I need help choosing a new mic!

pomi

Momo's Minion
First off, I apologise if this is in the wrong section!

I'm looking for a new mic and I stumbled across the Shure PG27, AT2035 and the Samson C01U. And I'm having trouble on choosing between the three.
Something that I've noticed is that the Shure PG27 is also sold as a USB mic. I was wondering if there would be any sound/quality difference between the XLR and USB mic and if there isn't...
Is there any good reason to get the XLR version?

danlof99

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I never tried that mic but usually XLR mics are better than USB ones...
That's all I know^^

null

Teto's Territory
XLR microphones require an audio interface and cable sold separately to the mic itself. The sound quality is better than USB but it depends on your mix/preamp. USB is for a more straightforward approach whilst XLR is more professional and flexible. Think about how you'll be using it, that'll help you decide!

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
XLR are generally higher quality, but you'll need to factor an interface and cable into your budget if you want to go that route. USB is more straightforward and therefore cheaper if you can't afford an interface, cable, and the mic all at once (unless you don't mind the wait). I find ATR mics to be kind of 'muddy' sounding and the Shure PG27 is better suited to louder sound sources and will have a fair share of self noise. You'll be recording just yourself - presumably in a quiet environment - and the last thing utau needs is noise (it hates it). You might want to get the Samson C01. It seems to be a decent beginners mic for non-pro/non-studio environments. If you can, ask any users who have it to show off their utau with an acapella clyp to get an idea of the sound via utau's render with different resamplers.

Reactions: pomi

pomi

Momo's Minion
XLR are generally higher quality, but you'll need to factor an interface and cable into your budget if you want to go that route. USB is more straightforward and therefore cheaper if you can't afford an interface, cable, and the mic all at once (unless you don't mind the wait). I find ATR mics to be kind of 'muddy' sounding and the Shure PG27 is better suited to louder sound sources and will have a fair share of self noise. You'll be recording just yourself - presumably in a quiet environment - and the last thing utau needs is noise (it hates it). You might want to get the Samson C01. It seems to be a decent beginners mic for non-pro/non-studio environments. If you can, ask any users who have it to show off their utau with an acapella clyp to get an idea of the sound via utau's render with different resamplers.

Woah thank you for the info! I was thinking about getting the Behringer UMC202HD USB Audio Interface if that counts for anything,

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hello, I torment myself with audio stuff and think I might be able to help you pick a mic!

XLR is a balanced connection, meaning that it sends the signal twice (once inverted) and flips it on itself to cancel out interference. It's really useful for long cable runs and when you just want a really robust connection.
Going with an XLR mic and a separate interface will often give you more control over you selection. Where with usb you are stuck with what built into it you can get any interface and mic combo you want with xlr, also giving yourself upgrade/replacement space if something happens.
hmm....with USB mics the preamp and the mic are together in the same device...if you really think about it $80-$100 isn't a lot of money when it comes to getting anything audio related...

First off, what is your budget/price range?
Looking at the Shure PG27USB it seems like you can go around $200?
Being Shure it's going to be "decent", as a cheaper vocal mic it's going to be a tad bright but that can be EQ'd down with some finagling. Going to be a tad "undetailed". It's not exactly fantastic but it's not terrible either.

Note that you will want to get as far from your pc and sources of noise as possible and with the USB version you won't be able to do that (usb only really handles 6ft if you're lucky before the voltage drop causes issues).

If you want to go xlr you could do decent.
interface: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1102985/
I have this interface's older sibling, the UR22. It's a very well built and good interface. The drivers are fairly decent and it provides more gain that something like a scarlett solo for example.​
mic: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_B1_B1_Large_Diaphragm_Studio_Condenser.html
A well priced, good sounding mic. Pretty natural and full sounding. Comes with a shockmount too.​

additional stuff you would need:
cable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/866982-REG/Pearstone_pm_10_PM_Series_XLR_M.html
any reasonable xlr cable will do, as long as they work they will sound the same. You pay more for build quality and while this cable won't fall apart in your hand I wouldn't be too wreckless.​
stand: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755879-REG/auray_ms_5230_tripod_microphone_stand.html
Just an example stand, I recommend a floor one but you can also get a desk one if you're so inclined.
That'd run you roughly a little over $200 which can be a lot for some people just doing utau as a hobby but if you can afford it then I strongly recommend it! IF you can afford a tiny bit more then I suggest getting this stand instead...I was just trying to link the cheapest possible without linking to duct-tape and used rope lol. Same goes for this cable if you want something your can violently strangle a man to death with and then still have it in good enough condition to still record with.

Side note: the AT2035 is an overpriced version of the AT2020 and the shockmount it comes with is really crappy. Generally the cheaper Audio Technica mics are grap and I would avoid them. The AT2020/AT2035 are not LDC and have a very muffled sound.

Last edited:

pomi

Momo's Minion
Hello, I torment myself with audio stuff and think I might be able to help you pick a mic!

XLR is a balanced connection, meaning that it sends the signal twice (once inverted) and flips it on itself to cancel out interference. It's really useful for long cable runs and when you just want a really robust connection.
Going with an XLR mic and a separate interface will often give you more control over you selection. Where with usb you are stuck with what built into it you can get any interface and mic combo you want with xlr, also giving yourself upgrade/replacement space if something happens.
hmm....with USB mics the preamp and the mic are together in the same device...if you really think about it $80-$100 isn't a lot of money when it comes to getting anything audio related...

