How EXACTLY Does a CVVC Oto work?

Shasta

Professional Lurker
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Ok, CVVC for Japanese UTAU has been kinda popular lately and I want to know how the oto works so I can hop on the bandwagon. I heard that the VC part otos like a VCV, so I'm good with that, but the CV part.. How do you oto that without causing the consonants to double?

Oremo doesn't run on my computer, and I don't trust the auto-oto feature in Moresampler, so I oto by hand.
I have never used or worked with CVVC in my life, I personally prefer CV or VCV, but I want Shadow to be usable so I plan on doing a CVVC. Before you ask, as soon as I figure out how it works, I plan on making my own reclist.

How is a CVVC otoed? Also.... How do the USTs work for a CVVC?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
In CVVC, you oto the CV parts as normal CV, and the VC parts are meant to be transitions. For example if you listen closely to a word like "koko", you'll notice that right at the moment it transitions as "ok" you can hear the "o" fade out in a way that only happens if the next consonant is a "k". The intended effect is not to double the consonant but to transition the end of the vowel more accurately. I don't have a CVVC otoing tutorial on me at the moment, but I know that Delta made one here.
http://ch.nicovideo.jp/delta_kimigatame/blomaga/ar533241

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
CVVC is oto'd as such:

For vowels (you're familiar with VCV; the same transitional rules apply)...

- v.png
v v.png
v -.png

For - CV, VC, and CV...

- cv.png
v c.png - this applies to hard consonants (b, d, g, k, p, t)

v c - soft.png - this applies to fricatives, liquids, and nasals (ch, f, j, m, n/ng, r/l, s, sh, v, z, zh)

cv.png
cv soft.png

As for how to use CVVC in the context of a UST...
- Some people like to use presamp, which prevents having to directly convert the ust to a different format.

- Others prefer to use autocvvc to convert the ust to cvvc - I would say this is more full proof, esp. if you're working with a non-japanese bank and need control over transitions. The caveat is that you'll have a longer wait time for rendering.

Depending on the language, you may still need to edit things manually by hand.

http://utau.us/cvvc.html - this site explains the conversion methods with gif and audio examples.