LearnUTAU launch!

NordGeit

Your stubborn Yotsuba Channel frequenter. Direct.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
While I did try to put it on Community News due to this having some pretty huge potentials and potential implications, I suppose it's better to start small. And also because I have no idea if the mods even check the site. Also I got a fair bit emotional, so I suppose it's best to start with a refreshed mind.

Quickly dropping the link here, but do read on! It's importiant to set the context for this site.

LearnUTAU​

learnutaulogo2.png

Wait, says the MMDer... This sounds familiar...​

A site for learning UTAU. Or... If people get in on it, that is.

The concept is as simple as the site itself.
It hosts articles created by users of UTAU explaining things from plugins, voicebank configurations, techniques and the program itself, and on a good day, philosophy.
While we're not quite in a dark fog of information starvation as Reggie Dentmore was when he started and created LearnMMD, it's still quite difficult to find information on UTAU, due to the fact that there's not really a specific site that holds and organizes everything. Or, if there is, then it doesn't have that good a name.........
This site aims to fulfill around the same purposes as LearnMMD, just in my own style.

LearnMMD does, indeed, host articles by other people than Reggie himself, so here's how you get articles up on the site.
Find the link at the bottom of the page saying "Find out about writing for LearnMMD!"
Send Reggie an email saying you want to write for LearnMMD, explaining a bit about yourself and what you've done with the program.
Have a back-and-forth... Usually, don't know how those are like since I got accepted instantly due to being unique.
You get a login to the Wordpress panel, where you can create a new article draft. Follow the instructions given to you, or else he won't be able to put it in.
After some back-and-forth with that article and setup, you give Reggie the OK to put the article for all to view.
??? amount of articles later, you can maybe put stuff directly on the site.
Source: Guess who wrote this article
Now, it's a pretty secure system. Hard to really destroy, since there's several layers to even putting ONE article up.
Now if you took a look at my site and saw the LearnMMD process, then you'll notice I'm not using Wordpress to manage my site. Actually, I'm not really using anything other than my server provider and the cPanel they provide me.
So how, in comparison, does one submit an article onto LearnUTAU?
Find something related you want to write about, whether it be a tuning technique or a function of the program not covered.
On the Contribuiton index, you'll find a link to an HTML template. This contains everything you need to contribute, even with no HTML skills, since you'll be learning as you go. The contribution index also has some pages on programs I recommend using in order to keep your filesizes down.
Write the article using the instructions and rules given to you. This should not be difficult, just a bit time consuming, as you will be writing out a bunch of stuff manually.
When you're finished, you zip up the HTML and the image files, or just the entire folder with everything in it idc, and send it over to me. Preferred email is management@learnutau.no and I accept .zip, .rar and .7z files.
Preferrably you'll also be titling it "New Article - [NAME]", especially as the site grows busier.
I get the email, and the files, and I check it for anything that's wrong with it, and I give feedback or change it, in either way you'll know, or you'll find out the article has been accepted and I'm putting it on the page. It will also be added to my own local copy of the site, should the site go down, so I can then upload the archive.
When it's on the site, I'll update the Article index.
It's... Different, and requires a bit more technical competence as you'll be doing more legwork yourself, but the main weakpoint here is just me. And I am also a living breathing being that grows over time, so the more articles get submitted, the better I get.

EDIT: used to be an article rating system but that has been changed, just send direct feedback and stuff, easier to do this way