First off, what is your budget/price range?
Looking at the Shure PG27USB it seems like you can go around $200?
Being Shure it's going to be "decent", as a cheaper vocal mic it's going to be a tad bright but that can be EQ'd down with some finagling. Going to be a tad "undetailed". It's not exactly fantastic but it's not terrible either.

Note that you will want to get as far from your pc and sources of noise as possible and with the USB version you won't be able to do that (usb only really handles 6ft if you're lucky before the voltage drop causes issues).

If you want to go xlr you could do decent.
interface: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1102985/
I have this interface's older sibling, the UR22. It's a very well built and good interface. The drivers are fairly decent and it provides more gain that something like a scarlett solo for example.​
mic: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_B1_B1_Large_Diaphragm_Studio_Condenser.html
A well priced, good sounding mic. Pretty natural and full sounding. Comes with a shockmount too.​

additional stuff you would need:
cable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/866982-REG/Pearstone_pm_10_PM_Series_XLR_M.html
any reasonable xlr cable will do, as long as they work they will sound the same. You pay more for build quality and while this cable won't fall apart in your hand I wouldn't be too wreckless.​
stand: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755879-REG/auray_ms_5230_tripod_microphone_stand.html
Just an example stand, I recommend a floor one but you can also get a desk one if you're so inclined.
That'd run you roughly a little over $200 which can be a lot for some people just doing utau as a hobby but if you can afford it then I strongly recommend it! IF you can afford a tiny bit more then I suggest getting this stand instead...I was just trying to link the cheapest possible without linking to duct-tape and used rope lol. Same goes for this cable if you want something your can violently strangle a man to death with and then still have it in good enough condition to still record with.

Side note: the AT2035 is an overpriced version of the AT2020 and the shockmount it comes with is really crappy. Generally the cheaper Audio Technica mics are grap and I would avoid them. The AT2020/AT2035 are not LDC and have a very muffled sound.
So much detailed info! Thank you so much! I'll be sure to look into the Studio Projects B1 mic also thank you for the side note I'l be sure to avoid the cheaper Audio Technica mics.

xShadowxXIII

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
If you do decide to go for XLR, you could also take a look around for sets. I got my Rode NT-1A packaged with an XLR cable and "only" needed to spend some extra on a stand and audio interface.
Bringing me to the point of checking whther or not your mic would need a stand that might not be included with it.
I'm also using a Behringer UMC22, which I am more than satisfied with, if you need some user experience on audio interface.

pomi

Momo's Minion
If you do decide to go for XLR, you could also take a look around for sets. I got my Rode NT-1A packaged with an XLR cable and "only" needed to spend some extra on a stand and audio interface.
Bringing me to the point of checking whther or not your mic would need a stand that might not be included with it.
I'm also using a Behringer UMC22, which I am more than satisfied with, if you need some user experience on audio interface.
Thank you for bringing the RODE NT-1A to my attention! I've heard good things about it so I'll check it out, good to know that someone likes the Behringer UMC22 ^^

xShadowxXIII

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Thank you for bringing the RODE NT-1A to my attention! I've heard good things about it so I'll check it out, good to know that someone likes the Behringer UMC22 ^^
Rode's expensive tho.
If you aim for the setup I'm using (RODE NT-1A, Behringer UMC22, desk stand), you're 215 bucks deep
Edit:
I'm having marvelous experiences with it though. The only "noise" i have is when I am literally screaming in my 16m² room and getting echo from the space. It might also be worth noting that I invested some money in a super silent PC setup (beQuiet! case with noise isolation and beQuiet! fans), which might also play into it.
Which might also be a point: Setup area. Get a small room with little to no flat, echo-able surfaces. If not possible, grab yourself some blankets or make yourself a recording foam box like Cz uses.

pomi

Momo's Minion
Rode's expensive tho.
If you aim for the setup I'm using (RODE NT-1A, Behringer UMC22, desk stand), you're 215 bucks deep
Edit:
I'm having marvelous experiences with it though. The only "noise" i have is when I am literally screaming in my 16m² room and getting echo from the space. It might also be worth noting that I invested some money in a super silent PC setup (beQuiet! case with noise isolation and beQuiet! fans), which might also play into it.
Which might also be a point: Setup area. Get a small room with little to no flat, echo-able surfaces. If not possible, grab yourself some blankets or make yourself a recording foam box like Cz uses.
Understood thank you I think that's ok actually since I'm hoping I'll spend about 250 or below, but if I really have to 300 uwu;;

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I suggest not going to $300 for something like Utau n_n;;
Being a small hobby for most of us you might not find that jump worth it unless you were going to do something more with it.
It's up to you of course.

$250 will give you a satisfactory "beginning home/vocal studio" sound, mics are important but where you record is just as. ;-)

pomi

Momo's Minion
I suggest not going to $300 for something like Utau n_n;;
Being a small hobby for most of us you might not find that jump worth it unless you were going to do something more with it.
It's up to you of course.

$250 will give you a satisfactory "beginning home/vocal studio" sound, mics are important but where you record is just as. ;-)
//phew okok, that's good thank goodness :sing:
[doublepost=1459294927][/doublepost]Thank you everyone for your help! I'm seriously considering purchasing the Studio Porjects B1 mic, but who knows.