how to mix like this/achieve this effect?

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
hi. this might be a bad question and i dont even know if mix is actually the best term, perhaps just achieving a certain vocal effect? anyway
im curious to how to get a certain voice effect like the way this producer does in their songs:

like, miku dark usually doesn't really sound like this. in these songs she sounds kinda metally, as if shes singing through a tube(almost UTAU like but more subtle and soft?).she kinda has luka v4 vibes in these videos if that makes sense? her consonants sound heavier and more enunciated than usual

i guess default miku dark's timbre sounds more realistic and muffled to me, so it intrigues me how this producer makes it seem as if there is more engine noise(?) plus the vocal sounds clearer than usual.

I thought it was interesting since miku dark is usually used for softer songs, but with the way this producer does it, he makes a softer voice more balanced for the more intense instrumentals instead of just using a power bank. it's an interesting combination. he also does this when using other vocaloids to an extent. I guess basically im wondering what to do to create a sort of metally tube sound mentioned

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If this in fact Miku Dark and not Miku Soft, then it sounds as if some gender factor was used make her voice more cutesy. You can replicate this with negative g flags in UTAU.

As for the mixing, it sounds as if heavy compression and EQ boosting the high frequencies (or lowering low frequencies) was used. UTAU vocals generally don't need any additional compression because every individual note is normalized to the same volume by default. EQ depends heavily on the particular song and the particular vocal, since you need to make sure that the frequencies of the vocal blend well with the frequencies of the instruments.

Reactions: m170

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
If this in fact Miku Dark and not Miku Soft, then it sounds as if some gender factor was used make her voice more cutesy. You can replicate this with negative g flags in UTAU.

As for the mixing, it sounds as if heavy compression and EQ boosting the high frequencies (or lowering low frequencies) was used. UTAU vocals generally don't need any additional compression because every individual note is normalized to the same volume by default. EQ depends heavily on the particular song and the particular vocal, since you need to make sure that the frequencies of the vocal blend well with the frequencies of the instruments.
ah that makes sense! no wonder she does sound utau-y. will try this out with other vocaloids too, thanks. still dont have much mixing knowledge to this day ahahah