LEGENDARIES; interactive UTAU fanfiction

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
How to read this:
Read the chapter. At every chapter there's a link to a poll. Vote for your favourite option. The option that gets the majority of votes within a week will be picked. From that option I will write the next chapter.

Cast list, growing with each chapter:
Enbukyoku Aline
Ñal
Hakune Yuugi as the bug
Sonone Linako

Chapter one:

The screen of her laptop flickered once, twice. After that, finally the starting screen of her game came up. It was still flickering, but it was picked out of a messy, dusty old box at a garage sale so she wasn’t expecting anything huge. The CD was packed in some messy foil, sealed with tape and the game was just called ‘Legendaries’. The starting screen was plain and didn’t look like it was made in this century. There seemed to be a save file, but when she tried to view it a pop-up came into view reading ‘File is finished’. Apparently there was no replay value. So, all she was left with was the ‘New Game’ option. And when she pressed it the screen changed to some kind of intro.

‘Hello new player! Thank you for playing LEGENDARIES, a story like no other! In this world, the choices you make affect the game and story, so think carefully before acting! LEGENDARIES uses an unique system to give you the best playing experience, so sit tight and hold your eyes on the screen!’

Just sale talk. Pretty boring. But she kept her eyes on her screen. It wasn’t like she had anything to do anyway.

‘INSERT YOUR NAME’

Was that all? She had to insert her name? Very well then.

‘ALINE’

When hitting enter, the screen of her laptop flickered once, twice. Then everything became reality.

-

“Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Are you awake? Hello?” The reply was a soft groan and a waving hand. Soon enough, she sat up and got a good look at her companion. “You’re a floating ball of light.”

“Yes, yes I am. My name is Ñal. Welcome, Aline.” She rubbed her eyes. Ad she rubbed them again. “Oh great, I am in the game, right?” She dusted herself off, noticing her attire had changed. “Oh great… I’m going to get killed by a dog with rabies now, aren’t I?”

“No, you are not. Why are you thinking that? You are only in the tutorial level.” Ñal was floating around her head. She tried to wave him away. Didn’t work. “I am your guide through the game. Are you ready to start the tutorial?” She was ready. She got up, dusting herself off some more. “I’m ready. Let’s start. The faster I get over it the better.”

“Great! First, I must explain you about your current class.” Ñal began immediately, leaving no time to look around. She did it anyway. Apparently, she ended up in a dark room made out of wood. “Your current class is mercenary. You will be able to change jobs both through quests and through choosing- Hey, are you paying attention?” She wasn’t, obviously, but she spun around quickly to act as if she was. “Yes? Good. You cannot change weapons, however. You must pick a weapon now and you can only upgrade it during the game.” She nodded understandingly. Ñal asked: “What weapon would you prefer?”

“I prefer bricks.”

Ñal apparently wasn’t expecting that. However, soon enough a brick fell on the floor front of her. It looked a bit ragged, but that was fine. She would throw it anyway. “A brick it is! We didn’t have it in our database, so it’s programmed as a boomerang. I hope you don’t mind.”, Ñal explained. She shook her head. “Perfect.”, was her answer. “Good. Your bag is right next to you, it contains potions and revivals. You’ll get a map and other key items later on. Shall we start the first level?”

“Fine by me.”

-

The first level was in a quiet town. Standard for a lot of games she had played. Ñal explained to her that she had to find a quest in here somewhere to make progress. And that was fairly simple. Talking to the first person she met ended up with a quest. “Have you heard of the dragon living just outside of town? It eats us NPCs if we don’t watch out at night!”

Quest: What about the dragon?

“So, our first objective is to get more information about this dragon.”, Ñal stated. “Let’s talk to other NPCs to find out more.” That was a good idea. They talked to more NPCs immediately.

“I think someone should ask the dragon to go live somewhere else.”

“I heard the dragon only eats faceless NPCs. Are we so unimportant for the story?”

“The Queen is giving out a reward for the adventurer that will kill the dragon!”

“I wonder why the dragon only eats at night. Doesn’t he get hungry during the day?”

“Hey, have you heard about that weird NPC up ahead? He looks all kind of square-y.”

