• Harder

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • About the same

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

LilyoftheValley

Your local flower girl
Defender of Defoko
So I've been wanting to buy a Vocaloid for the longest time. But I was wondering if Vocaloid was harder or easier than UTAU. I've heard that Vocaloid is easier, is this true? What are the similarities? What are the differences?
Every Vocaloid is different, so what are your recommendations for beginners? (English and Japanese banks)
I want to know your opinions, because I have no idea :P

Reactions: Piia

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Vocaloid is easier in some ways. Now, I've only used the V2 engine, so I can't speak for any others, but, in general, Vocaloid seems a lot more straightforward in how to input the lyrics and edit the sound quality. Also, multitrack is nice.

The main difference I say is that UTAU is a lot more manual, but I actually prefer the UTAU pianoroll to the Vocaloid one. Other than the lack of multitrack and the solid rests, it is a lot easier to draw notes and edit them while keeping the timing correct.

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
It depends...

For me VOCALOID is easier in these subjects:

1-Cleaner Interface
2-Way easier note inouting, resizing and moving.
3-Keyboard shortcuts are almost the same as most of other programs.
4-When buying a VB the quality is guaranteed. But there are exceptions as always.
5-Easier lyric inputting and also allows you to easily edit the phonems of the notes.

At the same time VOCALOID is harder (for me) when:

1-Tuning is more complicated in VOCALOID. UTAU"s pitching interface and the pitching settibg uo itself is way easier (and maybe, even better.)
2-The settings for dynamics, pitch, etc are sensible...
3-Getting plugins...Some work, some doesnt...Some are paid...

So I guess that is all I can remember for now. As both UTAU and VOCALOID user...I'd say UTAU is way easier to understand and get used to. It took me until this year to get VOCALOID tuning correctly. I have IA, GUMI and KAITO VBs of V3, and the V4 editor: tho the interface is ckeaner than UTAU's the program itself is complicated...

Well, this is all based on personal experiences. Maybe other peoole feel the other way around XD

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
It depends...

For me VOCALOID is easier in these subjects:

1-Cleaner Interface
2-Way easier note inouting, resizing and moving.
3-Keyboard shortcuts are almost the same as most of other programs.
4-When buying a VB the quality is guaranteed. But there are exceptions as always.
5-Easier lyric inputting and also allows you to easily edit the phonems of the notes.

At the same time VOCALOID is harder (for me) when:

1-Tuning is more complicated in VOCALOID. UTAU"s pitching interface and the pitching settibg uo itself is way easier (and maybe, even better.)
2-The settings for dynamics, pitch, etc are sensible...
3-Getting plugins...Some work, some doesnt...Some are paid...

I'd have to agree on some points.
I think if you have you been using utau for a long time, Vocaloid is going to be harder.

The dynamic settings are extremely sensitive (at least to me) especially if you decide you want to draw out pitch bends/ other things instead of using the straight line tool. But with that, there is always piapro studio which to my knowledge, lets you add pitch bends like utau(?)

Some plugins work and some don't, I agree.
But on the bright side, I think it's easier to time vocals to off vocals since you can mix and import audio into the program.
Honestly the only thing that bugs me in Vocaloid, aside from some vibrato not being audible on notes, is notes overlapping each other, which can be fixed with a job plugin or even quantizing(hope i spelled that right) your notes
But sometimes that doesn't even work for me personally, so that's a bit frustrating for me

But my final answer is, yes, for me it's harder but it's easy to get the hand of.

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Kuro Cure

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I certainly think that VOCALOID is harder! There are a lot of factors that go into tuning a vocaloid; more than in UTAU. This makes tuning more malleable but at the same time, it's not as easy as you would think

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So I recently got Vocaloid 4 and did some testing. The vocaloid system definitely takes some of the effort out of writing the lyrics, however, some of its automaticness and lack of manual control actually end up being detrimental to getting good sounding results. I had similar issues with alter/ego.

The main thing that got me was how notes blend together, meaning that in some cases if you want to make a note shorter, you can't, because the engine will automatically stretch it out to acheive the "blending". I don't know if that can be turned off actually so thats could just be nonsense on my part.

Automation is also rather tedious, especially when it comes to pitch bends. It doesn't use control points like most audio software, instead going for a freely-drawn method that can't be copied and pasted afaik.

