How do I record and oto Japanese cvvc

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
I have a realist but I've never sealed with cvvc I've never recorded or otoed cvvc how do I do it ?

warm rootbeer

The Helpful Insomniac
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
If you want to spend money you can do that^

But if you want to learn how to do it yourself and don't have money to spend on UTAU, I recommend downloading a CVVC UTAU, like Shirakane Hiyori's CVVC, listening to the .wav files, and looking through the OTO to start to get an understanding of why certain sounds are OTO'd a certain way. The CV parts are going to be OTO'd differently than the VC parts. Here are some tutorials and resources:

http://utaforum.net/resources/ghostys-guide-to-japanese-cvvc.136/

http://konane-s.deviantart.com/art/really-basic-Utau-CVVC-oto-tutorial-414000796

http://ch.nicovideo.jp/delta_kimigatame/blomaga/ar533241

Experiment with UTAU and do what works best for you. Every bank is different. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Our services may cost a small fee, but it includes live assistance where mistakes can be corrected during the recording process. We will also give tips to facilitate not just this, but any future banks as well. If the customer wants that service to extend beyond just the recording process and wants to learn otoing as well, we also offer that (assuming they want to oto on their own).

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Feel free to contact me if you need someone to teach you.
At UfB we can coach you, but I will put some general information here for free.

Recording is as simple as record as "ka-ka" from there you take the first "- ka" the middle "a k" and the second "ka".

Unfortunately the resources that Shirahime has linked are. Very-very rough. Lacking lots of necessary explanation.
You really can't learn how to oto a voicebank by simply looking at the samples- it won't make sense to a lot of people.
It would of been better if she explained the process in her own words, rather than linking tutorials from deviant art. Especially because it doesn't explain recording.

I'll explain it briefly here. Remeber, otoing methods work for all voices, you just need to make minor adjustments.

the CV part of a CVVC voicebank would be otoed much like a normal CV.
For the sake of simplicity this will be veey general, you can be more exact than this.

With the example of "ka ka" you have two CV samples in Japanese CVVC, the starting "- ka" for the first note and the second "ka" for usage between notes.

For the starting note:

hard consonants (like k p b t r d and ch) will get an overlap of 30 and that will be spaced evenly before consonant so there is a moment of silence before the sample. Preutterence goes between consonant and vowel
(reference 1)

for fricative consonants (like s sh z v etc) you set the overlap to 35 and cut off amd silence before the consonant.
Preutterence goes between the vowel and consonant.

For fluid consonants (like n m y w etc) you can oto them much the same as the fricative consonants. You may increase the overlap to 40

For second CV:

cut of any of the previous vowel-
hard consonants:
lower the overlap if needed to keep it just before the consonant (no negatives)

Fricative consonants are otoed the same. preutterence should be no more that 110ms, cut of some of the consonant if it is more.
(reference 2)

Fluid consonants are otoed the same. Max preutterence of 100ms.
(reference 3)

The VC samples:
Overlap 85, preutterence 115.
Preutterence goes right at the end of the consonant.

You can use a higher overlap if you want/need- just make sure the preutterence is at least 20ms higher than the overlap.
------------

If you happen to record stop-consonant (where you record as "kak" instead) then oto the hard consonants like "reference 1"

Oto the fricatives like at "referece 2"

Oto fluids like at "reference 3"
-------------

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at UfB! We will make sure recording goes smoothly.

Last edited:

warm rootbeer

The Helpful Insomniac
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Very-very rough. Lacking lots of necessary explanation.

Which is why I mentioned he could message me for further assistance, I'm on my phone right now and can't type very well at the moment. Some people respond better to pictures, than walls of text, which is why I provided the aforementioned links.

You can contact any tutor on here for assistance, at no cost, as well. There is no ONE way to oto a voicebank. Good luck and I'm here if you need assistance @Utau4life
[DOUBLEPOST=1436463843][/DOUBLEPOST]
Unfortunately the resources that Shirahime has linked are. Very-very rough. Lacking lots of necessary explanation.
You really can't learn how to oto a voicebank by simply looking at the samples- it won't make sense to a lot of people.
It would of been better if she explained the process in her own words, rather than linking tutorials from deviant art. Especially because it doesn't explain recording.

I also never said you can learn how to OTO a bank by looking at samples, I said he should study it to understand the way a CVVC functions before jumping in and OTOing, which WILL create mistakes if he doesnt. . I did not feel like reiterating information that was already present in those links. As I said before, some people learn better by looking at actual examples and pictures. There are different styles of learning, just like there are different styles of OTO'ing.

Last edited:

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Which is why I mentioned he could message me for further assistance. Some people respond better to pictures, than walls of text, which is why I provided the aforementioned links.

You can contact any tutor on here for assistance, at no cost, as well. There is no ONE way to oto a voicebank. Good luck and I'm here if you need assistance @Utau4life

Actually, there is one way to oto each method(otoing VCV, CV, CVVC are all the same)- just different ways of executing it.

As coaching live takes time, we charge a small fee- and that's better than text.

Regardless we are all here to help Utau4Life, afterall :wink:

warm rootbeer

The Helpful Insomniac
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Actually, there is one way to oto each method(otoing VCV, CV, CVVC are all the same)- just different ways of executing it.
That's not really true, but I respect your opinion. Either way, you don't need to attack people if you feel they are wrong.

That's all I'm saying in regards to this. @Utau4life feel free to message me if you need further assistance.

Last edited:

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Shira, please calm down.
I wasn't attacking you and I feel you are taking this a bit too personally, perhaps?

I am trying my best to help Utau4life to make sure they get off to a good start. I feel we should go back on that topic rather than derailing it.

Utau4life, my apologies for the disruption. If you have any questions you should ask here, in you thread! That way we all can see it and provide collective input :smile:

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
Thank you guys I will comeback when I finally get my computer and can start this project lol thanks again

Aali

Ruko's Ruffians
I agree Shirahime about the looking into guides 1st and attempting to do it yourself. I tried to oto mine and failed horribly. If you look far enough, you may find some really nice people who can help you out for free :D I'm not bashing the paid service people, I just don't don't think this is something that I would put money into. I hope this helped you! :smile:

Reactions: warm rootbeer