How do I make a Voicebank sound less metallic? (UTAU-Synth)

Marcie.

Momo's Minion
I wanna try and make a voicebank sound less metallic. I've discovered I can't change the sampler. I've tried messing around with flags but I don't know if it's helping. Does anyone have any advice?

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
the most common solution for this is using a program called wine(which helps you run programs made for windows on mac) to open windows UTAU and use different resamplers. though personally, it didn't work very well on my old computer. for some people it works though. i think my computer was just too old.

there's also this new program that's being made called UTSU, one of the goals of UTSU is to make it so that you can run any resampler on any computer with utsu on it. It currently hasn't implemented that if memory serves, since the program is still in development but i find that the default resampler for UTSU sounds less metallic than UTAU synth. ( heres the thread for utsu https://utaforum.net/threads/utsu-a-cross-platform-vocal-synth-frontend.17476/page-11#post-146633 )

you can also try messing around with it in mixing. sometimes i try to cover it up a bit by raising bass a little bit... or i embrace the metallic-ness and go for a reverb-y auto-tuney effect instead. also, i think turning up the BRE helps slightly if you don't mind a raspier voice.

Marcie.

Momo's Minion
the most common solution for this is using a program called wine(which helps you run programs made for windows on mac) to open windows UTAU and use different resamplers. though personally, it didn't work very well on my old computer. for some people it works though. i think my computer was just too old.

there's also this new program that's being made called UTSU, one of the goals of UTSU is to make it so that you can run any resampler on any computer with utsu on it. It currently hasn't implemented that if memory serves, since the program is still in development but i find that the default resampler for UTSU sounds less metallic than UTAU synth. ( heres the thread for utsu https://utaforum.net/threads/utsu-a-cross-platform-vocal-synth-frontend.17476/page-11#post-146633 )

you can also try messing around with it in mixing. sometimes i try to cover it up a bit by raising bass a little bit... or i embrace the metallic-ness and go for a reverb-y auto-tuney effect instead. also, i think turning up the BRE helps slightly if you don't mind a raspier voice.
Ah! Thank you, I've tried Wine and it didn't really work, but I've downloaded UTSU and hopefully that will! Thanks for your tips!

melobuniiP

Queen of Bunnies, Thou shalt not forget.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Samples too short, bad otos, low quality recordings, many things can be reasons. Don't jump onto the utsu, its still in alpha mode and won't work for everyone,

RoseMB

Momo's Minion
I'm unsure of weather you're using your own voicebank that you recorded yourself or if you're using
someone else's, but this helped my own personal voicebank sound less metallic.

I had a voicebank that I recorded staying around -18dB and it was quite metallic sounding. I noticed
that everything that would come out of Utau was around -6dB, so I assumed
it sounded this way because Utau itself had to raise the volume a bit. I decided to rerecord
the same voicebank with the same tools and methods as the last, but this time staying around -6dB.
The results were quite a bit less metallic. Not perfect, but definitely less metallic. Maybe you've
recorded too quietly.
I've only been using Utau for a little over 2 years and I've only started recording my own
voicebanks for about 1 year and I'm still learning, But this helped me with a metallic voice and doesn't
involve flags or resamplers. hopefully This will be able to help at least a little.

(Also, I wasn't sure how to explain it without giving you a whole story, so I hope that's alright.)