So whether it's "easier" or not just depends on whether you really like the classic Vocaloid sound of poorly imitated human singing. Although I have found that being more creative with the phonemes themselves alleviates that somewhat.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Disclaimer: sorry if this comes across scatter brained or is TL;DR, but it's hard to really answer this question without writing an essay of sorts.

Ease of use is very much dependent on several factors:

- Version: from hardest to easiest as far as Vocaloid... V1 is hardest. Using it is probably more similar to using UTAU. You have your piano roll, you have your voice, you have your parameters... That's it. V2, V3, and V4 have similar levels of difficulty unless you factor in Growl/Evec/XSyn, in which case V3 is easier than V4. V2 works similarly to V3, but iirc, lacks the ability to input bgm (it does rewire to most daws, however). Vocaloid is a program unto itself that doesn't need 3rd party program support outside of making original instrumentals. It supports multiple tracks unless you're talking about V3 TinyEditor (you only have 1 track and 17 bars to work with). I would say the hardest part about Vocaloid is the way parameters are edited by drawing - not too user friendly if you don't have a graphic tablet or optical mouse. Input is easy since it's practically free of restraints.

UTAU works mostly the same regardless of version, albeit there are more bugs in earlier versions. Shareware has a few more native features than free (plugins, however has made this a moot point if you're willing to do more clicks). UTAU relies more on 3rd party software: either make a vsqx in vocaloid, export as vsq via plugin, import to UTAU and edit from there; OR use a daw capable of creating and exporting midi. It's possible to not use 3rd party programs to make a ust, but it's much more difficult depending on whether you're on PC or Mac. PC-UTAU is crippled by rest notes, but UTAU-Synth is crippled by lack of options (no resamplers outside of default, no plugins). Both suffer from lack of bgm import and neither are capable of rewiring to a daw. PC-UTAU lacks multi-track (UTAU-Synth has this, but it's not perfect). UTAU is made for mouse/trackpad users in mind, so you don't have to draw parameters. It's slower, but more precise.

- Voice is a factor of difficulty. Vocaloid is proprietary, goes through QA/QC (not 100% always *cough*Sonika*cough*Rin and Len ACT1*cough*), is generally recorded in a professional environment with professional singers (again, exceptions exist, such as Sonika, Ruby, Dex, Daina). Desired output sans edits will - theoretically - be less tedious. UTAU users are grass-root; they don't have studio budgets, so quality is very much a crap shoot depending on an individual's budget as well as skill. Getting a HQ result will be - theoretically - more arduous. That said, while Vocaloid's raw output is higher quality, the bugs that come with a voice can only be worked around, not fixed by the end user. UTAU allows the user to go into the configuration of any given voice, pinpoint the problem, and fix it - if possible. A vocaloid voice receiving an update depends on whether or not it makes its money back in profits and sometimes the voicer simply can't record new samples due to aging (Yuki, Oliver), unavailability for one reason or another, timbre differences that are undesirable, or the engine not being capable of desired results (some voices get scrapped or delayed). UTAU voices can be updated at any time as long as the user has the equivalent recording equipment or better, time, can reproduce desired results, and can keep their voicebank online (we've all heard it once or twice: a voicebank isn't released because the user didn't upload it to a cloud service/save it to an external device and their machine crashed... or mediafire/4shared/axfc deleted it...).

- Language: Japanese is the easiest language for synths to reproduce (but you need to actually know the language if you want to be more than a cover artist). English is the hardest. Korean is about the same difficulty as Japanese. Chinese is a little harder. Spanish is in the middle.

UTAU English is more convoluted than Vocaloid English: you're dependent on the oto: cvvc or its more complex cousin vccv, it's aliasing scheme: cz, arpabet, or x-sampa. Ust creation is more complex because it's based on phonemes rather than actual words. Vocaloid: just type in a word and if it's not working, then either break it into 2 syllables or edit the dictionary/phonemes.
ex. the word 'winters' [- wi] [i n] [t3] [3z] vs [win] [terse]
The same can be said for Romance Languages. UTAU is more difficult. Because UTAU is more broken up, it does allow for more control over results.

Japanese is the same regardless of software: use either romaji or hiragana. UTAU however, has 3 ways of putting in notation depending on the bank: CV, VCV, or CVVC. Use the wrong one, and a voice doesn't play - a VCV bank configured for all 3 styles with romaji and hiragana eliminates this, but you can't expect that all voicers will create VCV and configure for every possible situation. Vocaloid can be put in the same way as CV and you'll get a result, regardless of the voice.

