Name Advice?

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
Alright, I'll be honest.
I made my utau almost 2 years ago, with the name Yamiko Rin. I had no idea that wasn't appropriate until a few months ago, after being told on this forum that Yamiko was not a good choice for a surname. I changed it to Yamikou (which, in kanji, is dark-lord. I didn't just add a random u at the end, thank you very much.)

However, I'm not pleased with the name as it is. I'd kind of like to drop the Yamikou bit altogether because the character himself is not Japanese (he's from a culture I made up) so how much "trouble" would I be in if I simply called him Rin? Or should I drag out my conlang for his culture and select a surname from there? I'm leaning towards the conlang option, but I would like a little bit of feedback before I do anything. ^^;

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
Alright, I'll be honest.
I made my utau almost 2 years ago, with the name Yamiko Rin. I had no idea that wasn't appropriate until a few months ago, after being told on this forum that Yamiko was not a good choice for a surname. I changed it to Yamikou (which, in kanji, is dark-lord. I didn't just add a random u at the end, thank you very much.)

However, I'm not pleased with the name as it is. I'd kind of like to drop the Yamikou bit altogether because the character himself is not Japanese (he's from a culture I made up) so how much "trouble" would I be in if I simply called him Rin? Or should I drag out my conlang for his culture and select a surname from there? I'm leaning towards the conlang option, but I would like a little bit of feedback before I do anything. ^^;

Yes, I'm replying to myself.

I've made the decision that since he was created 2 YEARS AGO and not something like "2 weeks ago" that it really isn't feasible for me to completely change his name. It doesn't make sense, and I will apologize for using "yami" which apparently is a "taboo" word in names around here? According to the do's and don'ts I read, which in my defense 2 years ago I had no idea it existed. OTL (Heck, 2 years ago I had no idea that the Utaforum existed. So.)
Forgive the young teenage Ib who had little knowledge of Japanese and no idea about UTAU fandom/culture, please? She really didn't know what she was getting into. ^^;

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I would like to say that you do not need to change your UTAU's name unless you absolutely WANT to.

I think that his name is ok as Yamiko Rin. You don't need to change his name just because "DOs and DON'Ts tutorial" (I saw you to comment in there).

I suggest to NOT take "DOs and DON'Ts tutorial" too personally.

It's meaning is to give advises for NEW UTAU users who don't know anything. If you done something what it says that "is not good" (in this case naming) TWO years ago, you do not need to change. That "tutorial" is made for people who just, now 2016, started UTAU. That do not effect us who has created own years ago.

Think once more. If you decide to at the end change his name, I can help you to rename him.

Reactions: Zoku

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
I would like to say that you do not need to change your UTAU's name unless you absolutely WANT to.

I think that his name is ok as Yamiko Rin. You don't need to change his name just because "DOs and DON'Ts tutorial" (I saw you to comment in there).

I suggest to NOT take "DOs and DON'Ts tutorial" too personally.

It's meaning is to give advises for NEW UTAU users who don't know anything. If you done something what it says that "is not good" (in this case naming) TWO years ago, you do not need to change. That "tutorial" is made for people who just, now 2016, started UTAU. That do not effect us who has created own years ago.

Think once more. If you decide to at the end change his name, I can help you to rename him.

Thank you. I needed to hear that.

I've decided that I'm keeping his name as is, since as you said, that tutorial is for new users just starting out. (By keeping his name, I mean he's staying in his current form as "Yamikou Rin". It was changed to that last November, I believe. And it was a change I thought hard about and am happy with, mainly because it can theoretically be pronounced in the same, or similar way as Yamiko.)

In any case, thank you very much. I sometimes get really self-conscious, and need a reminder like this. ^^;

Reactions: Nohkara