The last message was different. It wasn’t about the dragon. “Can we check it out?”, she asked. “Of course, maybe it has some valuable Intel on the dragon-quest. Our goal is to collect information until the game gives is an option-screen.”, Ñal replied. She was interested, of course. She went north. All the way north. The last NPC was right. This one looked really square-y. And he seemed to have some kind of face. All the other NPCs she met until now did not have a face at all. Including Ñal, who was still a floating orb of light. “Hello?”, she tried.

“The dragon is my ******. They should leave him alone. He can’t help it he gets hungry. It’s just faceless NPCs anyway. ******”

Silence. She didn’t know what to say. Ñal kept silent too. Until he blinked. “We have our three options! Time for a quest end!. Shall I explain?” She nodded. “Alright then. Every quest ends with a quest end. The player chooses one of the collected three options to proceed, which usually leads to a confrontation with a boss. Do you understand?” She nodded again. It was easy. Easier than expected. “Good. Here are your three options.”

1. Ask the dragon to go live somewhere else.

2. Kill the dragon and claim the reward at the royal castle.

3. Listen to the weird NPC and leave the dragon alone.

Ñal floated in front of her. “So, what will you do?”

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Awesome !

The idea of a tutorial and quest-like adventure was quite entertaining and fun ! I love the fact Ñal is present in it ;u; (I know someone who will be happy to see that hihi~)

Also, I giggled at the choice of the brick that acts like a boomerang x'D (brick-merang ?)

I hesitated between the 2 (because SHE'S BADURSE YUHUH) and the 3 (Hmmmm...DOUBTSDOUBTSDOUBTS) but... I managed to choose now ;D

I can't wait to read the next chapter~

SakisCookie

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
This...looks amazing. 8D

......is it sad that the intro felt like the opening to a creepypasta?

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Milly, I really like that word, brick-merang! xD

@Saki, I was actually writing it when I thought the same thing. It really looked like a creepypasta! So, nothing sad about that. xD

Thank you for your comments.

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The poll closed. Thank you all for voting. The winning option is:

3. Listen to the weird NPC and leave the dragon alone.

The new chapter will be uploaded soon.

For thosewho might be wondering when I close polls, I do this when I don't see any changes over a period of around 24 hours. (A day.)

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Chapter 2 is here! Thanks for waiting, and please vote.

She looked at Ñal. She looked at the person with his deformed face. Actually, she was interested in what would happen if she listened to him. Curiosity killed the cat, of course. But she was no cat, and this was a game anyway. Right? Right. Here goes nothing.

“I think we should leave him be. The dragon needs to get food, right? Humans eat animals too, so I don’t think it’s a huge problem.”

Immediately, the square-looking NPC began to glow. She watched him. But he kept on glowing for a long time. “I think I broke the game.” Ñal went over to inspect him, and then suddenly he stopped glowing.

“Poof!”, he said, grinning like a madman. “That was pretty good! I thought I would never get out…” The new, not square-looking NPC had a fully working face, it seemed. She watched him carefully while he was checking himself out. “Are you my boss battle?”

“Oh, no! You actually skipped the potential first boss by picking this option.” He dusted himself off. “I’m a bug.” Ñal floated back towards her. “A bug! I heard the game contained some of these. I never really found one.” The bug grinned at them. “Well, congratulations! Thank you for keeping my friend alive too! I believe I should reward you know…” He seemed to think about this for a while. “Ah! I think I know what you need!” He jumped up and down in excitement, and soon after, she felt herself glow.

NEW TITLE: Bug Buster
- EA should hire you immediately, they need someone to hunt down the glitches. -

The bug smiled widely. “I love giving titles. The descriptions make no sense!” He hopped up and down once more. “I should probably upgrade your weapon too. And give you some useful items! Wait right here!” She expected him to run off to get the items from somewhere, but instead he just jumped again, and the items dropped on the ground.

WEAPON UPGRADE: Holy Brickmoly!
- Look at this shiny, sturdy piece of brick! No-one, not even demons from hell, will survive a smack to the head from this baby. -

OBTAINED LOOT:
‘These shoes look awfully familiar’ in red
- Something about these red shoes gives you an odd feeling of déjà-vu. –
Buggy Bar
- Red and white wrapper? Chocolate bar inside? Where have you seen this before? Whatever, this thing heals you anyway. –
Electric Angel Wings
- Yes! Now you can fly! Although these wings make you look more like a bug than an angel. –

The descriptions really are weird. There’s really no way she can justify those weird sentences. But they are fun. Some of them. In a wicked kind of way. The items were useful, though. Except those shoes. They weren’t useful. But at least they looked nice.

“Great!” The bug jumped, again. “You’re all set and done! You’ll have to follow the gray brick pavement now. You’ll find your next mission out there!” He pointed at a pavement, obviously made of gray bricks. However, the ground also turned gray where the road started. She just had to ask.

“Why is it gray? Why not a bright color, like yellow?”

“Copyright issues.”, was the definite reply. She could understand this, although it was a bit stupid. “Well, have fun out there! Bye bye!” The bug shouted at her as soon as she stepped on the road in front of her. He then disappeared, leaving her and Ñal alone.

The path was very boring. The world around her was very boring. In fact, it was so boring, not even Ñal could say something interesting. Nothing triggered him. So when they finally reached a farmland, she was more than exited. “Yes! Finally some signs of life!” Ñal was obviously exited as well, since he floated up and down rapidly. She ran to the nearby farm as fast as she could and opened the door. There was, in fact, a farmer inside! A faceless one, but at least there was someone.

“Young child! Do not come near to the pumpkin patches, for they are haunted!” The NPC immediately screamed when she came closer. “If only someone could beat the ghost, our pumpkins would be save once again!”

“So, I guess we have our quest?”, she said.

“Yes, very much!”, Ñal replied.

Quest: Haunted pumpkins?

She took Ñal with her to find any other NPCs for more options. However, the farmlands were almost empty. It took them a while to find the next two. A small child and an elderly woman, both faceless.

“I wish someone took down that scary scarecrow. It gives me the creeps, and the crows don’t eat the haunted pumpkins anyway.”, the child said.

“I wonder if you can make soup of those haunted vegetables. Maybe it has some interesting side-effects!”, the old woman said.

Immediately, Ñal blinked. “We have our options! Now, let’s take a look at them!”

1. Defeat the ghost.

2. Take the scarecrow.

3. Boil soup of the haunted pumpkins
“These make no sense…”, she muttered. “But you’ll have to pick one anyway.”, Ñal replied.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I enjoyed this chapter and I loved the description of bugs ouo

And the haunted pumpkins is a nice idea too~ I voted !

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Hika, Maybe? I don't know... Depends on the voting I guess.

Thank you both!

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The second poll has been closed! Thank you all for voting! The winning option is:

1. Defeat the ghost.

The new chapter will be uploaded shortly. Thank you for reading!

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Welcome to chapter 3! Please vote after reading, thank you!

“Well, the option that looks the least stupid is killing the ghost. So let’s kill it.” She was confident she could defeat a ghost. Killing it would be a complete different story, because it was already dead. She figured it might just have been a typo, since the whole game is weird.
“Let’s go then! The Boss should appear right before us if we enter the fields.”, Ñal replied. She followed him into the farmlands, where the Boss Ghost appeared right before her nose. It grinned at her, and giggled before floating away. But instead of running after it, she grabbed her Brickmerang and threw it.

It was a one-hit K.O.

The ghost got hit, stopped floating, looked like it was going to fall and then poofed away, leaving some items where it first was. She caught her brickmerang, and ran to the precious loot, with Ñal following her closely.

OBTAINED LOOT:
Reapers Clothes
- Apparently this is what reapers wear? The black cape is a bit overdone though.

NEW TITLE: Who You Gonna Call?
- Good to know that you’re not afraid of no ghost!

The cape looked hideous to her. In fact, she didn’t even want to carry it with her. “Do these clothes do anything next to making me look different?”, she asked Ñal. “Some clothes have effects, but I can’t tell you if this has one. If you don’t want to wear it, I’ll hold it for you.”

