Making friends in college?

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I just started today, and while I'm more lost and confused than lonely (no one from my school is attending here), I know soon I'll really be wanting a friend or two. Lunch was really lonely. You can really tell who else is new, hah.

So, since I know an increasing percentage of the UTAU community is adults in college/graduating college, any advice for myself and others on how to make friends?

I'll always have my old friends (love you Cola uwaaaah) but I really don't want to have my spare time be filled with nothing. Eating lunch with someone would be nice. orz

(At college right now actually, no sites blocked and .exe files can run, so I can use ZIP UTAU alllriiiiight. Or play some VBA. I'm just bored in this 2.5 hour gap between two of my classes, and it's a 40 minute trip to school so I just wait around...)

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Go to clubs, if there are any you're interested in! That's a sure-fire way to find some people with common interests to you. Talk to the people in your classes, though bear in mind intro classes are a real mixed bag (lots of different kinds of people have to take them) and when you get to classes that are more specific to your major you'll meet a lot more people. Though, at the very least you can make small talk about the class itself, then see if anything more interesting comes up (and if not, move on and that's fine too, maybe you can at least help each other with homework). Keep an eye out for events, too, because it's fairly easy to meet people with common interests that way, again.

What happened to me is, I went to work and offhandedly mentioned video games to a coworker, who then talked to me for several hours and ended up inviting me to his dorm room, and through him I met a ton of people, some of whom are now my roommates. Meeting people through other people is the easiest, but that requires you to meet someone first... so just talk to people. There are plenty of other people looking for friends, and surely some of them will make good ones. though that's pretty bad advice because I never follow it oops, I'm shy...;