How can I get an UTAU to sound like this?

NicolaCola

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
One option is using Charsiesis, a plug-in that you can put into a mixing program like REAPER and use to make a sort of distorted effect that can imitate screamo when applied to rendered UTAU vocals. It's pretty easy to use, you pretty much just play around with the knobs until you get the sound you're looking for. I don't know if the effect it gives would really suit this song in particular, but I haven't experimented with it enough to say for sure.

This is where you can download Charsiesis:
http://www.bicycle-for-slugs.org/

Other than that, you could probably try just playing around with flags and pitchbends in UTAU until it sounds the way you want it.

I hope that helped~ ^^

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Ah! such a cute song~~

A really high value of lowercase h value might help (70-90) and light abuse of BRE might help (high BRE seems to take all the singing tone out of a voice, which might not be good for hoarse sing-screaming). As well, a subtle helping of MOD could be icing on the cake, maybe...

what resampler do you prefer using, by the way? I was conducting some experiments with the default resampler.exe, but I don't know whether those flags are present/work the same way with what you're using.

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
@NicolaCola I can't seem to figure out how to work this. I got the plugin but it doesn't show up in FL Studio, or Audacity.

@Kit The h flag isn't doing much, just lowering the volume from what I can hear. BRE just makes it a bit more airy. :c

I'm using the default resampler, usually just use that one.

NicolaCola

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
To get it in Audacity, first move the Charsiesis folder that you downloaded into the Plug-Ins folder inside the Audacity installation folder (on Windows computers, this is usually under "Program Files"; on Mac OS X, it is usually under "Applications"). Then open Audacity and go to Edit > Preferences... > Effects and then put a check in the box that says 'Rescan VST effects next time Audacity is started'. Then close out of Audacity and open it again and you should see Charsiesis under the Effects, in the bottom section.

Again, not completely sure it'll work for this type of screamo, but it's a handy effect to have nonetheless~

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
NicolaCola link said:
To get it in Audacity, first move the Charsiesis folder that you downloaded into the Plug-Ins folder inside the Audacity installation folder (on Windows computers, this is usually under \"Program Files\"; on Mac OS X, it is usually under \"Applications\"). Then open Audacity and go to Edit > Preferences... > Effects and then put a check in the box that says 'Rescan VST effects next time Audacity is started'. Then close out of Audacity and open it again and you should see Charsiesis under the Effects, in the bottom section.

Again, not completely sure it'll work for this type of screamo, but it's a handy effect to have nonetheless~

I had an old version of Audacity, so I didn't have that Effects tab. I downloaded a newer one and I got it, I'm trying out the effect now. Thanks. :D

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Aaaactually.
Uh.

Most of this is pitch bends.

Pitch bends and a small bit of Charsiesis should work; however! If the UTAU you're using is multipitch or has a screaming/belting/hoarse bank; this would be better.

For instance, Ritsu Kire with ridiculously sharp pitchbends, or Shouha G4... But a normal bank with really intense pitchbends, maybe some fast vibrato and charsiesis should work a treat.

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
What kind of pitchbends? Starting low and then going high (to the note's level) very fast?

For some reason audacity isn't loading with the new plugin, it's stopping during the loading bar. I'm going to fiddle around with that.

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I did the first example in that attachment but I can see the second one working. I'd play around for a bit.

Attachments

• i'd go with this tbh.png
    i'd go with this tbh.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 38