How to improve?

DraygonChan

Teto's Territory
How do people end up with successful UTAU anyway? Their covers sound amazing, the bank itself is godly, the designs are neat and cool... but how do you get there? I know this is probably an extremely stupid question, but all I've done in the two years of knowing UTAU, I've only made one decent quality CV bank (now inactive/discontinued) that I personally OTOed.

Is there a certain voicetype people love? Are there certain voicetypes frowned upon in the community? (This is most likely due to hearing my internal voice all of the time, but I HATE my actual voice.)

Which kinds of banks are the best for Japanese and/or English(CVVC/VCV/etc)?

How does one fix background noise sensitivity in a Blue Nessie (or really any) mic? Using a blanket?

To be honest, I'd like to have something that people LIKE (or absolutely love!) and possibly USE for themselves, like Kai Kim, Matsudappoiyo or Gahata Meiji. Heck, even dropping a few useful tutorial links would be nice.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
(snip)...Their covers sound amazing, the bank itself is godly, the designs are neat and cool... but how do you get there?

Is there a certain voicetype people love? Are there certain voicetypes frowned upon in the community?
Which kinds of banks are the best for Japanese and/or English(CVVC/VCV/etc)?
How does one fix background noise sensitivity in a Blue Nessie (or really any) mic? Using a blanket?
To be honest, I'd like to have something that people LIKE (or absolutely love!) and possibly USE for themselves, like Kai Kim, Matsudappoiyo or Gahata Meiji. Heck, even dropping a few useful tutorial links would be nice.

With hard work. You don't just suddenly become popular.
Banks are usually considered "godly" usually because the voicer has...well...a great voice and they use a high quality microphone. And they just make the design pleasing.
Voice types that are frowned upon are speaking banks. They are considered "effortless banks" and lazy. Not only that but they don't sound good anyways.

CVVC is a good type as it's small and just as fluid as VCV, it all depends how strict you are with the recording and the oto.But you can easily record a good VCV list (not the Ritsu VCV list) and pull CVVC sounds from that as well.
CVVC is the best method for english. Actually, it's the only practical method...

You can't fix background noise sensitivity, that's not the job of a mic. A blanket won't fix that because you need lots of MASS to block sound (ie: not studio foam or a little recording box). You're best bet is to get s far from the noise source as possible.

Remember, there is no tutorial for success, only constant effort and perseverance.

That being said...just look up some tutorials on how to sing. I say this because Utau banks need to be...well...sung...
and get a good usb cable and see if you can record in like a closet or something...improvise.

Last edited:
Reactions: oteto

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Yo! T u T Coming from a user that's been in the community for a while, there's a few things that I've taken in from the community.

I've been in here for a while and the one thing I can recommend fully to improve, is to just make friends in the community that you genuinely enjoy. It's a bit of a weird thing to recommend and a bit corny but it's really made a difference since I joined. But I've learned a lot from those I've met, tips and tricks, how to use programs and overall having positive pushes from peers has made me continue using UTAU.

Another thing that will help you improve, is to just try new things. Haven't tried a certain voicebank type, go for it. Haven't tried making a pv, do it! There's nothing wrong with trying something new, and the experience you gain while learning and going through with it will benefit you. Try drawing, try mixing in a different program. Nothing can hurt.

Currently the better banks are the ones that sound the most natural, rather than being "forced" and fake sounding. There's nothing wrong with voice acting a character, but sometimes it can be overdone. I don't particularly enjoy my voice either. But the banks I currently make now with my natural voice sound a lot better, and I've received the most positive feedback on. So even if you dislike your voice, it may be incredibly appealing to others, especially in it's most natural state.

Where I am currently, my favorite voice types are those that can handle a good range, and have some expression. The most common banks I download are multi-pitch VCV banks that may or may not contain different tones/appends. Banks that are overly exaggerated I have to be in the mood for, but by far my favorite voice type is recorded in VCV. It's smoother than CV and is just one type I love more than CVVC and others. Most of the banks you mentioned have these types of banks. But don't limit yourself to one type, try them all if you'd like! Some people prefer one over the other, I'll download a good cvvc or cv bank, but I still prefer VCV.

As far as voice bank tips go, I have a few silly tips that not everyone mentions, (copied from my old guide to utau http://kitcat190.deviantart.com/journal/Alice-s-Guide-To-UTAU-The-Community-517311744 )
  • I personally don't mind accents, but it's good to know what you're supposed to be pronouncing in advance
  • If you're aiming for a well audible Japanese bank. Be very aware of what you're recording, be clear and on pitch every time.
  • I can always hear a difference in UTAU that have been "recorded" and ones that have been "Recorded!" And what I mean by that is-
  1. Give some emotion or care into what you record. If you recorded it sounding bored, it will sound bored. If you recorded it singing and happy, it will sound that way.
  2. Listen to what you've recorded. Make sure there's not icky sounds, breathing or BG noise.
  • Be clear with your sounds. I personally, always pronounce things clearly when I speak now. But when recording try to make your consonants stand out so they can be heard in UTAU. But with that being said, don't go over board and make it sound not like you and more like someone getting a uppercut.
  • Try to hold some of the consonant
  • Try to record at the same tempo or around that area.
  • Make sure you wont be interrupted/have noise.
As far as your microphone itself goes, I use a blue snowball, which of course isn't the same microphone from yours but I do have a blue line microphone. Example
My tips for recording are as follow:
  • Find an insulated area to record, I currently record in a walk-in closet with heavily insulated walls. Some users make a portable sound box, others even record in a car. Do your research and find what's best for you!
  • Limit your noise. Record during a time where little to nothing is making noise (family, cars, electronics ect.)
  • Use a pop filter
  • Stand up straight and project yourself clearly, it does make a difference
  • Do a couple vocal warm ups before recording to get your best results
  • Never stress your vocals, if it starts getting uncomfortable, it will show
A voicebank can also be changed by the way it's mixed. So it's important to be aware of the daw you're using, and to look up certain tutorials for it.

Sorry if what I wrote was a bit much. But this is all in my personal experience! If you have any questions don't be afraid to continue asking, even feel free to pm me! It's a wonderful feeling to know you've improved and I hope you feel it one day! T u T9

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorreine Geralde