How to make Appends!(easy way)

mateidobrescu

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
  So i though a lot about making this tutorial on Appends and I decided to give you a little help for the ones that are sick of looking on google on how to make appends. I looked a lot of time and couldn't find a lot of hlep and info.
  Now, explanation for the ones that do not what appends are. I always gave this definition for appends: The tone(Internet.Co way)  you are recording the samples or the emotion used in(Crypton way).
  There are endless of possibilities of creating an append. Of course, some of them are very good sounding(Power and Sweet Appends) and others are not that good(Whisper Appends). This is in UTAU. In VOCALOID it's different, but i won't talk about it.

Now, if you want to make appends, be sure what append can you create with your voice! I give a little list with some type of appends.

Power: the most easiest to be made becose you have to put great accent on connsonants and vowels. Tends to be a little bit clearer.

Sweet: I find it quite triky becose you need to pitch your voice a little bit, making the bank to fit very well UST's made in higher octaves.

Dark/Serious: They are quite the same in my opinion with the difference that Serious gets a little bit muffled. These banks are fitting well on UTS's made in lower octaves.

Whisper: WARNING!!!! This append might get messed up in UTAU even though the recordings are very good! In whisper you exhale air..... a lot. I noticed it at the recordings I tried, for a week! I recomed this append for someone who has a airy voice.

Soft: This is also theoreticly easy to make. In my opinion, I think a good Soft Append is a low volumed one with very light vowels and the connsonants have to be normaly accentuated.

This is a short list of possible append for any UTAU! I recomend the recordings to be done with Audacity and after the recordings are complete, if needed, a little bit of noise reduction. Trust me, the noise reduction might make your UTAU clearer, but it can also mess him up! You have to ajust you noise redution.

If you want you can combine Appends to create new ones. For example Soft + Whisper can create a Calm Append.

Here is a sample of RV 01 Matt ACT2 ver. 3 sample:[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/matei-dobrescu/rv-01-matt-error[/soundcloud]
  And the RV 01 Matt Power Append sample to compare and have it as example of you want:[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/matei-dobrescu/rv-01-matt-power-a-thousand[/soundcloud]

Also remember that there are a lot of UTAU that have good Appends which you can get as examples.

Hope this helped and ask me everything you want about this subject and sorry that is this long!!! :wink:

EDIT: RV 01 Matt Sweet Demo:[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/matei-dobrescu/rv-01-matt-sweet-piano-x-forte[/soundcloud]

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think this would have been important to mention:

An append is a completely separate voicebank, with the same character to represent it.

A few confused newbies might still think that it's the same voicebank but somehow modified. You CAN do that, but it's a little more complicated. But basically it is completely separate.

xXpikoLoverXx

Teto's Territory
Ahh! Thank you so much for this! :D

I do have one question though.. I'm not sure if you'll answer, but it's worth a shot. When making an append voicebank, do you have to make a VCV voicebank, or can you make a CV voicebank instead?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Adlez27 said:
I think this would have been important to mention:

An append is a completely separate voicebank, with the same character to represent it.

A few confused newbies might still think that it's the same voicebank but somehow modified. You CAN do that, but it's a little more complicated. But basically it is completely separate.

It's not that complicated to put the append with the original voicebank (where you put a suffix at the end and stuff). You just need to put the wav files in another folder (if it has the same file names as the original voicebank) and put a suffix at the end depending on what kind of append it is. Using tady159's Automatic oto.ini suffixer can add a suffix at the end for the whole oto if there isn't any there yet.