I'm new and confused

Vanasy

Momo's Minion
Hello! I'm Vanasy. I'm really new to Utau and how everything works.....I am so confused. I have no idea what I'm doing. Please help!

Vanasy

Momo's Minion
I decided at first top just download Teto's voice bank so that I can get use to the program before I decide to actually make anything. I followed a tutorial to try to get her to at least make sounds and when I tried to use an UST it just wasn't working. So something is up and its really frustrating,.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hello and welcome, friend~!! It's nice to meet you. You can call me Iris. ouo Most if not everybody in the fandom does.

It's okay to be a bit confused and frustrated. There could be multiple solutions to your problem ;; Maybe you're using a romaji(a, ka, tsu, mi, no) UST and Teto can only sing with a UST that's in hiragana(あ、か、つ、み、の)?

Or maybe you need to set your locale to Japanese?

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Pretty much changing your system locale is important for making UTAU work. By setting it to Japanese your computer is able to display and read the Japanese language without showing gibberish and UTAU needs it to run with as few errors and problems as possible.

What OS are you using?

Leo

oh you know
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Hey there, and welcome to Utaforum!!

UTAU needs to have your system locale set to Japanese in order to work properly. If you want to know more about what changing your locale does, you can check out this thread!

If you have Windows Vista or 7, here's a tutorial you can use. Changing the locale in Windows 8 and 8.1 is pretty much the same. Open Control Panel, on the side that says Clock, Language, And Region, click on Region. Then, click on the tab that says Administrative and then the button that says "Change System Locale...". Select Japanese from the list, and it'll ask you to restart your computer.

Vanasy

Momo's Minion
Ok so I changed the Locale thingy but theres still no sound when I use a UST. Is it the program or something?

Leo

oh you know
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
When you go to play a UST, can you tell me exactly what you do to play it?

Vanasy

Momo's Minion
Well I download it, I moved the file from the zip program thingy, to another folder and then I open it in the Utau program. Like the tutorial I watched told me.

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think they meant when you play the UST. Like are you highlighting the notes and clicking the play button?

And what UST are you using? Cause it could still be a matter of the UTAU not being able to read the notes.

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Okay, but like can you give me a specific UST, please? And the specific bank you're using.

UTAUs can only read certain notes, see? Some can only read romaji(or Japanese characters written using the Latin alphabet) or only hiragana(actual Japanese characters) or both. And I know a lot of Japanese UTAU can only do hiragana...but there's also CV and VCV which are recording styles.

I basically want to rule out it being a case of using the wrong UTAU with the wrong UST.

Vanasy

Momo's Minion
Ok so I looked for a UST specifically in hiragana and it works. How come most UST that I looked at were in romanji if most sing in hiragana?

Leo

oh you know
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Most UTAU you'll find will be able to sing in both Hiragana and Romaji! Teto looks like she's not aliased to sing romaji USTs. I'm glad you were able to figure out the issue you were having! If you need any further help with UTAU, please check out our Tutorials and Resource board or our Q&A and Tech Support board!

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
Oh my goodness, new UTAU user!! Locale and everything.

Welcome to the forums; I would suggest looking in help threads and everything before asking your own, especially since your questions have been answered many, many times before. Otherwise, welcome to the forums and the fandom!

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ok so I looked for a UST specifically in hiragana and it works. How come most UST that I looked at were in romanji if most sing in hiragana?

Glad it worked out for you! When I say "Japanese" UTAU I mean UTAU created by Japanese users in Japan like Teto and the Vippers and MACne's. Most of those UTAU only read hiragana because that's what Japanese users use so you'll have to put alias's in yourself.

Most Overseas UTAU, like the ones you'll find on this forum, can read both. And USTs can be in either romaji or hiragana. It all depends on who makes it. There are plugins out there that can be used to alias voicebanks and change USTs from romaji to hiragana or back. I'd suggest looking in the downloads and resource sections as well as trying out some Overseas banks in the Showcase section to see what I'm talking about. ouo

Good luck~!

oteto

Tetoholic
Defender of Defoko
Welcome to the UF! Lol I downloaded Teto before I used utau too! <3 Teto <3
Also that is a supercute avatar!