As for why it's this manual, it's simple: Security.
You're not writing anything directly onto the page, and everything sent towards me is checked for anything malicious.
And I know what an article is supposed to look like at the HTML level, and the rules. So it's going to be really difficult to sneak anything past me.
So. We've established that the site itself is pretty secure, but if you're asking "What's wrong with our current solutions?" Lemme tell you. Or rather, lemme copy from the about page real quick (EDIT: has recently been deleted on site to replace, however the original version is still here)
Especially now that public dislikes have been disabled for an amount of users on youtube, bad or outdated tutorials are harder to detect.
As for other video hosting sites, barely anyone uses those, no matter how much I wish they would.
This makes solid information harder to obtain. Though Yuunari's (incomplete) tutorial was where I and many others started... Well...
The last issue is, even with a good video, you're still restrained by the video creators pace. And they can be slow, or incredibly bloated.
For comparison... Here are some tutorials on how to make an audio visualizer in kdenlive. (Youtube links)
11 minutes of this clapped guys face. The guide I initially followed.
5 minutes and outdated information. Includes unnessecary intro.
Gigachad 3 minute video, but goes through the steps quickly at the 2:28 mark, so honestly just 45 seconds. And it's my own tutorial.
So yeah, honestly, having articles you can read and absorb at your own pace is way superior.
Searching up information in these can turn out to be hellish. While writing this, I'm still not sure how to add Teto's appended voicebanks.
Now while I, personally, am registered to Utaforum and could just ask, I'd honestly rather not. And it's worse for those who don't have full control, nor an idea, of how to manage an email account, or register, or just tag and put it correctly.
No amount of pointing to the correct place to ask is going to help because some people are just dissapointments, you know.
Essentially, it's hard to search in a forum because of repeat questions, imperfect wording, coherency issues, and I'm pretty sure some people are getting tired of answering the same questions on repeat. Having a solid site that holds all this is a good solution to the problem.
It shares some of the problems with the forums, but even worse, since to get into one of these to get the information within, you need to:
  1. Have an e-mail account, and most likely also a smartphone with a phone number (Hope your phone number works!),
  2. Accept the terms and guidelines of the service(s) in question (Which includes some of them nabbing yer data and letting them spy on you)
  3. Find an invite link to the group chat (or server or whatever),
  4. Read the rules for this specific niche, even if you just need one or two things,
  5. Hopefully appeal enough to the clique with your question or them just letting you in in the first place,
  6. And then, finally, get your questions answered or be sent to some pinned post.
Even if it is a community designed around helping others, if you're not interested in commitment, you just want s- ahem one piece of info, you still have to go through a lot of hoops.
I'll stick a rant about discord especially somewhere around here, but to summarize: It locks out people under 13, openly non-mainstream thinkers, and you're at the mercy of a moderation team on both the service and server which is known to be absolute[[LY INCOMPETENT, SELFISH AND OVEREMOTIONAL!!!11]](Edited to remove swearing)
Just tell them to make a LearnUTAU article already. I don't make any profit off this. And even if I allow donations, I won't pocket any of it myself.

OH HEY ADDITION!
There's another thing. These, and to a slightly lesser extent, forums, are HIGHLY susceptible to drama, in fact when I woke up and checked twitter, YAYANEHI's discord server just... Died? Maybe they got raided idk I don't depend on it wasn't there use Telegram
And the stupid stuff they do to prevent raiding only makes it difficult for people who have ONE question. Even worse if the entire community is there. Absolute idiocy.
In the end, LearnUTAU is exempt from all these problems. Articles instead of poorly paced videos, a static site with no user interaction (At first, might add a comment section, if I can find a secure way to implement it), and the only drama touching it is through me, and I take this seriously enough to not mess it up.
The only weaknesses I do know of is someone managing to get themselves into the cPanel or DDOSing the site, in which case I'll upload my local copy of the site so that people can still access the info, and try to manage the situation as quickly and cleanly as possible.
Now if all of this sounds promising, which it should, there's one problem...
I need help
I created this site precisely due to a lack of information. So my UTAU knowledge, itself, is lacking.
Therefore, there are (almost!) no articles on the site, and I (Just recently uploaded the Preparation article as well as Installation)
So...
Yeah, the whole thing about article sumbission? It's necessary for the site to live.
This is where you guys come in.
You know what to do.
Tiny amount of questions about otherwise inconsequential stuff:

Why .no domain?​

Also hosted on servers located in Norway.
tetosfavcountry.png
Well, that and I'm norwegian myself. And Norid, the ones who manage the whole .no domain, also has relative anonymity for private citizens, which means I don't have to reveal my actual identity yay

Why does the website look straight outta uhhhhhhhhhh 2002​

Light to load, and complete customizability, since I wrote this by hand. It also works with IE11 and only some cosmetic stuff is broken in bloody Netscape Navigator, so anyone can access it!

Bad site​

shut up, you didn't make it, and you never bothered to.

*something about disc-*​

Didn't I already tell you why that's a bad idea?

You don't know-​

I will if you start contributing.

Coding is ha-​

The autist nerds at Yotsuba Channels /g/ijutsu board doesn't consider HTML to be coding, and neither do I. You're simply writing text and defining what kind it is.

*starts beatboxing*​

*Starts beatboxing but only this*

I do site. You do article. Just work with me if you're worried it'll go bad.

Aight, let's do this.

Last edited:

NordGeit

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Oh yeah, and also just ask any questions you have that isn't covered in the thread or on the site.

Reactions: Deleted member 8834

NordGeit

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I honestly cannot believe after all my last-checks that I forgot to include a link both within the page and here, this page:
https://learnutau.no/articles/articlerequests.html
If you have no idea what to write about, pick something from this list!

Last edited: