High-pitched UTAUs?

SomeSonicFan

Momo's Minion
So, I've done a bit of digging and haven't really found anything that helps.
I use UTAU to make FNF covers, and I finalize them in FL Studio.
When I import a MIDI in the correct key, half of the time, the UTAU is very high-pitched and squeaky, pretty ear-piercing. But then when I lower it to make it sound better, it's always terribly out of key/tune and no amount of tuning I try in FL seems to fix it.
I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong in UTAU or FL?
I can try to give examples if necessary, and any amount of help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Big_B

FAVSSE VOIX

Momo's Minion
Hi!

(I don't know how much knowledge of music theory you have, so my apologies if this isn't the answer you're looking for!)

When you import the MIDI and the notes are too high for the UTAU's range, in order to ensure that the vocals are still in the same key as the instrumentals you're using, you can't just lower the notes in UTAU by any amount -- you should lower the notes by 12 half-steps (an octave.) The easiest way to tell how to do this is to look at the piano roll on the left. Whichever letter and number that the first note lines up with on the piano is the starting pitch; let's say, for example, that the first note is an F#6. Drag all the notes down until you reach the same letter but one number lower (in this case, F#5.)

Doing that will keep the vocals in the same key as the instrumentals, so it shouldn't sound out of tune. If you want to adjust the instrumentals, you could lower them by an octave, too (FL Studio likely has a function to do that, but I don't have personal experience with it so I can't help much there,) but that's not strictly necessary -- more up to personal preference.

Hope this helps!

SomeSonicFan

Momo's Minion
Hi!

(I don't know how much knowledge of music theory you have, so my apologies if this isn't the answer you're looking for!)

When you import the MIDI and the notes are too high for the UTAU's range, in order to ensure that the vocals are still in the same key as the instrumentals you're using, you can't just lower the notes in UTAU by any amount -- you should lower the notes by 12 half-steps (an octave.) The easiest way to tell how to do this is to look at the piano roll on the left. Whichever letter and number that the first note lines up with on the piano is the starting pitch; let's say, for example, that the first note is an F#6. Drag all the notes down until you reach the same letter but one number lower (in this case, F#5.)

Doing that will keep the vocals in the same key as the instrumentals, so it shouldn't sound out of tune. If you want to adjust the instrumentals, you could lower them by an octave, too (FL Studio likely has a function to do that, but I don't have personal experience with it so I can't help much there,) but that's not strictly necessary -- more up to personal preference.

Hope this helps!
Oh my god, thank you so much!! My knowledge with music is pretty limited, but my boyfriend has more experience and made sure I was doing everything you said to do correctly, even then I didn't need much help to understand. Again thank you so much!!!

Reactions: FAVSSE VOIX

FAVSSE VOIX

Momo's Minion
Oh my god, thank you so much!! My knowledge with music is pretty limited, but my boyfriend has more experience and made sure I was doing everything you said to do correctly, even then I didn't need much help to understand. Again thank you so much!!!
Of course, you're welcome!! Glad I could help! :uhuhu: