How would one make a reclist for a conlang that is (C)V?

Rushur

Teto's Territory
I made a conlang, It's name is mioki and I want to make a reclist for it (CVVC), How would I go around doing this?

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
First, list all vowel *phonemes* the language has.

Then list all single consonant sounds that language has.

And lastly check that what of those consonants can act as an ending consonant like “t” in English word “cat”.

If the language has possible consonant+consonant combinations, write them down too (e.g. “tr” in “tree” or “st” in “test”).

Ok, now you know the all phonemes and phoneme combination that you’ll need.

The easiest pattern to write reclist is CVCV(C). Put ending C if that is possible, other wise just CVCV.

For example “haha” and “kakak”. From these samples, you’ll able to get [- CV] [V C] [CV] (and [V C-] from k sample).

When all C’s are paired with “a” (babab, cacac, dadad... zazaz), then take the next vowel phoneme and reply the same.

The basics are covered, let’s now cover CCs.

Ask yourself, is this CC appearing beginning, and/or end of word.

If in beginning write as CCVCCV. If in end only then as VCCVCC. If it can occur in both beginning and end of a word then as CCVCCVCC.

For example, “st” can appear in English both beginning and the end of word like in “star” and “just”. So CC recordings for this sound will look like ”stastast”. From this, you’ll get [- CCV] [V CC] [CC V] [V CC-] of “st”.

OR

If you’re lazy to record, you can also just configure just the consonants and not vowels like [- CC] [CC] [CC -]. You can take a reference of this from for example Cz’s VCCV English and Delta’s ENG CVVC.

I recommending configuring CC only if the target language has an insane amount of CC that would take otherwise ages to record.

Good luck!

Rushur

Teto's Territory
First, list all vowel *phonemes* the language has.

Then list all single consonant sounds that language has.

And lastly check that what of those consonants can act as an ending consonant like “t” in English word “cat”.

If the language has possible consonant+consonant combinations, write them down too (e.g. “tr” in “tree” or “st” in “test”).

Ok, now you know the all phonemes and phoneme combination that you’ll need.

The easiest pattern to write reclist is CVCV(C). Put ending C if that is possible, other wise just CVCV.

For example “haha” and “kakak”. From these samples, you’ll able to get [- CV] [V C] [CV] (and [V C-] from k sample).

When all C’s are paired with “a” (babab, cacac, dadad... zazaz), then take the next vowel phoneme and reply the same.

The basics are covered, let’s now cover CCs.

Ask yourself, is this CC appearing beginning, and/or end of word.

If in beginning write as CCVCCV. If in end only then as VCCVCC. If it can occur in both beginning and end of a word then as CCVCCVCC.

For example, “st” can appear in English both beginning and the end of word like in “star” and “just”. So CC recordings for this sound will look like ”stastast”. From this, you’ll get [- CCV] [V CC] [CC V] [V CC-] of “st”.

OR

If you’re lazy to record, you can also just configure just the consonants and not vowels like [- CC] [CC] [CC -]. You can take a reference of this from for example Cz’s VCCV English and Delta’s ENG CVVC.

I recommending configuring CC only if the target language has an insane amount of CC that would take otherwise ages to record.

Good luck!

Uhm, not to be rude but, (C)V, means only vowels can be standalone, so no ending consonants. Also, I have no Idea what almost any of that means ack

EDIT: I guess cvvc was the wrong term? like vcv but like cvvc? idk im dumb

partial

UTAU English advocate
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Uhm, not to be rude but, (C)V, means only vowels can be standalone, so no ending consonants. Also, I have no Idea what almost any of that means ack

The VC half of CVVC are ending consonants/consonants that stand alone.

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

I did not understand what (C)V meaned.

You write and asked about how to write CVVC reclist, so I answered on that.

Reactions: partial

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If your conlang's syllable structure is at most a CV syllable, and at least a V syllable, then you can still apply the techniques in Yuki's post. You can simply ignore the sections that concern anything more complex such as VC, CCV, or VCC.
Much like Japanese, though, you can still include VC samples as smooth transitions between CV syllables. If you are familiar with how to use Japanese CVVC voicebanks, you can adapt this to your conlang as well. However, if you aren't, you may want to work on a simple CV reclist for your conlang while you learn how the Japanese CVVC voicebanks work.

If you're interested in writing a VCV reclist, you may want to try using this VCV reclist generator: https://github.com/adlez27/vcv-generator
Input the consonants and vowels of your conlang, set some parameters for the OTO, and it will generate a reclist and base OTO for you.