[Issue Fixed] Phantom Voicebank issue

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
So this is a very strange issue I just ran into.
I was going to select Yuri Tamaki's voicebank to use when I saw two copies of the voicebank in Utau's voicebank list. I checked the voice folder, only had one copy of the vb, and so I removed it from that folder. There is still a copy of Yuri's vb listed in the vb list. I can select it to use and it still show the vb's oto in voicebank settings, but it's not a voicebank. I've tried restarting my computer and running a file cleaner, but neither have worked.
I've reinstalled Utau, haven't added any voicebanks to the voice folder, and am still having the same issue unless I run Utau as an admin. Now that the voice folder is empty(except for Defoko's vb), I can see that two more voicebanks are showing up in the list.

I don't understand what the issue is. I guess I can just run Utau in admin mode, but I've never had this problem up until now and I don't want to use Utau if it's having issues. Any solutions?

edit: The reinstalled copy of Utau still shows the importvsqx plugin that I installed, the Utaucolors theme that I put on, and my shareware license. I find this odd.

Viran

ヴィラン
Defender of Defoko
There might be two voice folders tho take it with a grain of salt
Let's say you have your main UTAU folder on your desktop, but there might be another one at Program Files
Search whether you have a folder called UTAU at Program Files, if yes then check if it has a "voice" folder, then open your main folder and check if it has a "voice" folder
It might be that you have two seperate voice folders with different VBs in it
I hope that's the case

Reactions: WyndReed

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
There might be two voice folders tho take it with a grain of salt
Let's say you have your main UTAU folder on your desktop, but there might be another one at Program Files
Search whether you have a folder called UTAU at Program Files, if yes then check if it has a "voice" folder, then open your main folder and check if it has a "voice" folder
It might be that you have two seperate voice folders with different VBs in it
I hope that's the case
I wish it were the case. I have Utau installed in program files and the only vb there at the moment is Defoko. Thanks for the help though.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
UTAU stores and reads voicebanks from two locations by default.

The main one everyone knows about is the 'voice' folder in the installation folder for UTAU, wherever that may be. You said that you reinstalled UTAU and you haven't added anything so the only bank would be Defoko by default.

The second is the AppData folder for voicebanks installed via automatic zip installation or by UAR method (which is just a fancy zip installation). This should be removed when the program is uninstalled but you know, Windows is a funny thing. I haven't used Windows in quite a long while but I believe the directory should be:
Code:
%APPDATA%\UTAU
Typing this into Explorer would open the user specific save point for UTAU where it would save any custom settings for different parts of the program (most of the time), plugins, and voicebanks that are added using the above method. There should be a voice folder there and it will contain any banks that would be recognised by the program.

If it isn't there (which would turn out to be really weird lol) the only other place UTAU is allowed to find voicebanks from is the manually added under Tools (T) -> Options (O) -> Bank Regist. The settings for this is usually wiped but if some reason it wasn't, this should be the last place that banks are shown in the voice list.

EDIT

I just noticed your edit at the bottom of the post lol. If what you described is what I think it is, it would be under the AppData directory.

EDIT 2

Someone pointed out to be that UTAU also stores data in the VirtualStore directory (thanks Windows...) which may be your issue since Windows sometimes doesn't delete those settings after a program is uninstalled... (ugh)

The VirtualStore is where programs save settings and the like when it cannot directly modify the Program Files directly (mostly everything that's not an update lol) and sometimes, a program might not be set up to remove the virtual directory when it is uninstalled and it ends up staying there.

Depending if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit, the directory for UTAU will change.
For 32-bit:
Code:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\UTAU
for 64-bit:
Code:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\UTAU

If the bank isn't under the Roaming side, it would be here.

Last edited:

Yanderu

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
This is what I've noticed using UTAU PC, there's a certain polder called roaming for what I call auto-install VB's such as Teto's. If you lookexample.PNG ecxamp.PNGthe first image contains's Teto's VBs but the second doesn't. I theorize that the phantom voicebanks are just old cache files or some you installed, however, I learned to overcome this by preloading defoko or any other voicebank within UTAU's voice folder, pressing the "..." button, then going back to where all the VB's are (voice folder) then they looking for the phantom ones and deleting them.

Reactions: WyndReed

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
UTAU stores and reads voicebanks from two locations by default.

The main one everyone knows about is the 'voice' folder in the installation folder for UTAU, wherever that may be. You said that you reinstalled UTAU and you haven't added anything so the only bank would be Defoko by default.

The second is the AppData folder for voicebanks installed via automatic zip installation or by UAR method (which is just a fancy zip installation). This should be removed when the program is uninstalled but you know, Windows is a funny thing. I haven't used Windows in quite a long while but I believe the directory should be:
Code:
%APPDATA%\UTAU
Typing this into Explorer would open the user specific save point for UTAU where it would save any custom settings for different parts of the program (most of the time), plugins, and voicebanks that are added using the above method. There should be a voice folder there and it will contain any banks that would be recognised by the program.

If it isn't there (which would turn out to be really weird lol) the only other place UTAU is allowed to find voicebanks from is the manually added under Tools (T) -> Options (O) -> Bank Regist. The settings for this is usually wiped but if some reason it wasn't, this should be the last place that banks are shown in the voice list.

EDIT

I just noticed your edit at the bottom of the post lol. If what you described is what I think it is, it would be under the AppData directory.

EDIT 2

Someone pointed out to be that UTAU also stores data in the VirtualStore directory (thanks Windows...) which may be your issue since Windows sometimes doesn't delete those settings after a program is uninstalled... (ugh)

The VirtualStore is where programs save settings and the like when it cannot directly modify the Program Files directly (mostly everything that's not an update lol) and sometimes, a program might not be set up to remove the virtual directory when it is uninstalled and it ends up staying there.

Depending if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit, the directory for UTAU will change.
For 32-bit:
Code:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\UTAU
for 64-bit:
Code:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\UTAU

If the bank isn't under the Roaming side, it would be here.
This is what I've noticed using UTAU PC, there's a certain polder called roaming for what I call auto-install VB's such as Teto's. If you lookView attachment 7461 View attachment 7462the first image contains's Teto's VBs but the second doesn't. I theorize that the phantom voicebanks are just old cache files or some you installed, however, I learned to overcome this by preloading defoko or any other voicebank within UTAU's voice folder, pressing the "..." button, then going back to where all the VB's are (voice folder) then they looking for the phantom ones and deleting them.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I tried looking in AppData\Roaming first (didn't find anything there) and then looked under VirtualStore, finding the phantom records there. It seems that windows is a butt and has been hiding my utaucolors settings there too.(no wonder I haven't been able to get manually changing colors to work. lol)
It looks like my problem is solved now. Thanks for all of the help!

Last edited: