How can I make vccv sound smoother?

spleenstealer

Teto's Territory
I'm making a cover by myself for the first time (well, sort of - i converted a vsqx to ust and i'm doing all the tuning and changing it to vccv and all that myself), and I'm using Yami's VCCV - does anyone have any advice on making it sound smoother? I'm not very good at using UTAU yet ^^"

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I assume you're already following the the tutorials and the advice it gives.

What I have to add is actually to try and minimize your use of notes. While there are plenty of transitional notes, they only really sound good when you have actual space to use them in (long notes). For short and fast notes, it may do some good to use only a few essential notes.
Think about the way sounds change in context. You may have noticed the "dd" consonant and "x" vowel. The "dd" can be used within words like "middle" but also between words, whenever there's vowels surrounding a T or D, and the second syllable is unstressed. The "x" vowel replaces quite a few sounds when the syllable is unstressed, such as the "a" in "like a virgin". In some cases you might want to use an "i" instead, such as the word "women". But if "x" doesn't sound as good as you would like in that particular voicebank, you'll have to use "u" or "6" instead.
There's also the way that consonants blend into each other. For example, in "want you" it's not really pronounced as two separate words, "want" and "you". In singing, it would often blend together and sound more like "wan chu"

Reactions: Nohkara and luiysia