How do you test your voicebanks?

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by Apicat, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Apicat

Apicat Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Hi, everyone! Hope you've all had a great day (or are about to)! :creepy:

I've finished recording one pitch of my UTAU a while back, and currently it's default otoed with SetParam. I'm in the process of fixing things up with the oto. It's a lot of work!

I was just wondering: How do you guys test your voicebanks for any timing errors? I really don't want to spend all day looking through all the sound strings(?) and checking them for timing errors one by one :wink:

Thanks!

3. Zansatsu

Zansatsu Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I normally plug a voicebank into an ust and listen back to hear if there are any errors with the oto or recording. It helps a lot ^^

4. azazel

azazel your local jar of salsa Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    i sometimes give out my beta voicebanks to a handful of mutuals so that they can give me feedback on it umu

Apicat likes this.
  5. Reson_Lore

Reson_Lore Lord Of Edge

Trophy Points
    When testing individual samples, I just place them in three times, one very short, one medium length and one long then change things so it fits all three right.

When I want to test things all round, I have a test UST using the above method with every sample (bear in mind, my VBs are CV) so I can test everything with overlaps and pitch edits, as well as testing everything crossfaded and at different pitches.

Apicat likes this.
  6. Yanderu

Yanderu Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I usually take my VB to test via UST's that are moderately to extremely long, and also do resampler tests on short areas to find a good resampler. Then if it works out I render it out then mix and give people to critique it. When coming to sample timing, the oto says it all, either the end of a note is oddly sampled to vowels and liquids becoming slurry. (This is what I do for VCV/CVVC) For CV, it's plug and play, whilst oto'ing, just to make sure the consonants/transitions sound relatively natural.

Extra's that I do: VCV) I usually take the normal generated oto into a UST and test first, then iron it out. If a bank is super wonky, I start all over.

Apicat likes this.
  7. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    If it's a CV voicebank, it's more practical to do the OTO from scratch than to generate a base with Setparam. The above mentioned methods do work, but I'd recommend them more for large banks like VCV or non-Japanese banks where a base OTO is the necessary practical solution and you do just need to adjust for final fit.

Apicat likes this.