I'm thinking about doing commissions

Ono

Teto's Territory
But I'm not sure how much people usually charge for them. I don't want the commissions to be way over priced but at the same time, I don't want them to be under priced, y'know? I just need enough for food because college is sucking all the money out of my pocket where I literally have nothing to buy food with. So, yeah, any tips on how I should go about this?

Reactions: Xepheris

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What types of commissions are you planning on doing?? Like, lineart, full body, full illustration, headshots, etc.?

Ono

Teto's Territory
I was planning on doing chibis, headshots, head-to-hip, and fullbody. Erm, might do animated chibis too.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hmm...

Chibi - $5
Headshots - $8-$10
Torso - $12-$15
Fullbody - $15-$20

Animated chibis are a whole nother ball game cause animation...depends on what's being animated.

But those are actually close to the prices I came up with for my art haha if not identical. Obviously highly detailed characters should cost more. But if you don't like those prices my advice for you would be to come up with a minimum price and DON'T sell anything for below that price like that is your bottom line price. The style that takes the least amount of time and work gets sold for that price and go up from there. The more time and work the more expensive.

And price ranges are nice cause like...you have two commissions. Both Fullbody. One is super detailed and one is really basic like Iris basic lol Obviously Iris will be cheaper than the highly detailed character. Personally I already cut details on my chibis if it's too much cause they're meant to be small and easy to look at imo so they get a static price BUT if you want to do price ranges for chibis you can.

And sell confidently. If you don't believe your art is worth something you can't expect others to believe it either so try not to be wishy washy. If someone gets mad at you because it's "too expensive" it's because they want your art but don't have the money and that's their problem.

Reactions: Xepheris and Ono

Ono

Teto's Territory
Those sound like good prices for commissions. Especially for not-too-skilled art like mine, so I think I'll do that! I guess I should price the animated chibis the same as headshots. I don't want them to be the same price as regular chibis since they're a little more work. Also I really do hope no one complains about this being "too pricey". I've seen so many art commissions that were priced from $40 to $60, which is ridiculous. It would be reasonable if they were very, very high-quality pictures that took them weeks to finish. Anyway, thanks for the help Iris!

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've seen so many art commissions that were priced from $40 to $60, which is ridiculous. It would be reasonable if they were very, very high-quality pictures that took them weeks to finish.
generally those people are trying to get about minimum wage - if you work for 6 hours on something, that would be somewhat over 40 dollars. professional artists usually charge much higher. for instance, lineart that took an hour would be about that price, and "very, very high-quality pictures that took them weeks to finish" would probably be $400+.

it's not wrong to price your commissions lower than that, of course, but I don't think you should diss people who try to make a living off their art.

Ono

Teto's Territory
generally those people are trying to get about minimum wage - if you work for 6 hours on something, that would be somewhat over 40 dollars. professional artists usually charge much higher. for instance, lineart that took an hour would be about that price, and "very, very high-quality pictures that took them weeks to finish" would probably be $400+.

it's not wrong to price your commissions lower than that, of course, but I don't think you should diss people who try to make a living off their art.
Thanks for the info.
Btw, I wasn't dissing artists who try to make a living off their art. I was just stating my opinion on how I thought about the price range. I totally understand why they price it that way so I'm not gonna make a big deal about it.

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for the info.
Btw, I wasn't dissing artists who try to make a living off their art. I was just stating my opinion on how I thought about the price range. I totally understand why they price it that way so I'm not gonna make a big deal about it.
tHat's fair. sorry if I was HarsH, I know some people wHo are HaVing trouble witH money and are dealing witH tHis stuff a lot...

(sorry about tHe random Capitalized letters, for some reason my browser won't let me type lowerCase "C" "H" or "V")