Just how shy are you?

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
(This doesn't pertain 100% to UTAU so I put it here)

Hey guys I'm just curious...how shy are all of you? If at all. And if you are super shy how do you overcome it?
Do you have problems talking to new people IRL and the internet or is one situation more shy inducing for you than another? Like are you more chill online than you are in real life?

Your IrisFlower wants to know~

willowispembers

Ruko's Ruffians
Very. Very very shy. xD It's a bit easier online though, since I don't have to talk to people face to face I guess... But it's still really bad... ;; Online and off I always feel like I'm bothering someone when I want to tell them something or ask them about something... So I usually don't really say much unless I know them a bit, and even then I second guess myself with what I want to say... I absolutely love meeting new people, but I feel uncomfortable talking to someone I don't know all that well either... I hate it.

I think I've gotten a bit better though... Though still I need to work hard...
And online too, somewhat pertaining to UTAU there also language barrier... That makes it a lot harder to communicate with others and makes me more nervous in wanting to talk with someone, since I'm unsure of how they'll interpret it... ;;

Like I feel like I need to just deal with it an move on and just try... But at the same time I can't... If that makes any sense... ;; Sorry I'm kinda rambling a bit at this point... ^^;

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Willowispembers just summed up what I wanted to say.

I'm really shy in real life and it makes it hard for me to meet new people and make more friends. It sometimes gets so bad that I tend to stutter when talking to people I don't know. I have no idea how this became a habit of mine, but I'm trying hard to break it. I can only be truly comfortable and talkative when it's with people I know well.

The same can be applied online, but it's easier for me to talk here. I don't talk face-to-face and I don't have a stuttering problem so you can actually get what I'm saying. It's still hard for me to make new friends though. I still have problems going up to a user and going "Hey, how's it going?" and becoming friends with them. I tend to gravitate towards people on here who are willing to talk to me the most. I also have trouble asking for requests from people. It feels like I'm bothering them and wasting their time. Even if they go, "Does anyone want me to draw their UTAU?" I say nothing and move on because of that 'wasting people's time' mentality I have. How I came to be friends with some of you is a mystery to me.

aplusod

Teto's Territory
(Okay, so I can totally see how someone might be like "If you're shy, why/how do you post about yourself?" thing. As far as it goes for me, I'm just kinda getting myself out... Uh... And it's usually easier for me to post online than talk irl. Not that I'm any good with posting online. Except Twitter. And I'll shut up and close the parenthesis now.)

I don't really know where I fall on the whole shyness level thing. I like to think of myself as more so introverted and/or socially awkward rather than shy, although I'm pretty sure it's some weird combo of them all.
For me, it's a lot harder in real life, although mostly because a lot of people in my school/area are really kinda stupid/foolish (Deska can attest to this, we go to the same school =w=b ). Even so, I haven't really gotten to know many people in my high school life. And of those I've at least introduced myself to (usually out of circumstantial meetings; projects, teacher-induced icebreakers, etc.), I barely talk to them. Actually, I'm just no good at talking to people in general. Be it online or via text message, I usually just totally blank out on what to say and never respond. OTL
I'm already really different from most people around me irl. Besides being into anime and VOCALOID and UTAU and such (the anime fans in our school aren't the greatest selection. There's Deska and ON and another kid or two I can stand, but after that they really give a bad name to our club), I don't pay much attention to appearance or take part in the rumor mill. I can barely stand group projects, let alone go to some school dance. I barely survive spirit week each year. I read somewhere between two and ten books a month, depending on the size and story of the book. I'd love to be a novelist one day too. Most people at school, even one of my dearest friends, they can't really take what I do (AP art, writing, reading, etc) seriously, so I've stopped talking about it with them. And then I find I've nothing to talk about with most people. So then I gained a bit of a reputation for being that weird kid who sits away from everyone and reads and doesn't talk to anyone. (I'm an utter failure at talking to people irl. When I can't think of anything to say, which happens about ninety percent of the time, I just don't say anything at all, and then the person leaves and I never speak to them again.)
I find it easier to talk online with people, since I don't know anyone. It seems to be easier to throw myself out there into the masses of random strangers than it does with people I've sorta grown up with. Especially on Twitter, 'cause I don't expect anyone to read or respond to my tweets. Although, I still have problems forcing myself to hit "post" in any post I make. This is my third time re-writing this post.
I guess I've gotten better with it since my freshman year. I didn't have too many problems before that, I don't believe. Freshman year was pretty bad for me. Didn't really meet anyone new until an old classmate kidnapped my belongings and pretty much forced me to follow her to a group of really nice people I had no idea existed (near the end of the school year). (But then they all graduated and I haven't heard from them since.)
So eventually, I guess I forced myself to start talking to people. I still freeze up when someone asks me something and I'm expected to answer almost immediately, and I still can't stand being in crowds either. Sure, I've still a ways to go, and I'll never be a social butterfly (I hate butterflies anyways, haha), but I'm a lot more comfortable with people in general lately.
And even here, I've been watching the fandom grow for about two years now. Many people seem very nice, and I can tell who I might get along with and who I'd want to shoot in the end. Still, it's much easier for me to leave a post here or there and call it a day. I like to think I've gotten better in forums too. Hell, when I started out, I could barely say "thanks" to anyone. And at least I can sort of kind of almost not really do that now. I guess I've learned to take risks like this.
And I'll shut up now because it's one AM and I need to be up at six.

