Keep finding the letter W and other letters inside a ust

katsushi

Momo's Minion
I'm trying to cover a song so I downloaded a UST and it sounds pretty nice! My issue is that certain notes will have a 'W' attached to the end of it (https://puu.sh/EMqu7/8588ab38ff.png), I'm not sure what the purpose of it is, but my UTAU wont sing any of the notes that have a 'W' at the end. If you look closely there's also certain notes that are just the letter 'o', sometimes with a dash before it, and sometimes with that pesky 'W' attached to it (https://puu.sh/EMqyd/84e575227b.png). My UTAU also doesn't sing those 'o' notes either.

I've also seen USTs that have letters like 'G' and sometimes they have numbers after them, like 'G3' for instance. I'm just really confused by this and it's very frustrating and time consuming to manually remove every letter, and I noticed when I do remove the letters, then the UST seems to sound kind of choppy as compared to the parts that didn't have letters attached to them in the first place.

I haven't been using UTAU for very long, so if someone could explain what these letters are, and how I can actually make my UTAU sing those notes without removing them, that would be greatly appreciated!

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
The W's are suffixes. They're often used in multi-pitch banks or banks with appends.
The "o R" notes are possibly end-breath/end-vowel notes.
It's not too uncommon that they are left in distributed ust files. A quick way to remove them is to use the built-in tool SuffixBroker:
Select all the notes, then go to tools>built-in tools>SuffixBroker and then check the box for removing the prefix and hit ok. It may not work on the end-breaths/vowels, so they have to be removed manually.

For the choppy-ness make sure you've cleared the STP in the region property settings and hit the reset and P2P3/P1P4. this will apply the oto.ini settings of the bank that is selected to the notes. To access region property select all notes and right-click on a note. If you can't see the STP box, click on the blue "Details" in the opened window. To clear it, click inside the box and hit space/remove what is there.
The reset and P2P3/P1P4 buttons are located right under the render button on the upper right of UTAU's window.
Hope this answered your questions and was helpful!:wink:

katsushi

Momo's Minion
The W's are suffixes. They're often used in multi-pitch banks or banks with appends.
The "o R" notes are possibly end-breath/end-vowel notes.
It's not too uncommon that they are left in distributed ust files. A quick way to remove them is to use the built-in tool SuffixBroker:
Select all the notes, then go to tools>built-in tools>SuffixBroker and then check the box for removing the prefix and hit ok. It may not work on the end-breaths/vowels, so they have to be removed manually.

For the choppy-ness make sure you've cleared the STP in the region property settings and hit the reset and P2P3/P1P4. this will apply the oto.ini settings of the bank that is selected to the notes. To access region property select all notes and right-click on a note. If you can't see the STP box, click on the blue "Details" in the opened window. To clear it, click inside the box and hit space/remove what is there.
The reset and P2P3/P1P4 buttons are located right under the render button on the upper right of UTAU's window.
Hope this answered your questions and was helpful!:wink:

This was exactly was I was looking for, thank you for the detailed explanation!