted this in the right place and provided enough information, it's been 3000 years and I'm easily confused so please forgive me if I did not)

Reactions: Aeroza

Aeroza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The first one sounds soft while the other one sounds like, normal. I'm not really sure about the problem but if you're talking about the kinda loud "sh" sound, you could try de-essing the samples, but if that's not what you were referring to, then I'm really sorry.

zipperworks

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Well, yes, I'm aware they're (slightly) different voice types, haha. I do know I have some cleanup work to do with the samples themselves, but my issue is more with the buzz in the vowel sounds than the consonants.

It's definitely an issue you have to really listen hard for to even be aware of, but... again, I'm a perfectionist.

Thank you for your help anyway, though! Honestly, I don't know how much help I'll even be able to get here since my setup is not... exactly what most people use... but I figured it was worth a shot.

Reactions: Aeroza

Kawaiine Is Queen

Momo's Minion
I'm not very experienced but I think that's just engine noise. I recommend just testing different resamplers, flag combinations, or trying to eq it out after rendering.

Reactions: vlbonnie

SneezyEevee

Momo's Minion
I had some trouble with engine noise too. Like a crunchy metallic sound? I found that stretching the pink part over the recording a bit farther seemed to help. I think it has something to do with Utau stretching the white part instead of looping it but idk. So if you only leave the white part smaller and with the recording looking even/straight, like no bumps in the waveform, then it should sound better, at least from my experience. I know how annoying that can be :0