Keeping track of transitions...

When writing reclists (especially VCV,) how do you all keep track of making sure there's something for every possible transition? I've wanted to write a few reclists of personal use of various mora-length, but I always have trouble with this part unless I'm making 2~3 mora reclists with lots of extras...

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For VCV lists, make your master vowel patterns first, then cut the long string into shorter lengths. When you cut the string, make sure to keep the vowel you're cutting, so that you still have all the necessary transitions.

For example, in Japanese you have 5 vowels (Not including n because you can't put consonants in front of n). 5+1 is 6, which is the length of the master pattern. Start each string by doubling the vowel, then alternate with the other vowels until you reach the correct length. The full pattern strings would look like this.

a-a-i-a-u-a
i-i-u-i-e-i
u-u-e-u-o-u
e-e-o-e-a-e
o-o-a-o-i-o

If you aren't cutting the strings then you'd just copy+paste the patterns and change out the consonant. For example:

ka-ka-ki-ka-ku-ka
ga-ga-gi-ga-gu-ga

If you do want to cut the pattern string, it would be like this

1. Cut: a-a-i / -a-u-a
2. Restore the vowel along the cut: a-a-i / i-a-u-a
3. Repeat until you've finished cutting: a-a-i / i-a-u / u-a

Now you've got a new batch of base patterns for the rest of the reclist, and you insert the consonants into these patterns instead.

ka-ka-ki
ki-ka-ku
ku-ka
ga-ga-gi
gi-ga-gu
gu-ga