Is There An Alternative To Oremo?

Eternal-Aurath

Momo's Minion
I love how Oremo automatically saves each file with the right name for you, but I've found that using Oremo tends to negatively affect the quality of my samples, for some reason. Changing microphones hasn't changed this.

So are there any other programs that do what Oremo does, but without affecting my recording quality? Even if they're not meant for voicebank recording, if they do what I want, I'll check them out.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
That's a strange issue to have. Would you mind posting an audio sample comparing between the same thing recorded in OREMO and in another recording program? In both cases, the file would have to be a mono 44.1kHz 16bit WAV file, so you might want to use something like Google Drive so we can take a look at the original file.

You should also make sure that you've correctly selected your microphone in OREMO. Just because you've plugged one in doesn't guarantee that it's currently selected (for example, if I've got my bluetooth earphones and my audio interface connected at the same time, a program might default to the earphones mic instead of my XLR mic.)
In OREMO, that's under Option > Audio I/O Settings > Input Device.
oremo mic.gif

I actually have been working on an alternative to OREMO called Akorin, which you can check out here. It's work in progress, so it doesn't have all the same features that OREMO does, but you might still get some use out of it. However, I haven't had the time to work on it, and it's much lower in my priorities these days.

Finally, using a regular audio editor might still work for you, and it doesn't have to be as clunky as recording and exporting samples one at a time. Many editors have the ability to label points or regions of the recorded track, and you can then export each section as a separate file. This means you could record several lines at once with a gap between each line, label them, and batch export.
Here's how you'd do that in Audacity or an Audacity fork.

Before you start recording, make sure your settings are correct.
double check settings.gif

When you record, pause for a moment between each sample you want to record.
record multi.gif

Create a new label track from Tracks > Add New > Label Track
create label track.gif

For each of the samples you've recorded, click and drag to select that region in the label track, hit CTRL+B, then type what you want that file to be named. Make sure to select a little silence before and after the audio for ease of configuration in UTAU.
label section.gif

Once you've finished labeling everything, you can export them as separate audio files from File > Export > Export Multiple. Select your voicebank folder and make sure the file format is a 16 bit WAV file. Split files based on labels and name files using label name.
export multiple.gif

• Love
Reactions: Thehyami and Halo

[omission]

Momo's Minion
I love how Oremo automatically saves each file with the right name for you, but I've found that using Oremo tends to negatively affect the quality of my samples, for some reason. Changing microphones hasn't changed this.

So are there any other programs that do what Oremo does, but without affecting my recording quality? Even if they're not meant for voicebank recording, if they do what I want, I'll check them out.
honestly i found it easier to do it manually in audacity. i don't have oremo because the "mac version" is no longer usable for whatever reason. i just recorded every sound and then saved it as .WAV per it's name, but there isn't any other work-around i know of myself after pawing through the internet's utau knowledge ^^

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
honestly i found it easier to do it manually in audacity. i don't have oremo because the "mac version" is no longer usable for whatever reason. i just recorded every sound and then saved it as .WAV per it's name, but there isn't any other work-around i know of myself after pawing through the internet's utau knowledge ^^
The latest Mac-native version is available here: https://osdn.net/downloads/users/1/1118/oremo-mac-2.0-b110812.zip/

However, if that's not working, or if you'd like the newer features only available for Windows, you have a few options for how you can run the Windows version, which you can download here: https://osdn.net/downloads/users/23/23290/oremo-english-3.0-b190106.zip/
  1. Using a compatibility layer, such as Wine, Wineskin, or Crossover
  2. Using a Windows virtual machine, such as with Parallels or VirtualBox
  3. Dual booting Windows on your computer with Boot Camp

If you're still more comfortable using Audacity, I recommend scrolling up in this thread and taking a look at my guide for how to use label tracks to record and export multiple samples at once.

Reactions: Halo

Eternal-Aurath

Momo's Minion
@Kiyoteru Yeah, I have my audio settings done right in Oremo, I just always wind up with more background "fuzz" or "buzz" compared to things recorded directly in Audacity. I use Audacity's noise-removal tool regardless of what program I record in, and even then then extra buzz in the Oremo samples is obvious.

I can try to upload some samples, I don't use my old banks as much anymore lol I wish I still had the experimental VCCV I recorded, cause it was super obvious there lol

But I downloaded your Akorin program, and it looks really promising! Next time I have a chance to record, I'll use it and see how I like it.

LackingNeurotoxin

Momo's Minion
The latest Mac-native version is available here: https://osdn.net/downloads/users/1/1118/oremo-mac-2.0-b110812.zip/

However, if that's not working, or if you'd like the newer features only available for Windows, you have a few options for how you can run the Windows version, which you can download here: https://osdn.net/downloads/users/23/23290/oremo-english-3.0-b190106.zip/
  1. Using a compatibility layer, such as Wine, Wineskin, or Crossover
  2. Using a Windows virtual machine, such as with Parallels or VirtualBox
  3. Dual booting Windows on your computer with Boot Camp

If you're still more comfortable using Audacity, I recommend scrolling up in this thread and taking a look at my guide for how to use label tracks to record and export multiple samples at once.
hello this may be a little late but the osdn.net site always shows me its a bad gateway and i cant open the site? I tried the Oremo Native Mac version you posted back in 2017 i believe and it says that the app needs to be updated so i really dont know what to do now

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There's now a new voicebank recording tool under development called RecStar, made by sdercolin (same developer as vLabeler). However, it's currently in alpha release only, so you should make sure to report all of the bugs you find.