tl;dr
I'm no good talking to people. I do better online. It's still not very good. But I'm at a point where I'm comfortable just watching most of the time. And I've gotten better with it. And I'm terrified of hitting the post button but I'm going to do it anyways because I'm tired and want to get this over with and feel comfortable enough with the fandom to post this even though I'll want to change it later and by the way run on sentences are kinda fun. Have I mentioned I'm also not good at coming up with ending lines?

Rai

Teto's Territory
I'm still quite shy irl - not as much as I was before and it's much worse around females. Umm usually I just talk as little as possible unless they're friends or I'm interested in making friends with them.

Online, it's much better. Typing is so much easier than talking. Of course, being online allows me to derp a lot so...yeah =/ With new people online I try my best to be friendly.

Er...so all in all, offline - shy, especially around girls, online - not as shy, sometimes lapse into chatty/derpy mode.

Myon

Momo's Minion
Not very. I unno, I guess I'm adventurous because I'm always more than willing
to step out of ye olde comfort zone. I'm extremely extroverted and enigmatic at the same time??
I haven't a clue as to how that is possible. But people I've made friends with say although I'm
the one who is the most lively/speaks the most in a group, I don't make a lot known about myself for whatever reason.

Striking conversation is easy in real life, cause gestures and facial expressions and stuff.
But online, I never know if I'm rubbing someone the wrong way or something. Because it's all just text and emoticons.

Iscabird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'm so shy that I don't even talk to my own family that often. Despite living under the same roof.

Actually sometimes if my sister and I are doing things in the same room we'll talk about casual topics and stuff. I'm more of a listening type of person anyway. I tend to wait for someone to approach me first before I introduce myself maybe people assume that I'm just another pretty face in the crowd xD actually I'm eye-meltingly hideous.

Online... I'm still shy, but the way the internet works gives me the room to say more than I do in real life. And I suppose that gives the illusion of sociability...? I doubt that's even a word, but I think you know what I mean.

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm incredibly shy with people I don't know, online and off.  I can be ridiculously shy about people I respect in the fandom, especially.  I just like... I get really nervous.  IRL, I don't really initiate conversation, though that's pretty true online too.

Once you start a conversation and I get comfortable, I'll ramble and chat all day.  I'm better online because I get more time to think between words; I'm better offline because body language and tone.  So, meh.

However, you will find me to be disturbingly open about myself if I'm even slightly comfortable with you :uhuhu: and I'm brutally, ridiculously honest with people even if I'm not.  *shrug*

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Sickily shy

At the rate even when I see some people I like (some Overseas friends or Sensei) I go so effin nervous that my heart beats as much as if I was having a celebrity in front of me <_>

I don't dare to launch a conversation except if I announce something or feel enough confident to do it

I blush awfully and easily >.<"' (and palish easily when from timidity it leads to fear)

It took me time before I manage to look at somebody directly in the eyes (and even during random moments, I need to fix a point close to this person's face or her forehead, otherwise I'll look again at my hands or the floor :fffff: )

I've sometimes the fear that the topic I'm going to talk about will be terribly useless, or boring or I'll make it sound like...

Talking to new people is a bit embarassing because I am feard to tell my name or few others stuffs, due to what happend to me because of it

Strangely, despite being more anxious about men/boys than girls, I talk to guys easier than girls o_o"'

I got worse than this, but still... Even now I am rather shy and introvert, due to my fears

To overcome it, I imagine myself in my OC's shoes but there are times where it's not enough effective orz

I guess I told everything... Anyway, I can still add but in a nutshell, that's how much I am shy x_x

CHAOSinDaHaUs

Teto's Territory
OMG im incredibly shy....IRL I can't open my mouth and tell them the truth or even ask them for stuff cuz i feel like im bothering ppl and it kinda the same on here but i can tell ppl the truth on here -_- and it doesn't help when someone is being rude to me because i go deeper into my shell....

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Rai link said:
Er...so all in all, offline - shy, especially around girls.
I'm sorry but that is absolutely adorable :love: If I were cruel I'd forever tease you about that but since I'm not I'm just gonna leave you alone about it save for this moment rofl -pinches your cheeks-

Wow guys, that's a lot of shyness. Although I have no room to talk. Offline I can be shy about the simplest things but in my field of study that's something I've learned to overcome real quick cause you gotta get up in front of the class and explain your work whether you like it or not XD And when I graduate I'll be showcasing my work to millions of people, some who will hopefully offer me a job, so yep...shy me has got to stay home uwu

I dunno...I guess I just give myself a quick mental pep talk along the lines of, "Everyone else can do it so can you! Be brave woman!" and then it's like I just do it. -nod- Public Speaking class...I was actually the most outspoken person there XD The only person capable of speaking in front of the class without hiding behind her notes or fidgeting.

Err anyway...online I feel like I'm much more out there and open with people and more prone to making friends. I also tend to stick my nose into other peoples business, something I refuse to do IRL believe it or not lol I believe this is all the side effect of having Iris as my UTAU cause when I write about her or roleplay as her it doesn't make sense that she'd be shy unless she's around someone she has a crush on, actually even then she can be quite cheerful and friendly unless said crush does something that makes her feel embarrassed. Then she clams up and is all cute and adorably blushy.

So I guess portraying such a happy character has taught me to be more open XD Moreso online than offline but I dunno...I think I'm getting better at social interactions IRL too~ Slowly but surely.

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
:blink: Shy? Um, let's see...
I really don't talk to other people irl much. People might call me shy, but really, I just don't know what to say.
I can carry a conversation, it's just that inside...I'm really nervous about what to say next.
If I have an opinion, I usually don't say it.

...Maybe I'm more...reserved than shy...?

I mean, I can't relate to people irl much. At home, I'm all crazy, because at least my family knows me. I'm also a bit silly with my two friends. And on the internet? Hey, there's ton of people who like anime and stuff, and they don't know me, so I can be as wacky as I want to be. 8D

But sometimes....I get those shy moments...
I'm trying to change myself and talk a little bit more...

((Why is Toeto playing in my mind...?))

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I think it depends on the type of people I'm with ^^;

In real life, you could sort of...okay for lack of a better comparison, think Luka in Toeto xD;; Not exactly like that, but whenever I meet new people, it's hard for me to actually say hi. In Freshman year of my school, some of my (now friends) classmates thought I was vicious or going to hurt them cause I apparently gave everyone this 'look' xD But that's just how I look when I'm nervous eue;

Online, I dunno what it is, but I'm able to talk more frankly here than in real life xD I'm an introvert, but when I get online I feel okay to speak. Unless, I feel like my opinion won't be respected someplace, you know ouo

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Like many that have come before me, I am rather timid in real life unless I get to know people. I can be talkative, but it seems that not many want to hear what I have to say. I end up talking to myself mostly. However, around those that do want to hear what I have to say, I can talk freely. I end up scaring a lot of people off because I have been told I am an intellectual. (I test as an INTP.) I can speak here on this forum a lot since I have similar interests as many people.

Angel

Momo's Minion
Well =o= (Storytimes)

Online, I feel more able to talk with you people. Very easy. =w=
The people here are nice so I get really happy when we guys talk about stuff!

IRL.. it depends. With friends, I tend to be very hyper, and pinch their cheeks (^o^) and have fun. But with others, sometimes I wish to say something, but it gets all messed up, and I feel I hurt their feelings with it, but then I want to, but I can't and when I do... it gets very bad..
TT^TT
Also professional eavesdropper because I'm 'socailly awkward' my friends say...

Kanjo

Momo's Minion
well, if it's online, not at all, when i'm on the internet i fell LIKE I'M ON A MOUNTAIN TOP O3O

but, in real life, i don't talk to people unless they talk to me first, or i notice something i'm interested in. if i'm friends with said person, i tend to act like i do online o3o, and i tend to get nervous to talk to certain girls (certain girls that i know a bit well, i'm fine, but if i haven't ever had an elaborate conversation with said girl, i'm gonna avoid em)

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
I feel intimidated by people I don't really know, but after I talk to them a little while I'm okay.
Sometimes.

SometimesQuite often in recent years I've had difficulty talking to people because they act like they don't want to talk to me, or decide they hate me before I've even said anything. I don't get why :/
That's contributed to me being generally shy and wanting to go unnoticed. Apparently I'm friendly enough for people to know my name, though.
/not-trying-to-have-an-oh-woe-is-me-moment

Even around IRL friends, I find I can be a little shy or awkward (for the most part, not shy).
Online, I feel like I can be myself.

I think I made myself sound more shy than I am, but that's the best I can explain it.

SakisCookie

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Online, I'm a complete nut job. I babble for hours about pointless things. ouo

In real life...I'm so shy that I failed Algebra 2 because I was too nervous to even TALK to my teacher to get help. I thought he would think I was stupid. ono
I also can't call people I don't know. I refuse to. Whenever I absolutely have to, like to call a computer helpline or something, I stutter. Really bad. >3<

Fawkesy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Online I'm not shy at all, because I have time to think about what I'm going to say, and plan it out so I don't seem like a complete idiot.
In real life, I'm super shy. Only my family members and close friends can get a decent conversation out of me. xD

Dorielf

Momo's Minion
I used to be shy, but now I'm on pills for that. ;D

I'm still pretty shy. Actually, moreso online now than irl. I guess cause I can't really tell if people are mad at me easily online. Unless they use all caps.