Resource icon

Tutorial How to Use Breaths

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Adlez27 submitted a new resource:

How to Use Breaths - Hint: it's not a fancy OTO!

I don't personally use breaths, because I'm extremely lazy. I'm the person who renders the chorus one time, then copies and pastes it over and over again until it sounds like Circus-P. But I do believe that there is a best method for using breaths.

And this isn't it.
KE6UnzG.png

Breaths are a non-tonal sound. They don't need to be pitched up and down, or stretched an shrunk. When you use them inside of UTAU, you're subjecting them to your resampler, and it...

Read more about this resource...

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
what do I do if the breath audio files are all just the back or front end of recordings from the voicebank

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
End-breaths are a different story, and are treated much like VC samples.

If, for example, you have a VCV bank and the first "- CV" sample has a bit of breath in it, then I'd regard that as an accident. You'll want to be careful, but if you want to control breaths separately then they should be separate samples.

Reactions: luiysia

Agatechlo

Specified.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Too bad the UTAU resamplers don't have a "pass-through" flag. That would make using breaths so much easier! And it ought to be the easiest thing to implement in a resampler too.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Too bad the UTAU resamplers don't have a "pass-through" flag. That would make using breaths so much easier! And it ought to be the easiest thing to implement in a resampler too.
Use "N" flag on breaths and it'll prevent it from distorting at any pitch.
unless it's a gasp/voiced breath then modulation 0 and check the pitch but still.

Last edited:

Agatechlo

Specified.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Use "N" flag on breaths and it'll prevent it from distorting at any pitch.
unless it's a gasp/voiced breath then modulation 0 and check the pitch but still.
I tried the N on one of Aiko's breaths & IMO it sounds worse. Removing the formant filter is not the same as pass-through. Pass-through means "Resampler, don't do anything to the sample - just copy the WAV file, truncating the end if necessary to fit it within the note".

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I tried the N on one of Aiko's breaths & IMO it sounds worse. Removing the formant filter is not the same as pass-through. Pass-through means "Resampler, don't do anything to the sample - just copy the WAV file, truncating the end if necessary to fit it within the note".
If you place the breath as the N flag, mod 0, and the same center pitch as the sample it's contained within then it's about as good as you will get to pass through.
Otherwise just paste the breaths in while you're mixing or use moresampler or bhk01

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
Quickie note, since nobody has really brought it up in this discussion, or at least not specifically how:

When using moresampler, you can use the flag "u" on a note to directly use the sample you wish, with no processing being applied to that note. This function is pretty much for vocal sfx, breaths, and stuff like that. The only precaution I would take before doing this is to take note of the oto for your breath sample, lest you might find it being cut off a little. YMMV on whether one would rather insert the breath into the ust this way, or just place it in later in mixing, either way works and would likely depend on what resampler you are using.

unknownLinguist

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
:uhm:I think that maaaaaaaybe if you make the frq file blank it sounds a lot better in utau???/ not sure tbh but it's another method you could try..
:cynical:i used to have really tinny breath samples, which I think affected my frq files, leading to breaths sounding like just noise. Now I have a p good microphone and I set the frqs to have no lines(i use a plugin), bc I'm pretty sure no frq line essentially means unvoiced, and I am p sure breath sounds are considered completely unvoiced.
:wink:Anyway, good luck to anybody trying to get their breaths working in UTAU. I know it can be a struggle at times.