Ñal was a floating orb of light. She seriously doubted the one who wrote the script for this.

“Yeah, sure. I don’t want to wear it.” As she said that, the cape blinked away. “It’s now in your inventory, you can ask it back when you need it.”, Ñal explained.

Seemed legit enough.

Walking back to the farm, the old faceless farmer was waiting for her. “Child! I thank you for defeating the ghost! Please accept these directions to a nearby nunnery as a gift!” She took the directions. “They are taking us away from the grey road.” Ñal replied: “That apparently isn’t our main objective anymore now.” She sighed. This game was way too complicated.

-

The nunnery was huge. And grim. Almost grimdark, even. She was happy that was a legit word now. Because otherwise she wouldn’t be able to describe the place. Together with Ñal she entered the building. And it was deserted.

“Why are we here if there’s no-one else.”, she muttered, watching all the statues carefully. She didn’t even dare to blink, who knew what those things did when she wasn’t watching.
“Oh dear! Visitors!”

The voice almost made her jump out of her skin. She quietly thanked the Gods that this was a videogame, and turned around to see who was talking to her. It was a nun. With a face. So it was a major character too. “Hello dears! I’m terribly sorry for the mess, we don’t get visitors often.”

“Why not?”

“Because no-one seems to pick this gameroute, dear!”, the nun replied, smiling sweetly. “But I’m glad you did, because I am dying for some company.” She felt how the nun took her hands. “What is your name dear? Mine is Linako.”

“Aline.”

“Well then Aline. Since you are here, would you mind if I would join your party? I would like to go to the city nearby, but I am useless on my own I’m afraid.”

“I don’t mind.”

NEW PARTY MEMBER!
- Linako: Healer Class

Linako squealed. “Let’s head out for the city then!”

She nodded. Linako apparently knew her way around in the area, so it wouldn’t hurt to follow her. Would it?

-

The city was even bigger than the nunnery. Humongous. That was a word, right? Well, that’s what she used to describe the city. And it was bustling with faceless NPCs! They were all shouting about the Emperor too. Very weird. “Who is the Emperor?”, she asked. “I don’t know.”, Ñal replied. “Well, it’s our Emperor, of course! His Almighty One! He leads this country.”, Linako said.

An Emperor leading the country? Wasn’t there a Queen two levels ago? This game was getting more confusing by the minute.

“Ah, look at that!”

Linako was pointing out towards a poster.

MISSING: OUR CHEF

“A restaurant without a chef…”, she mumbled. The poster mentioned something about a reward when the chef was found. “Should we go look for him?”, she asked. Linako nodded. “Let’s hope the dear chef is okay…”, she replied sadly.

Quest: The Chef’s missing!

“We need two more options, as usual.”, Ñal said. “So let’s look for clues somewhere.”
She nodded. Linako followed her and Ñal through the city. They asked everyone about the chef, but no-one seemed to be telling something important. Until:

“I heard the chef got kidnapped. He was going to prepare a banquet for the Emperor. The kidnappers plan to sabotage the banquet. Someone has to stop them!”

“Oh dear.”, Linako said. “That doesn’t sound too good.”

“Why would you want to sabotage something made for the ruler of your country?” She was sure she wasn’t one of the brightest kids in town, but this was just plain weird.

“Because he’s a tyrant!”, Another facelles NPC shouted. “Everyone should support these brave people! They fight for our freedom!”

Linako shook her head in sorrow. Ñal was blinking rapidly. “Our choices?”, she asked him calmly.

1. Free the chef

2. Stop the kidnappers

3. Sabotage the banquet.

“I’m not sure if any of these are a good idea.”, Linako said. “But what do you think, Aline?”

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Ant Me too, altough it took me some time. The last part was initally very different, but that ddn't satisfy me, so I rewrote it.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
This chpater was as mazing as the previous ones

And I laughed at the Ghostbusters reference x'D

Also, I voted~

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@Milly Thank you! I'll be awaiting your votes patiently. It's always funny how you guys vote for exactly the opposite of what I expect you to do!

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Poll number 3 is closed! Winning option:

Sabotage the banquet.

Now watch how fast this will be written. No jokes.