How do I get more publicity?

KibouMichi

Teto's Territory
I don't have much confidence, really; but I feel like I have some potential (not to be modest). I see UTAU youtubers get thousands of views and stuff, which makes me feel a little down because of how much effort I put into covers, voicebanks and such. I even put aside entire days to work with UTAU and I don't want that effort to go to waste when there's people out there that steal, make AWFUL English covers of Vocaloid songs and pretty much kids getting so much more attention. I don't mean to seem salty, I just feel as if there's others like me that'd benefit from the answers of this thread.

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
Well, first off I wanna say that one shouldn’t work for the sake of being famous. It takes a long time to garner views and not everyone recognizes hard work, so one should make things mainly for self satisfaction/things that they enjoy making. It will prevent you from burning out from frustration and working passionately for long usually leads to improvement which ironically leads to garnering an audience, but more importantly happiness. So I say, don’t prioritize fame too much and focus more on satisfying the desire to make things,

However, I also recognize simply wanting to be appreciated for hard work, so here is my advice on getting noticed (For your covers. To be honest if you just make trash memes you’ll get famous pretty fast //ive found// but most people don’t wanna be known for just memes, LEL):

1. Talk to people. Not necessarily spamming them about your covers because that is often seen as annoying, just comment on people’s tracks/videos and talk to people on forums and such. It increases your chances of being seen + making friends. It is very rare to garner a viewership for covers without talking to anyone so don’t depend on getting a lucky break.

2. Be nice. Not necessarily be “fake” and just act nice to people to forward yourself but don’t act like a jerk and be earnestly solicitous to people.

3. Keep working hard. If you quit out of frustration or stop posting regularly, you will be less likely to gain an audience, more likely to lose the audience you already have, and more importantly stop improving.

4. Post on multiple platforms. Don’t spam your covers, but having multiple ways to access your content increases the likelihood of seeing it and makes it easier to see.

4. Take constructive criticism. It not only helps you improve by asking for help, but also allows you to talk to other users and make friends.

Now some general last minute advice, don’t compare yourself to others.

a. Everyone starts from different places and some things are not as easy as they are for other people. Don’t get frustrated if someone is ahead of you faster and be understanding if other people don’t do as well as soon.

B. Everyone who is famous has worked hard to be there even if you don’t think so. Don’t expect to just become a regular utau name overnight or something. It takes most people AT LEAST a year (and thay’s if you’re quick) and a lot of other factors go into that, like the declining utau fandom from the early 2000s over all and their community reputation and the song/utau, whether there is a ust, and things like that.

C. Don’t look down on other people. Calling other people’s covers awful is just mean and a bad attitude and it can make one erroneously start to think that they are self entitled to other people’s views. (Though stealing of course is a different story) There are different reasons for a cover being popular and often using a popular synth is enough to be noticed. This is why popularity should not be prioritized, as it is not a measure of skill or worth. Other people being popular doesn’t negatively affect you, so don’t be embittered about it. Acknowledge the hard work that not only you, but everyone does.

D. You should be modest (but not having low self esteem). Don’t get me wrong, confidence in your work is a good thing. It’s always nice to see someone who is happy with the work they make and happy to produce it. But acknowledge that everyone has places to improve and don’t see yourself as better than other people or entitled to being viewed because of it. Be self aware and take ofher people’s advice, etc.

And well, that’s all the advice I can think of. Mainly, just do your own thing as best as you can, make friends and as you improve, your dedication will pay off in the end. Good luck!

Last edited:

KibouMichi

Teto's Territory
Well, first off I wanna say that one shouldn’t work for the sake of being famous. It takes a long time to garner views and not everyone recognizes hard work, so one should make things mainly for self satisfaction/things that they enjoy making. It will prevent you from burning out from frustration and working passionately for long usually leads to improvement which ironically leads to garnering an audience, but more importantly happiness. So I say, don’t prioritize fame too much and focus more on satisfying the desire to make things,

However, I also recognize simply wanting to be appreciated for hard work, so here is my advice on getting noticed (For your covers. To be honest if you just make trash memes you’ll get famous pretty fast //ive found// but most people don’t wanna be known for just memes, LEL):

1. Talk to people. Not necessarily spamming them about your covers because that is often seen as annoying, just comment on people’s tracks/videos and talk to people on forums and such. It increases your chances of being seen + making friends. It is very rare to garner a viewership for covers without talking to anyone so don’t depend on getting a lucky break.

2. Be nice. Not necessarily be “fake” and just act nice to people to forward yourself but don’t act like a jerk and be earnestly solicitous to people.

3. Keep working hard. If you quit out of frustration or stop posting regularly, you will be less likely to gain an audience, more likely to lose the audience you already have, and more importantly stop improving.

4. Post on multiple platforms. Don’t spam your covers, but having multiple ways to access your content increases the likelihood of seeing it and makes it easier to see.

4. Take constructive criticism. It not only helps you improve by asking for help, but also allows you to talk to other users and make friends.

Now some general last minute advice, don’t compare yourself to others.

a. Everyone starts from different places and some things are not as easy as they are for other people. Don’t get frustrated if someone is ahead of you faster and be understanding if other people don’t do as well as soon.

B. Everyone who is famous has worked hard to be there even if you don’t think so. Don’t expect to just become a regular utau name overnight or something. It takes most people AT LEAST a year (and thay’s if you’re quick) and a lot of other factors go into that, like the declining utau fandom from the early 2000s over all and their community reputation and the song/utau, whether there is a ust, and things like that.

C. Don’t look down on other people. Calling other people’s covers awful is just mean and a bad attitude and it can make one erroneously start to think that they are self entitled to other people’s views. (Though stealing of course is a different story) There are different reasons for a cover being popular and often using a popular synth is enough to be noticed. This is why popularity should not be prioritized, as it is not a measure of skill or worth. Other people being popular doesn’t negatively affect you, so don’t be embittered about it. Acknowledge the hard work that not only you, but everyone does.

D. You should be modest (but not having low self esteem). Don’t get me wrong, confidence in your work is a good thing. It’s always nice to see someone who is happy with the work they make and happy to produce it. But acknowledge that everyone has places to improve and don’t see yourself as better than other people or entitled to being viewed because of it. Be self aware and take ofher people’s advice, etc.

And well, that’s all the advice I can think of. Mainly, just do your own thing as best as you can, make friends and as you improve, your dedication will pay off in the end. Good luck!
Thanks, man, I will try to expand my platforms and stuff, maybe even do art raffles or something; I remember gaining something like 10 followers on Twitter from one (even if most of them unfollowed me when they didn't win RIP)
I didn't mean to look down on them, although i see how it can be seen as that; sometimes I speak my opinions and they come out as plain rood lmao.

Reactions: RaccoonButler