Is letting OREMO auto-generate a CV oto a bad idea?

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
So in Oremo, you can record then have it generate an oto for you, but is it a bad idea and does it come out bad?
It's what I've been doing recently, and a lot of notes come out odd when they're short notes or something, like only saying s instead of sa

Soursop the fruit

✧ Fruity & Happy ✧
Defender of Defoko
It's ok to have generated CV, oremo do that job for you so you can save time.
But you should still check the .oto and fix errors by hand because the .oto is machine-generated.
At least you should know basic knowledge of .oto-ing to fix it 'u'

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
I felt like it could possibly be kinda buggy and not too well done rather then a hand made oto, BUT it got it done for the alpha releases at least, and I'll go over it myself before I fully release.

feloe

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i tried it once and i had more problems than success. I prefer opening the oto.ini in notepad and replacing all the commas with '0,120,0,60,90' and then eventually otoing the full bank by working through usts.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You can get great results using VCV oto generators, but always do CV by hand. CVVC is kind of an in-between place... using a generator or base OTO is good for getting aliases and rough positions, but you should still fine tune all the parameters.
Here's a CV oto guide if you've been having trouble doing it manually.
http://utaforum.net/resources/cv-otoing-guide.269/

Reactions: Nohkara

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
You can get great results using VCV oto generators, but always do CV by hand. CVVC is kind of an in-between place... using a generator or base OTO is good for getting aliases and rough positions, but you should still fine tune all the parameters.
Here's a CV oto guide if you've been having trouble doing it manually.
http://utaforum.net/resources/cv-otoing-guide.269/
Thank you so much! Honestly when I started, I would oto as I went along and added notes, but now at 154, it would take a while. Is there a quicker..but not automatic way? Or am I gonna have to grin and bare it?
I did notice than when using a ust, the notes were really choppy (aside from recording errors) so I'm pretty sure that there's an issue. Are there some people here that maybe do oto checks?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
but now at 154, it would take a while. Is there a quicker..but not automatic way? Or am I gonna have to grin and bare it?

You'll just have to get used to it, unfortunately. Less than 200 isn't that much for an UTAU bank- in fact, the average English bank has maybe 3000 or so entries for one pitch. Things like setting base parameters and aliases first can help things go a bit more quickly, since you'll only need to go between OTOs with the arrows in the OTO window instead of constantly closing and opening OTO windows for each sample.

I did notice than when using a ust, the notes were really choppy

Make sure that you clear the UST. The notes might have been set with individual preutt/overlap values that override the default OTO. To clear a UST, select all notes, then right click on one and choose "Region Properties". Hit "Clear" for Preutterance and Overlap, as well as opening the Details section and emptying the "STP" box. This will make sure that the notes use the original OTO settings. After that, reset the envelopes and crossfade them (you can use P1P4 or P2P3, same effect tbh). If you're on Mac, then you should also clear the preutterance/overlap/STP, but reset the envelopes by right clicking (or control+clicking) on any envelope point in the bottom section and selecting "Initialize". The crossfades are automatic.

Are there some people here that maybe do oto checks?

I actually do entire CV otos for free for newbies! Here's the thread: http://utaforum.net/threads/services-for-newbies.8918/
Though, in this thread, I redo the entire OTO from scratch, so I can't really give feedback on how your own is. But what I can do is give feedback on other aspects of the voicebank, like consistency of tone, pronunciation, and fixable glitches (like FRQ errors).

Reactions: Nohkara

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
Make sure that you clear the UST. The notes might have been set with individual preutt/overlap values that override the default OTO. To clear a UST, select all notes, then right click on one and choose "Region Properties". Hit "Clear" for Preutterance and Overlap, as well as opening the Details section and emptying the "STP" box. This will make sure that the notes use the original OTO settings. After that, reset the envelopes and crossfade them (you can use P1P4 or P2P3, same effect tbh). If you're on Mac, then you should also clear the preutterance/overlap/STP, but reset the envelopes by right clicking (or control+clicking) on any envelope point in the bottom section and selecting "Initialize". The crossfades are automatic.
After following this, I'm pretty sure that it's the otoing, as notes seem to be cutting out early when they're short (like ka being like a forceful k or something)
[doublepost=1507762993,1507759431][/doublepost]I'm gonna try do my own oto for now, and if it still sound pretty bad once I finish fixing any bugs/glitches that I know and finish recording all of the remaining sounds, I'll defo come to you! The reason I've been releasing the alpha was for feedback, but I haven't gotten much so yours would help so that the final release doesn't have too many sound bugs.
Anyway, thanks for the help and answers!