Mixing Critique?

ScuroKun

Teto's Territory
Something sounds off about the way this was mixed, do you think someone could kind of point me in the right way to do this orz;;;;

UTAU: Yorune Mimi
Ust by Kyaami

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/shiria-1/love-hero-yorune-mimi[/soundcloud]

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Before I start, lemme say that I assume everyone uses Audacity when mixing, because it's what I use orz. Totally correct me if I'm wrong!

It doesn't sound too bad, but dat volume issue. Did you compress the vocals before mixing it with the karaoke? You should also compress it again after you mix the vocals with the karaoke.

Definite EQ usage. Assuming you use Audacity, it sounds like you used the Treble Boost default setting...even if you didn't/have no idea what I'm talking about, you must must MUST compress after using EQs. They tend to cause volume imbalances. Mimi's got these strong consonants, & most EQs will emphasize them, so be careful. Also, I notice there isn't a smooth transition between the verse into the pre-chorus, which could probably be fixed with compressing. (Please notice how I'm stressing the compression here orz).

This song was a pain to mix though D: so don't feel too bad. I had such a hard time getting it just right OTL & I still think the mixing on it sucks. Don't get too discouraged!

ScuroKun

Teto's Territory
stormylullaby link said:
Before I start, lemme say that I assume everyone uses Audacity when mixing, because it's what I use orz. Totally correct me if I'm wrong!

It doesn't sound too bad, but dat volume issue. Did you compress the vocals before mixing it with the karaoke? You should also compress it again after you mix the vocals with the karaoke.

Definite EQ usage. Assuming you use Audacity, it sounds like you used the Treble Boost default setting...even if you didn't/have no idea what I'm talking about, you must must MUST compress after using EQs. They tend to cause volume imbalances. Mimi's got these strong consonants, & most EQs will emphasize them, so be careful. Also, I notice there isn't a smooth transition between the verse into the pre-chorus, which could probably be fixed with compressing. (Please notice how I'm stressing the compression here orz).

This song was a pain to mix though D: so don't feel too bad. I had such a hard time getting it just right OTL & I still think the mixing on it sucks. Don't get too discouraged!

Thanks! I use garageband (I use a mac) But I pretty much get the gist of what you're saying, especially with the EQ's. Garageband has similar names for them. I'm not completely sure how to compress though, orz;;; Do you just re-export it from audacity? /was never completely sure what it was, even though I've heard it said many many times

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
O: I HAVE A MAC TOO~
Mixing in Garageband is hard for me though...I dunno why D:
I suggest you at least try Mac!Audacity for full-blown mixing. It's pretty easy to use & not that bad once you learn how to use it.
The compression though is Effects -> Compression xD
Make sure that BOTH boxes are checked in the window when using it o3o