Chinese: pinyin; idk if Vocaloid can read pinyin accent marks, but UTAU doesn't, so alias workarounds are required for certain sounds such as the vowels a, i, e, or u. I'm also not sure if Vocaloid reads Hanzi, but I know UTAU can utilize a few Kanji (Idk enough Japanese to be certain if all Kanji can be used).

Korean: SeeU (and presumably UNI) only read Hangeul for their Korean libraries. It's not like Japanese where you type using an English keyboard. Ka = か in Japanese, but those same letters translate to ㅏㅁ (a + m = it's unusable as is without the placeholder consonant ㅇ). Ka in Korean requires typing rk/Rk depending on plain or tense or zk if aspirated - this is with an American keyboard with Hangeul input, mind. UTAU requires romaja for this language and there's NK and SK standards which can be confusing or need aliasing workarounds. ex. ㄱ can be romanized 2 different ways: k or g for plain ㄱ, but k is also used for aspirated k/ㅋ. Tense k is written as kk or ㄲ. The reason for 2 romanizations for plain ㄱ is because it (along with other consonants that aren't N/M/NG) has morphological difference depending on placement within a word/phrase.

To answer the question for what voicebanks are "easy..."

- English:
V4 voices are generally clear and understandable without subtitles (though YMMV), but they have less expression as a result. They'll require more parameter edits to not sound monotone.
V3 voices have more expression, but can lack clarity either due to accent or softness - Macne Nana ENG, Miku V3 ENG, Oliver, Avanna... they're not very clear to me - or at least require a second listen, but I can usually understand Yohioloid and Gumi ENG just fine.
V2 voices can be easy to use... if you stick to their intended genres. Almost all of them are specialized for a particular genre, so use outside of that can be awkward.
V1 voices aren't very clear due to the engine, but they're still considered among the best voices in Vocaloid due to the way they were programmed and the fact that their voices aren't based purely on sampling. They'll be harder to use due to the engine UI and aren't officially compatible with systems newer than Windows XP (so crashing is more likely).

Voices that can be easy for beginners (for voices that have trials, use them first before making a decision - note, this is not based on personal usage):
English: Dex, Daina, Avanna (more specialized for folk and Celtic), Yohioloid, Sweet Ann, Miriam.
English voices to avoid: Sonika (LQ and glitchy), Tonio and Prima (highly specialized for opera), any Japanese to English voice sans GUMI ENG - unless you actually want a heavier Japanese accent that's present in most of the current lineup.
Tossup: Cyber Diva and Ruby - if you want nasal, you'll get it with these 2. Depending on who you ask, Ruby is harder to control and gets pitchy. Oliver is specialized for choir and is very British... hard to say whether he's a suitable beginner's voice.

Japanese: Generally any Cryptonloid that isn't Rin/Len ACT1 or ACT2. They're voice acted, but that makes them more malleable to different genres and they hold pitch well. Internet Co, 1st Place, and AHS have more realistic voices if you don't want voice acted vocals and are generally well done without many complaints concerning usage (the exception to this would be Lily and Miki).
Japanese voices to avoid: Rin and Len V2 era, Luka (V2 English had a lot missing and V4x... the less said about that, the better), Gacha... unless you like this kind of voice? It's hard to pinpoint V3 voices because a lot of them became quite generic and same-y.

Because there's so many to choose from, I say perhaps go against the grain of getting the most popular voice and getting something that could use a little more appreciation such as Mew, Mayu, Sachiko, Chika, Tone Rion, Rana, any male regardless of language - this is of course down to your preferences and your plans for music creation.

chunter

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Since most if you went there already, I'll summarize: Vocaloid is easier to just get started on, UTAU offers more control.

I started with AquesTone, then UTAU, then Vocaloid... I don't recommend that path.

Reactions: Kiyoteru and Buck
P

partial

Vocaloid is essentially as challenging as UTAU is.

For me, Vocaloid is my go-to synthesizer, so it's easy for me to use. I've been at it for 4, almost 5 years.
UTAU is also pretty easy though.

The major downfall of Vocaloid is the parameters below. If Vocaloid had an option to manipulate pitchbends on the note the way Sharpkey does, Vocaloid would absolutely be the ruling synth, imo.