How old were you when you found UTAU and Vocaloid?

keiran h

★Working on it★
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
i was at the school library doing nothing, I saw a bunch of guys watching a concert on a guys laptop, and I was kinda curious about what concert were they watching, I walked around them and then I saw HATSUNE MIKU dancing :o They told me everything about her and I fell in love xD haha

And about UTAU, I really don't remember how I found UTAU, maybe randomly on YouTube.

Oh and I was 18 years old

Once again, sorry about my English

WretchedKalamity

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I knew about vocaloid from a young age... but like as for utau? Only about two years ago. it took some time to learn about it, but I've gotten pretty far since then.

thibaud76200

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I think I learned about Vocaloid when I was 12 (I think), and UTAU when I was 13. That was a long time ago, now that I think of it...

Skiyoshi 十三

Lotus#12915
Defender of Defoko
When I was 12, I drew out my "Vocaloid OC" and attempted UTAU, I gave up on him since I didn't understand the program.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
11, I was making zelda fangames on Scratch, and I noticed that other people on scratch also liked something called "vocaloid"
I started recording my first UTAU on October 26, 2011, at about 9 pm.

Fawningover

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I actually found knew about MMD before I knew that they were even vocaloids! Me and my sibling watched what are essentially meme contimplations containing them. I think I was in middle school so I was like 11-12 ish? It was when Neru ,Teto and Haku were still used regularly to make up for the lack of people lol. I think I learned about UTAU pretty early on in my vocaloid fandom days bc of things like tetos territory and ,again, with her being added randomly throughout videos and songs.

Reactions: PrinceofHades

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I think I was like 10 or 11 when I found out about Miku and the other cryptonloids, and Teto was shortly after that. That was like 7-8 years ago..... which is really weird. lol

HowlingWolf15

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Found out about Vocaloid when I was 11, saw UTAU shortly after and tried to use it, but it was too complicated and most of the covers I was seeing that didn't use Teto were really roboticy (especially from the oversea ones I unfortunately had to see around the time) or barely understandable so I wasn't a fan at all then. Then about 4 years later that changed when I saw a really good cover of a song with Ruko's Male KIRE VB, but that's another story for another day

UtaUtaUtau

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I knew Vocaloid and UTAU when I was about uhmm... 12? It's because I became curious if there were like, robot singers, and Vocaloid is the one that caught my attention. Then I say to myself "Is there a free version of this?". After that, I saw a comment from a song sung by Lily. I think it was Marie-Luise, saying "Is Lily an UTAUloid?". I started research and started UTAU in the age of 13. I'm 14 now doe.

bio

VocalSynth Enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I found miku when I was 10, and teto and utau when I was around 11, and made one at 13

keopi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
i heard of vocaloid from a friend in school who was singing world is mine (ofc)
i was like 10 or so
and then i heard makune hachi singing i=fantasy and got into utau in the same year
(the hachi thing is the reason misha is my wife but she dont know. creep x1023984))

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
hmm well I'd probably heard some of it earlier (I feel like I've known matryoshka for my entire life...) but in the summer between 8th and 9th grade (so i was... uh.... 14?) I had to go on a road trip and my ipod was broken so i listened to music on my sister's old crappy flip phone, and i didn't like most of her music so i just listened to the supercell album, plus a few other songs, on repeat.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm pretty sure I first heard about Vocaloid while I was in high school. Liiike...hmm...I guess I was 14 or 15 if my math is correct. I started getting way into it my junior and senior year(like actually learning about it and getting into the UTAU community as opposed to being just a hyper casual listener) and was hardcore into it and UTAU by the time I started college.

I'm 24 now if you need a comparison of sorts.

keiran h

★Working on it★
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I read all of your posts and they all are intresting
Most of them were like " I heard about this when I was 10"
Aaahhhhhh we are not getting any younger!
I'm 22 tho :sick:

Ronnie <UniverseJuice>

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Man I think my girlfriend (LunarConstruct) showed it to me sometime in my 7th grade year... so like.. 11 or 12 I think? She showed me her UTAU first, and then we read Len and Kaito fanfiction together for days... She then made me make an UTAU and at the time I was really excited about it. She ran it for a few years after I moved away, and then late into my 8th grade year I got back into it a little bit. I'm sorta off-and-on when it comes to UTAU.

I'm 17 and about to graduate high school now for a comparison.
I'm still pretty off-and-on

Reactions: luiysia

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I just heard somewhere(?) in real life or news (I don't remember well anymore) that "robots can nowadays sing" and I was like really?!?! I Google and first thing which I found was Hatsune Miku's World is Mine. (It was 2010 and I was 13 back then). I really liked back then her (I didn't expect that she would sound so smooth and understandable!) and very soon I also found other Crypton's Vocaloids. I did want to know them all and I did read Vocaloid Wiki article of all Vocaloids, listened every of them and I liked every Vocaloid less or more. Hahah, I was really in.

I first time heard Kasane Teto in 2011 because triple baka. But I didn't get interested in UTAU in that point because people did comment about Teto that "she's not a Vocaloid" "She's not good because she isn't a Vocaloid" and so on. I did not much understand back then what's an UTAU and so on so I did really trust what people said about her so I was like "Mmm... Ok..."

In 2013 spring (I was 16 and 9th grade) I got interested in to create "own Vocaloid" and I was like "can I make my own". I research and learned that no, I cannot make own Vocaloid but I can make an UTAU. And boom! Then I got an idea of UTAU and I really liked it! I did download UTAU-Synth in same summer and recorded first own vb in October 2013 and all started from there :"D

Nowadays I'm more in with UTAU than Vocaloid. Vocaloid is still nice/ok but not as much like in my high school days.

LunarConstruct

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Oh gosh here we go

I'm pretty sure I started learning about Vocaloid in 2009, either that or late 2008 its kinda blurry lmao
I found it accidentally actually, I was looking at Touhou videos on youtube and found this video. Went through that whole "ooooh I wanna watch the Vocaloid anime" phase for a little and then realized what it actually was!
I'd wanted to make an UTAU for a while since I figured out what they were, but couldn't quite figure out how until late 2010, which is when i released my first UTAU (who is garbage dumpster fire and should be deleted from the planet)

I was probably 11ish when I found Vocaloid, and i was 12 when I made my first UTAU. I'm 17 now, turning 18, and it's been a great ride so far!!! <3

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
I.... I don't remember. I DO remember that I got into Vocaloid via MMD. XD I loved the MMD videos and all that, and I randomly discovered that Miku wasn't just a character model, but something called a Vocaloid! But because I wanted to use Miku to create songs and I couldn't afford it... I didn't follow up with the Vocaloid.

Flash forward to two years ago: I rediscovered Vocaloid via... dammit, I don't remember 0_0. I do remember that my first two favorite vocaloid songs were Abstract Nonsense by Neru and Chronophobia (don't remember who did that one OTL) both sung by Kagamine Rin. I fell in love with the song Jitter Doll, and while looking for a subbed version, I found Kyaami's cover with Ritsu. I then discovered UTAU, and that I could make an UTAU with my voice. Because I have always wanted to do my own original songs (but have always been told I can't sing ^^; ) I was hooked. And now you are never getting rid of me, I am here forever! :D

So, to conclude, I'd wager I was about 14 when I first heard about Vocaloid. o3ob